Belt Mountain Base Pin For SBH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Is the base pin relatively easy to remove and replace with a Belt Mountain pin? I ordered on months ago and it's been in the safe, may as well install it this weekend. Just a matter of removing the ejector rod housing to remove the existing pin?

G2

Hunter
I re- install the pin without the cylinder just to make sure everything is going to work & align.
Then I remove & lube the pin and slide the cylinder on, rotate, make sure everything is good there.
Then go for it, :wink: putting the entire assembly together, make sure it all works....
before re-installing the ERA.

My reason for all the extra steps,,, its a whole lot easier to see where a "hang up" might be when your dealing with separate contact points -vs- the entire assembly.

Nice product that definitely takes slop out.

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
Mine is impossible to slide into the frame. Pulling it out so the cylinder can be dropped in puts the pin just into the frame. There it sticks. Lubed or not. YMMV.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have a Vaquero .44 mag.SS that has what I believe is a verrrrry slightly twisted
(Bent) frame. The factory base pin will slide through the frame and fully seat without resistance but when I install a tight fitting Belt Mt. Pin the pin does not align with the rear hole exactly. It will enter the rear hold IF a little side pressure is put on the rear end of the pin but the pin will not fully seat without much effort and then is almost impossible to remove.
The above just goes to show that every gun is an individual and to expect a precision replacement part to fit all guns without some hand fitting is foolish.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have at least a dozen BM base pins and only one required very slightly enlarging the hole in the frame for it to fit. On a OMBH in 30 Carbine.

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
I think the frame is the proper modification for me. Just a light polish, perhaps. 0.0002, maybe, to get the pin to flow properly. I'm thinking a very light polish with 0000 steel wool?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Even when the part is that close a fit I work on the cheapest part.
.0005" is an awful small amount to worry about adding to the finished cylinder/pin fit.
I find it better to chuck the pin up in the lathe or a drill and using 400+ grit wet or dry paper to polish it down that amount. Remember there must be enough play to hold lube or it will seize up at the time you need it to work the most.
I can see precision fit tolerances in a 500 yd. varmint gun but not for a field cary or even a target revolver. But if it makes you happy,go for it.