Ruger Old Army

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've been offered a Ruger Old Army. It doesn't have the box. I'd call it 90%+/- it's the fixed sight 5-1/2" I was wondering about the value. I know they aren't making them any more but my impression is people tend to want adjustable sights and stainless which this is neither. Anybody have a ball park idea on the value?
Thanks

Terry T

Buckeye
Blued is less common.
Actually this a most sought after model - cowboy action shooters are looking for them. Seen them go as high as $1,200 but not often.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=538759939

Sitting at $950 with 4 days to go and not yet to 'reserve'.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=538525340
With the conversion cylinder but not the original cylinder?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=539101192

These are all stainless which just goes to show that the blued are less common.
Terry T

daveg.inkc

Hunter
These are going high. I recently bought a 1973 model 450.00. These are sweet shooting pistols. Ruger could still sell them, but after Bill passed, BP was dropped. The 77/50 rifles are accurate. I bought 2 Weaver 301 mounts. I'm going to scope one of my OA's. I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas morning. This 1973 issue has no marks or wear. I can hardly wait to put on paper ! The other 301 is going on a 1976 Super BH.

Hellraiser

Single-Sixer
Unless there has been a turn-around of availability... my impression is that the fixed-sights, stainless is more in demand. Mainly due to the "Frontiersman" category of SASS.

I have been offered a buncha money for the top two NIB in this pic....

IMG_0341_zpsclygsr9i.jpg

Unfortunately, the one I was thinking about is BLUE. I knew about the stainless fixed sights, also popular in CAS, but I'm struggling to determine the value of blue. I believe Terry T is correct about fewer being made but I don't know the implications of that.

Hellraiser

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack said:
I believe Terry T is correct about fewer being made but I don't know the implications of that.

Hey Bear... friend... it's not that "fewer being made"... it's that the Ruger Old Army's are no longer being made, period. That model is dead.

BisleyKid

Bearcat
From what I have seen in SASS the 7.5" barrels are more desirable. I saw at the gun show recently an old army that was made from a blackhawk. In fact I saw a pair of old army 5.5" in 45 cal for sale for $1100.

Hellraiser

Single-Sixer
BisleyKid said:
From what I have seen in SASS the 7.5" barrels are more desirable. I saw at the gun show recently an old army that was made from a blackhawk. In fact I saw a pair of old army 5.5" in 45 cal for sale for $1100.

Well... that would be wonderful. Nothin' like that has shown up on Gunbroker... for about two years.

If anybody finds a pair of fixed sight, SS 5.5 SS ROA's... NIB... for $1,100... I will offer a $100 premium for the person to point them out for me to purchase. I will PAY IT to anybody... after I purchase them.

Had to edit... I really like fixed sight handguns... but got nothin' agin adjustables. Just not my style.