GP100 Hammer Checkering Tool recommendation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gp_guy

Bearcat
What should I use to smooth the checkering on the GP100 hammer checkering?

I just bought a brand new one, and on my second, longer range trip, my thumb looked like it was cut by a boxcutter. Several cuts, blood everywhere. I had kept going because I thought the red stuff coming down at first might have been from my over-lubricating. I then remembered I didn't use any red oil.
It has very sharp uneven checkering, particularly on one edge.

I've not done anything to it yet. My gunsmithing experience so far is limited to having replaced the front sight. Let me know if there are specific file or sandpaper recommendations since my filing experience is mainly limited to fingernails.

Thanks for any help.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
You can reduce the sharpness by simply using a file. A few strokes can knock off the sharp points. Use a magnifier to look closely at the checkering, and just "flatten" the points a little & then try that. If you want a completely smooth hammer, then you can keep going until you get the desired results.
Dremels can quickly overcut a metal piece to where you are not happy with the results. The checkering is there to assist in cocking when it can be hard to pull, slippery etc.
I'd just flatten the sharp points a bit.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Welcome to the forum. The edges on the hammer spur and around the trigger guard can be very sharp on the stainless guns. You can use some small jewelers files or a stone around the edges as well as some 400 grit black oxide sandpaper to break the edges. A flat file over the top of the hammer spur will cut the points down a little. A 'Scotch Bright' pad can restore the brushed finish on the gun if you get any marks or scratches on it. :D

DPris

Buckeye
I've done that on my last three GPs, out of necessity. :)

Nothing fancy required, I just use a fine file to round off the edges slightly.
Very easy.
Denis

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I use a fine cut file also (chainsaw flat raker file). Those hammers can have some real sharp edges,that is for sure. I wrap wet or dry sandpaper (400 grit) around the file and smooth the rough edges.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I used a small flat jeweler's file to just break the points and smooth the edges of the hammer's checkering. It made it a lot more comfortable to thumb cock without making it slippery. Use light pressure and work slowly as it doesn't take much.

stone or a small 'fine cut'swiss file as noted above, and as for the dremel tool we use a round Cratex (fiber) tool ( looks like a tootsie roll) and that works wonders on edges, ONLY if you are proficient with small, hand held power tools...... 8)

eveled

Hawkeye
I used a file on mine. You could grate coconuts with it before.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Sounds like you got a lot of good advice on taking care of the problem. Several have done this already. good Luck.