Indexing of Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TPAshooter7.62

Single-Sixer
Does anyone have both a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 caliber carbine and 357 Magnum or 44? I'm trying to find out if there are indexing differences between the cylinders, that is, the ratchet star assembly. In other words, if you stuck a 357 magnum cylinder in a 30 caliber carbine version, will the cylinder index? Thanks.

Onty

Single-Sixer
TPAshooter7.62 said:
Does anyone have both a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 caliber carbine and 357 Magnum or 44? I'm trying to find out if there are indexing differences between the cylinders, that is, the ratchet star assembly. In other words, if you stuck a 357 magnum cylinder in a 30 caliber carbine version, will the cylinder index? Thanks.
As far as I know, it will. However, even shorter cylinder of 357 might not fit the 30 frame if OAL of 357 is longer.

I was a wittiness when my friend swapped cylinders between 3 screw 30 carbine and old Flattop 44 Magnum. Indexed perfectly on both revolvers, but we did not check lineup between cylinder chambers and barrel. I can tell you, we scratched our heads in disbelief. Later he sold that 30 carbine, so scary possibility of having 44 cylinder in 30 frame was eliminated.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes all cylinders will interchange, index and align with the bore, the geometry is the same as long as the cylinders have the same number of chambers. With a change of the pawl, even cylinders with a different number of chambers will index and align properly. You could even put a 22 cyl in a large or mid frame and they would index properly, although they'd obviously be way too short in overall length.

But all large frame cyl frame windows are the same length so all large frame cylinders will be the correct overall length, within a couple of thousandths for individual fitting variations. But different caliber cyls can vary in body length as well as the barrel forcing cone to match the cyl body length. A 357 cyl in a 30 carbine would have a huge bar/cyl gap!

Onty

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Yes all cylinders will interchange, index and align with the bore, the geometry is the same as long as the cylinders have the same number of chambers. With a change of the pawl, even cylinders with a different number of chambers will index and align properly. You could even put a 22 cyl in a large or mid frame and they would index properly, although they'd obviously be way too short in overall length.

But all large frame cyl frame windows are the same length so all large frame cylinders will be the correct overall length, within a couple of thousandths for individual fitting variations. But different caliber cyls can vary in body length as well as the barrel forcing cone to match the cyl body length. A 357 cyl in a 30 carbine would have a huge bar/cyl gap!
Here is the kicker; if someone wants custom revolver, with line bored chambers in 357, 41, or 44, 30 Carbine BH is just perfect for this purpose. No custom (and expensive) cylinder required, existing can be used, and the another benefit is that 357 and 41 cylinders will be longer than original ones.

I had plan to do the same on my 41 Bisley, and even managed to get 357 SM cylinder, but nobody in Canada was doing that, and to send revolver in USA and back was just too much hassle, so I gave up and sold everything. Another reason, switched to stainless guns.

The only blue one I would take now are 1917 S&W (still dreaming about one custom 455 with installed adjustable sights), and Webley WG or Wilkinson.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Onty said:
Here is the kicker; if someone wants custom revolver, with line bored chambers in 357, 41, or 44, 30 Carbine BH is just perfect for this purpose. No custom (and expensive) cylinder required, existing can be used, and the another benefit is that 357 and 41 cylinders will be longer than original ones.

I had plan to do the same on my 41 Bisley, and even managed to get 357 SM cylinder, but nobody in Canada was doing that, and to send revolver in USA and back was just too much hassle, so I gave up and sold everything. Another reason, switched to stainless guns.

The only blue one I would take now are 1917 S&W (still dreaming about one custom 455 with installed adjustable sights), and Webley WG or Wilkinson.

You're right, great potential for a custom gun.

A 1917 like this? My M1917 .45 ACP, # 139230 converted to target with a pre war post 1934 2 screw S&W Reg Mag rear site with serrated hump, milled in by Micro Site. Redfield front site blade milled in. Micro Site copy of the King Gunworks double cockeyed hammer.
S&W stocks are early 1950s smooth 'cokes'. No star and no rework date. But every bit as "factory" as a factory rework. Even to the point of not flattening the rebound slide pin protruding on the left side of the frame when re-blued!
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Onty

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
You're right, great potential for a custom gun.

A 1917 like this? My M1917 .45 ACP, # 139230 converted to target with a pre war post 1934 2 screw S&W Reg Mag rear site with serrated hump, milled in by Micro Site. Redfield front site blade milled in. Micro Site copy of the King Gunworks double cockeyed hammer.
S&W stocks are early 1950s smooth 'cokes'. No star and no rework date. But every bit as "factory" as a factory rework. Even to the point of not flattening the rebound slide pin protruding on the left side of the frame when re-blued!
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

That 455 S&W 1917 looks like yours, except hammer. Seems to me a new spur was somehow created, either welding another one or forging old one. Regardless, beautiful custom gun.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Thank you.

If that 455 S&W was originally chambered in 455, it's not a 1917 Model.

It's a ".455 Mk II Hand Ejector, 2nd Model" (sans extractor barrel shroud similar to the 1917) continued in the ".455 1st Model, Triple Lock" Brit serial range beginning #5462 to #74755, shipped 1915-17.

Onty

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Thank you.

If that 455 S&W was originally chambered in 455, it's not a 1917 Model.

It's a ".455 Mk II Hand Ejector, 2nd Model" (sans extractor barrel shroud similar to the 1917) continued in the ".455 1st Model, Triple Lock" Brit serial range beginning #5462 to #74755, shipped 1915-17.

You know better, I am not so familiar with early S&W. Yes, it is original 455.

Some years back I had seen 455 Triple Lock, but revolver was butchered by a bubba who tried to install adjustable sight. Regardless, I now know some welders who are top experts (aerospace), and they might be able to restore top strap. Will see if I can locate noted revolver, and check if barrel (rifling) is in decent shape.

Question; is any common smaller bore cylinder that might be used to make another one for noted revolver? If I remember correctly, original cylinder has heavy outside pitting on about 1/3 of the surface.

Thanks.

Onty

Single-Sixer
Onty said:

Back to topic, I did not mention converting 30 Carbine to 45. If somebody wants to go to 45 Colt, any 44 Magnum could be used. Here are few links for basic caliber conversions:

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/catalog/ruger_single_action_basic_caliber_conversions.html

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/rugerrevolvers.html

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes, many cylinders; the various .44 special models and the .38/44 Heavy Duty (fixed sights) and Outdoorsman (target sights) are N frames of pre war vintage (and post war) with suitable cylinders to re-chamber to 455. Also, .455 original cylinders are still findable.

Recognize S&W 455 barrels have different bore dimensions than 45 ACP: Smith & Wesson lists the bore dimensions for their .455 barrels as follows: groove diameter--.457 to .458; bore diameter--.447 to .448 inch; 5 lands and grooves, right hand twist; grooves--.144 inch wide, lands--.1368 inch.

Therefore hand loaded 455 ammo has greater accuracy and lower pressures in 45 ACP barrels when using smaller diameter bullets. And 45 Colt or ACP with oversized bullets will have greater accuracy potential in 455 barrels.