44 Super Blackhawk site pin drifting out?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
I've noticed that the site pin on my Super Blackhawk drifts right out very easily. I can push it out with a toothpick and back in with a toothpick Is there a way I could fix that like peen And then drive it in so it stays in What's the best way to do that.Maybe expand pin on one end? thank you, George

Slenk

Single-Sixer
charlesappel said:
The rear sight pin can be bent very slightly and then driven back in. This normally solves the problem.

That's what I did with the one I have that had that problem. No more problem.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have used both methods, removed and peened to widen the pin at the end and just drifting it out about 3/16" and bending it a little and driving it back in. Both methods work fine. Now I just use the bend method. It is the easiest and least apt to cause any damage to the guns finish.
I use a nylon drift to drive the pin back in.
I do this to every Ruger I acquire even before I ever shoot them.
I understand some now come with roll pins instead of the solid pin. This should fix the problem from the factory.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The suggestions above will all do the job.

I prefer to remove pin and tap it with a drift punch to "upset" it about 1/16" from the left side end.

1. Maintains the standard protocol of pins removing from right to left and install from left to right.
2. It insures the sight still pivots smoothly on the center of a straight pin.
3. Makes it easy to remove and replace; it's not tight all the way in or out.
4. This way it keeps both ends round to look right.
5. I replace roll pins with solid pins for the old time panache of quality. But that's just me.

Rclark

Hunter
Yep, this subject comes up a 'lot'. Blue Loctite works fine as does the slight bend. No need to over complicate it or send back to Ruger.

DPris

Buckeye
As always- simplest fix is just the slight bend, and there's no need to remove the pin to do it.
Also no need to complicate the fix, although some tinkerers like to. :)
Peening pins is way over-reacting.

Ruger is migrating roll pins throughout the steel DA revolvers, but as of a couple months back they were not going to do it to the SAs yet.
Denis