.38 recoil in .357 LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Does the 4oz difference make a significant difference in recoil shooting 158 gr .38 standard velocity? I had the .38 LCR and the recoil was terrible but I wouldn't want to shoot a box of ammo just for fun.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I shoot fairly warm .38's through my S&W 637 all the time, it is actually a bit lighter than any of the LCR's. The revolver squirms a fair amount when shooting but is not unpleasant by any means. Yes, 4 oz. can make quite a difference in a gun this size, however you may want to practice your grip more.

If you want a heavier 5 shot revolver that soaks up recoil I would just save your pennies for an SP-101. They check in at around 26 ounces, more than some six shot revolvers. Another possible choice is-don't laugh- the steel frame Taurus 85. It weighs around 21 ounces and has some very good grips from the factory. My local shop sells as many 85's as they can get ahold of and reports very few problems with them.

I have a .38 LCR and an SP101, a full load 158 gr .357 in the SP101 feels a lot like the .38 feels in the LCR. 38's don't feel like much in the SP101, I never noticed a big difference between a 38 and a 38+P as far as recoil goes but I'm not the least bit recoil sensitive. What grip is on your LCR, I bought a bantam grip for mine and, although it helps with concealment, it's way to small for me plus you really feel the recoil with that and the Crimson Trace Laser Grip more than the Hogue Tamer. If I have the opportunity I also want to shoot the .357 LCR to see what, if any, the weight difference does for felt recoil.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Yes, the grip makes a big difference in these guns. I put a Pachmayr Compac Pro on my 637. It is not much bigger than the factory boot grip but the aggressive checkering really helps my grip. Until there are more grip choices for LCR I'll pass on this otherwise very nice gun.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I shoot 158 gr. SWC .38 spl. in my LCRx and after 10 of them they are quite unpleasant, but in my LCR357 i can go threw 30 or 40 of them with no problem.

cjs1945 said:
I shoot 158 gr. SWC .38 spl. in my LCRx and after 10 of them they are quite unpleasant, but in my LCR357 i can go threw 30 or 40 of them with no problem.
This is what I anticipated. Thanks all for the comments.

Mus408

Hunter
My wife,who is not really a frequent shooter seems to have no recoil issues with .38 Specials in her .357 LCR. Now the couple of .357's I slipped in DID get her attention!
I keep .357 in it for carry and I can go thru a fast 5 shot string without much issue.
It's all in your mind! It is a great little gun with a fantastic grip.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
CJS, what sort of ammo are you shooting? I feed my 637 3.4 grains Bullseye under a 150 grain SWC, which is at the top of the standard pressure range. It's not a .22, but not unpleasant to shoot either. Maybe the weight distribution of the LCR makes the muzzle jump worse?

jruppert2

Bearcat
I have a LCR in .38 only with a bantam boot grip. I shoot a wide variety of ammo through it from 158's to 115's both .38 and .38 +P. The first time I took it to the range I shot 50 or more times with it using the same variety of ammo. The tendon (I'm guessing) in the webbing between my index finger and thumb swelled to where I could not grip a handgun for more than a week. I don't have meaty hands. So that probably makes a difference. Now I keep my shooting sessions to 20 shots or less with this revolver.

Also the recoil difference amongst this different ammo was small. I can not say one type of ammo was significantly more unpleasant to shoot than another.

Terry T

Buckeye
I put the LCRx grip on my 3 LCRs (.357 mag, 9mm, and .327mag). A little less concealable but MUCH easier to shoot well with. :shock:

http://shopruger.com/Hogue-LCRx-and-LCR-3-Tamer-Grip/productinfo/19947/

Terry T

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
If you want to shoot the LCR for fun or just practice try to find some 148 gr. Wad cutter ammo. Most factory WC ammo is loaded down and they don't have much recoil. To answer your question, the LCR 357 does handle recoil better.

hdxr750

Single-Sixer
I own and shoot a S&W model 38 (yes I said 38) most don't know what it is. Well it's an alloy framed 5 shot steel cly. with an 1 7/8" barrel. Shoot it single or double action. Recoil is easy to manage. I don't shoot +P much, even so, with the Pachmayers it's still fun. I have S&W 36, 642, also Colt Agent Cobra, and a Detective Spl. my Model 38 is my first pick almost every day I leave the house. I forget just how little it weighs, I think it's 12 to 14 ozs. It's lite and easy to CC. You get a chance to buy one, go for it you won't be let down.