My New Redhawk & Henry BB Steel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I had traded for a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Magnum. I shot it a couple of day's and for my small hands I believe that I will be staying with my 3 Redhawk's and my 2 GP100's . I took the Blackhawk to the LGS yesterday (11-27-2015) and traded it in on a Redhawk in 45acp /45 Colt 4.2" (which fits my hands perfect) and a Henry Rifle in 45 Colt ( Big Boy Steel ). I asked the LGS if he could get the Henry in just a Big Boy and he said he could. I was going to order one when he brought out a .357 Big Boy for comparison. There were things that the steel version had that I really liked over the Big Boy Brass. I liked the swivel studs already mounted (No barrel band) I also thought that me being a reloader that the steel receiver would be stronger. I put them side by side and the profile was exactly the same. So I bought the Steel Big Boy. Very Happy with it.
Took it out to the range and shot dead on at 25 yards without sight adjustment. Now I have to re-sight it in because I found a Skinner Peep sight that I had put away that did not fit any of my rifles at the time. Went right on this Big Boy Steel. I have the plug coming for the rear sight dove tail but currently it is lowered to keep it out of the way. I hope the front sight and Skinner peep are lined up OK. I have the rear peep all the way down and I do believe that is where it needs to be, I will see Sunday 11-29 if the rain lets up. Anyway here are the pictures of the duo.
The Redhawk took just a couple of adjustments and it was right on Great Shooter. Very enjoyable.
By the way I have never had a bad put together Henry. I have not had one for a while, but this one is staying, I have already ordered the loading dies for it.

mjh

Single-Sixer
Nice RedHawk! Good to hear the Henry is a good shooter, Where did you order the plug from for the rear sight? Thinking about putting a skinner sight on a henry.

Mus408

Hunter
Love that Redhawk and in .45 Colt you can load them hot!
I have looked at the Henry lever guns and they are well built with great customer service,but I have a hard time getting past loading the rounds at the muzzle end. Guess I'm old school.
Great rifle though!

rangerbob

Buckeye
mjh, MidwayUSA has the rear sight dovetail blanks; #383424 for a Marbles brand and #967407 for the Lyman version. They simply fill in the dovetail slot once the rear sight is removed. I've used both with equally good results. Bob!! :mrgreen:

keyston44

Bearcat
mjh said:
Nice RedHawk! Good to hear the Henry is a good shooter, Where did you order the plug from for the rear sight? Thinking about putting a skinner sight on a henry.

Order the plug from Skinner when you order your sight.

Key

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Guy's all those sights are great to order the plugs from. I got the Lyman plug off of ebay for a little less. I now have a Lyman Globe front sight on it with the Skinner rear. Looks great can't wait to get the rain to stop so I can get it sighted in.

gunman5646

Bearcat
I just bought a Big boy steel in .357 last month. It's smooth as glass and very accurate with both 357's and 38+p's. I am contemplating another in .44 to replace my old marlin 1894. From what I have been told, the Henrys handle 44 specials much better than the Marlins .

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
gunman,
One thing I found out about the Henry's vs. Marlin in .357 is that I had some 115 grain 38's that I loaded up and the Henry would not cycle them. They have to have 125 gn. minimum to cycle. The Marlin would cycle them no problem. I do not know about 44 spl. in a Henry if they have to be a certain gn. or not. I liked my Henry Big Boy Brass but got rid of them because I already had them in Marlins. I Love this steel BB though and do not have a Marlin in the 45 Colt like the Henry.