44 Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

keelbolts

Bearcat
I have read about the square back trigger guard knocking your knuckle when shooting the Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag. Have you had trouble with this? Thanks.

Jim Luke said:
I have no problem with it, the round trigger guard whacks mine a lot worse.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ They all whack my knuckle. Sometimes I wear a glove sometimes I put the pad of a bandaid on the knuckle. I do use the square trigger guard, I just cut the barrel length down to what I actually want. Plus I like that the grip is a little longer.

keelbolts

Bearcat
Thanks gents. Hopefully, I won't have any problem with it. I'll let you know how it goes.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum keelbolts.

Your question is not easily answered with a yes or no.
Some people do not have any issues with the square trigger guard, while others do. It all boils down to each individual's hand size, gripping method, and fit. The only way you will get an answer for your is for you to fire one. Use light loads first,, (preferably 44 spls,) then work up to full power magnums. You may find differences depending upon ammo as well.
And if you are not familiar with the proper method & gripping of shooting a SA revolver,,, I'd suggest you get some GOOD instruction. It might help you more than you know.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
If you shoot full power stuff, especially off a bench sooner or later your knuckle is gonna get smacked. Square or round guard. At least this has been my experience.

SPBhawk

Single-Sixer
When I first shot mine, it hit me a little, and I do have big hands. After shooting it a bit I figured out how to hold it and I don't have a problem. I can shoot full loads just fine with it. They really are a great shooting gun. I have a standard SBH square gourd, I've fired the bisley gun also, it to will hit me to if I don't hold it properly. After shooting both types I think I prefer the square guard plow handle grip.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
keelbolts.... as Contender alludes, people are unique----an individual anatomy for the each of us. The .44 Magnum is a wonderful cartridge. Bill Ruger's first .44 Mag was built on the Blackhawk, which grip mimics the Colt Peacemaker, one of the all-time natural grips. Alas, in 1873 the Peacemaker handle wasn't obliged to tame a .44 Magnum. Talk about a knuckle-splitter, the original .44 Mag Blackhawk! Leastwise, in my hand.

The Super Blackhawk was Bill Ruger's adaptation of his nearly indestructible Blackhawk to the big forty-four. Unfortunately, the exaggerated flare of factory walnut grips accentuates roll on recoil, which may send the trigger guard into your middle finger. (Custom wood stocks should be thicker at the top.) To slow recoil roll, I use a HEAL INDEX grip, wherein the heal of my palm indexes the butt of the revolver grip. This creates an air gap between my middle finger and the trigger guard.

Pachmayr lead the way in aftermarket grip development. Uncle Mike's followed with its own, slimmer rubber stock. Steve Herrett lead the way for a wood alternative to the factory stocks.

A not-so-secret secret of the single action grip----don't fight it if you intend to shoot straight. One learns to ride recoil. Whatever your grip pressure, there cannot be any panic anywhere about it. This is where DRY FIRE comes in. Dry fire tones muscles in the coordinations requisite to CONSISTENCY. MARKSMANSHIP is a child of consistency. No gun in the world takes dry fire better than a Ruger.

And... Yes, the Dragoon trigger guard bumps my middle finger with full house .44s. Back in the raucous days of silhouette, I was about the last shooter dragged to the Pachmayr party, despite having worked the International Championship with factory walnut stocks. Today I shoot that long retired sixgun with one or another set of factory wood, and rather love it. Nostalgia, I suppose.
David Bradshaw

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I just put a Bandaid around that area of my finger. I keep a box of them in my range box and never go home with a bloody finger like what used to happen.
I have also found that the Hunter Grip frame is much more friendly in that regard,at least for me.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
NO ! NEVER ! Going back fifty years. This phenomenon is exclusively determined by YOUR hand size, hand shape, hand strength, and experience.
And so it goes...

Jason280_2

Single-Sixer
I don't have issues with mine, either, but I just about always wear a glove when shooting off the bench.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I wear a glove when shooting heavy loads. It's mostly prevention, as the trigger guard hits my middle finger only once in a while. It hurts when it does.

I have an easier time shooting .44mags with the Bisley grips. For some reason, the rap on the middle finger is not so much of a problem with them for me.

jdr308

Single-Sixer
I had problems with my sbh 44 till I bought a set of badger grips, now it's fun to shoot again.

My original Vaquero rapped my knuckle till I figured out how to hold it. My SBH with the round trigger guard has never been a problem. As others have said, the differences in human anatomy, experience, plus the differences in guns, makes for interesting times. :)
gramps

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
So what's this big secret on how to hold a bigbore using full power loads, so it doesn't hit your knuckle?
Some kind of death grip?

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
SweetWilliam said:
So what's this big secret on how to hold a bigbore using full power loads, so it doesn't hit your knuckle?
Some kind of death grip?

Coordination of three components.
1) Revolver
a) make, model
b) grip----stocks
c) sights

2) Ammunition
a) cartridge
b) load

3) Shooter
a) position
b) grip pressure
c) sight picture
d) squeeze & follow through

Since you ask about grip pressure, THE LESS THE BETTER. To put it country simple, use no more pressure than necessary to place your shots. Enjoy your "death grip" while it lasts, which may be from three to five shots, perhaps nine or ten. The .44 Magnum properly stocked for the individual may be shot FREE RECOIL----relaxed grip----for half-hour, an hour or more, with surprising accuracy. A death grip quickly kills consistency. Know & believe champions are measured in CONSISTENCY.

Cannons sporting rocks & dynamite loads demand firm grip pressure. Two muscles generate grip pressure----the MIND and the HAND. The two must be toned and only mindful practice can do that.
David Bradshaw