Super Blackhawk as primary HD

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dougader

Hunter
SAJohn said:
O.K., I was practicing dry firing my revolver. Then I reloaded it and was about to put it in the nightstand when my wife asked me a question about something. After talking to her for a minute, I went back to my dry fire practice. I took aim at the bad guy in the mirror (a big expensive one) and pulled the trigger. :oops:

The next minute was spent frantically tracking the bullet path through the house. In the next room the bullet just missed a TV then passed through that room wall then across the living room and finally stopped by the couch. If it hadn't been for the wall stud and couch the bullet would have made it through the sliding glass door ($$) then across the back yard and maybe through the fence into the neighbors house.

Several lessons to be learned:

After dry firing a firearm and reloading it, immediately put it back in its' normal storage place.

Use light loads in powerful home defense weapons.

You neighbors will hear one gunshot but will not call 911 unless more are fired (probably thinking it was a car backfire).

Shooting a .44 magnum inside your house will make your wife very mad at you. She will occasionally remind you of your mistake for many many years to come.

That sounds very similar to my one AD/ND. I had been shooting a 6" 357 mag all day. I mean all day. Then I cleaned the gun and was dry firing it, even continued into my older brother's room where he was watching a rerun of Star Wars. I decided I was going to bed, so loaded the gun and then a commercial came on and he started talking to me.

We chatted for a bit and when the show came back on, I blasted Luke right between the eyes. It was a downloaded 357, about like a 38 +P as I recall, but a Keith style 168 grain SWC that went right through the tv and into a cardboard box of tools. I'm glad those tools were there. On the other side of that wall was my Dad's chest freezer. Whew! DO NOT get distracted when loading and unloading weapons.

The sound of a gun going off can be ear-splitting. I suffered no apparent hearing damage from that event, but my brother was sitting next to me when the round went off and he says his left ear is still ringing some 28 years later.

That's one of the reasons why I choose the shotgun first for HD. Hits like a brick, and is not as loud with a longer barrel and lower pressure round.

MG-70

Single-Sixer
SAJohn said:
O.K., I was practicing dry firing my revolver. Then I reloaded it and was about to put it in the nightstand when my wife asked me a question about something. After talking to her for a minute, I went back to my dry fire practice. I took aim at the bad guy in the mirror (a big expensive one) and pulled the trigger. :oops:

The next minute was spent frantically tracking the bullet path through the house. In the next room the bullet just missed a TV then passed through that room wall then across the living room and finally stopped by the couch. If it hadn't been for the wall stud and couch the bullet would have made it through the sliding glass door ($$) then across the back yard and maybe through the fence into the neighbors house.

After dry firing a firearm and reloading it, immediately put it back in its' normal storage place.

You neighbors will hear one gunshot but will not call 911 unless more are fired (probably thinking it was a car backfire).

Shooting a .44 magnum inside your house will make your wife very mad at you. She will occasionally remind you of your mistake for many many years to come.

Moral of the story, ignore the wife when you're around your guns!

Kidding...and glad no one got hurt.

coach

Hunter
SAJohn said:
Don't you know it. :roll:
BTW- I'm not surprised it stopped in the couch. From what I've seen in the movies they seem pretty much bulletproof. :D

falrifles

Bearcat
I am an LEO, so my choice is more narrow as far as what I can use. Its either my Beretta department issue 92D 9mm or my Glock 19 or Glock 26. (approved for off duty use) I own a multitude of other guns but they reside in my safe. Of course in my safe is a fully loaded Scattergun Tech 870 and a RRA Ar15. So I have it covered.

A single action revolver is a romantic choice. I love them and own Vaqueros and Blackhawks. But they won't be very good defense against a perp with a stolen Glock. Glocks are very popular street thug guns.

contender

Ruger Guru
While this is an older thread,,, many of us understand where you are coming from falrifles.
Yes,,, it's common knowledge that street thugs prefer high capacity guns. We can thank hollywierd & such for that.
But, for a person who actually uses a gun a lot, and carries a SA, he can be every bit as effective, if not moreso than the average street punk. Well placed shots vs the spray & pray mentality will rule the day. And a LOT of people have been enjoying the use of SA's for SASS & CAS shooting games for quite a while now.
It still comes down to skill levels.

On a side note,,, you be careful out there. Your area is a bit of a hotbed right now. (My son is also LEO.)

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
Here in Canada we are not allowed to even have a loaded gun of anykind to defend ourselves from deadly harm! I keep a lit photo of my ugly Ex mother-in-law over my bed to protect me while sleeping. :lol:
One look at that & they will take off.... :twisted:

If we could keep a gun for protection though, I would use a ruger flattop with .38 spl ammo, topped with soft cast 158 gr hollow points....

whichwatch

Blackhawk
t-reg said:
"You neighbors will hear one gunshot but will not call 911 unless more are fired (probably thinking it was a car backfire)."

Properly groomed neighbors will not call the police over gunshots whether it be one or one thousand!

What does the neighbor's hairstyle have to do with them calling the police or not?? :D

SAJohn said:

I can imagine the surprise when that went off. I seem to remember that happening to a "friend" of mine as well. As I recall, he got interrupted with a long phone call right after reloading it and getting ready to put it up.

SAJohn

Hunter
Coach, Backfires can still happen. My riding lawn mower will backfire almost every time it is turned off. I brace myself for it but it still hurts me. The manual says it will not backfire if turned off at half throttle. The manual is wrong. The only thing that works, maybe 50% of the time, is to throttle it back to minimum idle and then wait 30 seconds.

My first car, as a kid, was an $85 1929 Model A Ford. If you retarded the spark timing, advanced the throttle level, turned the ignition off, waited about 5 seconds and then turned the ignition back on, it would backfire load enough to wake the dead.

My folks once had a brand new 1959 Renault Dauphine. That miserable thing would backfire through the carburetor and start an engine fire. We kept a wool blanket handy to quickly smother the fire.

Mechanical fuel injectors can backfire just by letting off the throttle at high RPM and then braking. I once blow a hole in an expensive muffler in my 1972 Porsche that way.

I cannot recall ever having a backfire in a modern computer controlled injected engine.

Having rebuilt many, I do not miss carburetors.

bogus bill

Hunter
Most any handgun and caliber will do the job. Just have the mindset, and familiarity with the gun. Sure, some are better in different situations. Were I to have a .44 mag for HD I would load it with .44 special though. Some might recommend a faster reload type gun but whats the real odds of needing more than 5ive or 6 rounds? Next to none.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
I've got a Beretta 9mm, but the guns that usually pull nightstand duty are either my S&W 638 Airweight or my Ruger 50th Anniversary Flattop Blackhawk in .357.

Either one will do the job, and I keep both loaded with 158-grain lead semiwadcutter HP .38s (Remington's +P version in the Blackhawk; Buffalo Bore standard-velocity in the Airweight).

I also keep one of my .44 SPL Flattops loaded as well, with the 200-grain Gold Dots.