What do I build with a 357 Maximum 26" T/C Barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I have a T/C Contender with 12" Maximum barrel.

The barrel in question is a new Thompson Center Custom Shop Encore. I was at the Crossroads Gun Show January 23, 2016 and saw this Maximum barrel. I have several Maximum revolvers and I've only seen pictures of several rifles that used the 357 Max. The rifles looked like fun and now I have a chance to put one together.

The seller said the barrel would fit on my TC Contender, but I now don't believe that's accurate. I don't think the Encore barrel fits on the Contender receiver.
The seller also said I could go back and forth between a rifle and a pistol. After reading the BATF letter, I don't believe that's true except for those originally sold as "Kits" (not purchased separately).

So I think I need a new Encore receiver?
I'm off to do the net research, but I thought one of the Maximum guys on here, might have some clever ideas.

Prescut

dakota1911

Buckeye
If made to fit an Encore then I think you will need an Encore receiver. I have TC Contenders all set up as pistols and an Encore rifle in 30-06.

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
Contender barrels fit Contenders and G-2's only, except for some 'Armor alloy' barrels which must be used on Armor alloy Contender frames.
Encore barrels fit Encores only.
AFAIK, if you buy a Contender or Encore originally sold as a pistol, then it can be converted to a rifle and back. If it was purchased as a rifle, it must stay a rifle.
You can buy an Encore frame and buttstock/forend without barrel.

jsh

Single-Sixer
" if you buy a Contender or Encore originally sold as a pistol, then it can be converted to a rifle and back. If it was purchased as a rifle, it must stay a rifle."

This horse has been beaten to death. Get in contact with TC and see how the frame was sold is your best bet. I do mean ORIGINAL purchaser.
If a handgun it can go back and forth.
If you but anything under 16" barrel with the butt stock then you have stepped over the line. As a handgun OAL has to be 25" I believe to be considered a handgun.
There is a LOT of gray area on this subject, do as you deem best/safest.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Precut.... Warren Center designed his Contender as a pistol. T/C chambered .45-70 with 16.25" barrel specifically to interchange between pistol grip and rifle stock. As previously indicated, the accessory buttstock must not be used with barrels shorter than 16-inches. Barrel diameter at water table (cradle) of frame is 0.8-inch.

The Encore was made with thicker frame & barrel to accommodate rifle cartridges. As fine as the .357 Maximum is in a revolver, it takes another step upward when fired from a rifle. Mike Bellm (bellmtcs.com) has worked extensively with the Maximum in Contenders and Encores and performs frame and barrel work.
David Bradshaw

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
I took a nice doe this December with my 20 inch carbine (Encore/maximum). I was impressed with how fast she went down. 20 inches of barrel in a single shot encore is a very handy length, especially it you're in a dog hut. My muzzleloader barrel may never go back on this frame now. I think the ballistics are just about .35 rem. I second Mr. Bradshaw on the bellm website, lots of good reading and sources. regards, kyle

Prescut

Single-Sixer
hey guys,
Great Posts. In order:
I read the Supreme Court decision and the BATF letter regarding TC. This is not from the web where the opinions sound like what the speaker wants them to be.

Supreme Court decision said a TC "Kit" sold as a Kit for rifle and pistol was legal (contains accessory buttstock). BATF said no one could assemble a Kit except TC when they sold it as a Kit.

When not sold as a Kit, the following applies:
BATF went further to state that "once a rifle, always a rifle".
If anyone put a buttstock on a TC sold as a Pistol frame, BATF said it would forever be a rifle from there forward, and only a rifle legally. Putting a pistol grip on it appears to make no difference. However, BATF said changing it back to short barrels constitutes illegal manufacturing of SBR.
If anyone ever put one of their short barrels on a TC sold as a Rifle frame, it would be seen as an illegally manufactured SBR.

Not what I wanted to see, but that's the way I read it.

Yes, I know no one checks. BATF said it was how TC sold it, not how the FFL registered it that counted. I have a Contender pistol frame and I just bought an Encore rifle frame to stay legal and still shoot what I wanted. I would have gotten a Kit, but I have never seen or even heard of a TC Kit outside the court ruling. This ruling still allows the flexibility in the huge caliber selection available.

and Mr. Bradshaw found another way of spelling my moniker.
Mr. Bradshaw had it right when he wrote about, "interchange between pistol grip and rifle stock" with barrel over 16.25". He obviously knows it is a Rifle can have pistol grip with no legal issues.

In that second paragraph, you stated that the Maximum takes another step upward when fired from a rifle. Could you possibly expand your comments on this topic. I have read a fair amount about the Maximum in a revolver, but I have read almost nothing on it in a rifle.
I assume it picks up even more velocity from the longer barrel and there is no B/C gap; but what about recoil, accuracy, or pressures? Would you change the recipe from 19 grains of 4223 and a 180-200g GC?

I have been enjoying Mike Bellm and his site since discovering the Maximum. I have ordered several of his products and they are top notch, as is Mike. I'll look again for rifles.

Thanks for all the comments,
Prescut

Kanook

Buckeye
hey guys,
Great Posts. In order:
I read the Supreme Court decision and the BATF letter regarding TC. This is not from the web where the opinions sound like what the speaker wants them to be.

Supreme Court decision said a TC "Kit" sold as a Kit for rifle and pistol was legal (contains accessory buttstock). BATF said no one could assemble a Kit except TC when they sold it as a Kit.

If anyone put a buttstock on a TC sold as a Pistol frame, BATF said it would forever be a rifle from there forward, and only a rifle legally. Putting a pistol grip on it appears to make no difference. However, BATF said changing it back to short barrels constitutes illegal manufacturing of SBR.
If anyone ever put one of their short barrels on a TC sold as a Rifle frame, it would be seen as an illegally manufactured SBR.

Not what I wanted to see, but that's the way I read it.

Yes, I know no one checks. BATF said it was how TC sold it, not how the FFL registered it that counted. I have a Contender pistol frame and I just bought an Encore rifle frame to stay legal and still shoot what I wanted. I would have gotten a Kit, but I have never seen or even heard of a TC Kit outside the court ruling. This ruling still allows the flexibility in the huge caliber selection available.
This link is what BATFE says about current "pistol to rifle and then back to pistol" https://www.atf.gov/file/55526/download

s4s4u

Hunter

Not any longer the case. If it started as a pistol it can be converted to a rifle and back to a pistol.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
The big thing to remember when converting from pistol to rifle and back to pistol is the order that you swap out the parts.

From pistol to rifle - first remove the barrel that is shorter than 16-1/2 and replace with the longer barrel then you can remove the pistol stock and add the rifle stock if you do it in an other order you have made a short barrel rifle.

From rifle to a pistol remove the rifle stock and replace the pistol stock then remove the barrel attaching the shorter barrel.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Mea Culpa,
I've changed my mind after reading the new letter from BATF. The BATF changed their minds. I believe you can go back and forth now.
Sorry about reading all the old letters and court cases and not seeing the latest interpretations from atf. i hate passing on internet collected myths. I will try to do better in the future.
Prescut

single action

Single-Sixer
similar issue with people taking a ruger charger barrel take down and putting it on the standard take down 10-22. Not good.......