Super Blackhawk as primary HD

Help Support Ruger Forum:

M4eagle

Bearcat
I have a lot of firearms now n over the years, but I have continued to use my Super
Blackhawk as my primary bedside home defense gun. The confidence in the 44 mag or 44 spl round, the deliberate action required to put the SA into readiness, n the overall unchallenged reliability of the Ruger Black hawk line just keeps it as my home defense go to gun... Even though I have some of the great handguns over the years in Sigs n Glocks, Smiths n Berettas....
Anyone else feel the same about the SBH for home defense

stevemb

Hunter
I bought a Single-Six on my 21st b-day. A couple yrs later a 44SBH. It filled several roles including HD for yrs.. The now gone Speer 225gr HP was my bullet choice then, for that use. The muzzle blast and concussion when fired indoors and in the dark is AWSOME with mag loads. Now, guess I'd look at a 44spec load using the Hornady 200gr XTP or similar.

prairieviper

Single-Sixer
I really like my Super Blackhawk but it is not my first choice for home defense for a lot of reasons. The main reason is that the muzzle blast and flash from a .44 magnum round inside a house would be blinding and deafening. My own personal choice for home defense is my SIG P226 in .40 S&W caliber. That said, to each his or her own.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
While there is a lot of concussion from a 44mag the 9mm, 40S&W and 357mag seem to have a more ear piercing ring to them. I say this from standing next to many shooters at an indoor range. I imagine a shot from a 44mag would get rid of any intruder to your house or outside in short order. :D

coach

Hunter
I certainly agree that letting a .44 mag loose inside would be painful and likely damage your hearing permanently.
A .44 special round would get the job done with a lot less blast.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I keep a .45ACP 1911 (or two) as bedside home defense for immediate, urgent use, but usually have my suppressed .44 "magnum" handy for a less than immediate threat and less danger to my wife and myself from the concussion of a full .44 mag round.

tinman

Buckeye
That reminds of the poster showing a Taurus Raging Judge, with the caption:
"for when the burglar is hiding behind the refrigerator..........at your neighbors house".

:roll:

pisgah

Buckeye
coach said:
I certainly agree that letting a .44 mag loose inside would be painful and likely damage your hearing permanently.
A .44 special round would get the job done with a lot less blast.

Well, trust me, a .22 LR fired inside a room from a handgun can do permanent hearing damage, too. But in the gravest extreme I will take hearing loss over death any day.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Not a Super Blackhawk, this is my bedside companion:

Or this, if in easier reach:

Then this one is sometimes at hand:

But if I'm dressed, this is usually closest to hand:

Bob Wright

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Now I'm confused. Should I start with a .22lr Sig and work my way up thru .22mags (revolver and rifle) , SR9, S&W Mod 60, Ruger .41 mag, and finally 12gage Mossy? Or should I reverse the order? :wink: :mrgreen:

Oh, and then there's the blades. :?:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
mikewriter said:
but usually have my suppressed .44 "magnum" handy for a less than immediate threat and less danger to my wife and myself from the concussion of a full .44 mag round.
How do you "suppress" a revolver? The blast from the barrel-cylinder gap is pretty loud and the supressor does nothing for it.

One of the major technical errors movie and TV shows make is showing the bad guy shooting someone with a suppressed revolver and it almost completely quiet. That's nonsense.

LAH

Buckeye
At one time I used a SBH for everything except squirrel. The single six took that roll.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
While I own more than a few SA's in big bore, I'd never feel out of line using any of mine,,, including a 44 SBH for HD.