41 Magnum ~or~ Rugerforum is the best!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

See you are a bunch of enablers. Sixshot out in Idaho always talking about his 41 Maggie or the other thread here about the new Redhawk in 41 magnum... My other thread about the Redhawk vs Blackhawk differences helped as well. I found a Blackhawk in 41 mag, it should be here next week, so pictures to come. I just ordered a set of Hornaday dies as well...from Amazon of all places. I'll just get a few boxes of factory ammo for the brass. That will give me a good starting point too as far as what to aim for in reloading, like velocity, recoil and accuracy. I do see the 41 uses a lot of the same powders as 357. I suppose the primers are the same? CCI 550 Mag pistol primers? I've had good luck with them in reloading for 357. Any favorite bullet weights?

But again, ya know, before this forum, I probably would have just read about the 41 magnum...you guys made it enticing...thanks! Why the 41 and not a 44? That's just me. the only shotgun I have is a 16 guage. I'd just rather get something not as common.

hittman

Staff member

What? People lust after the step-child 41 Magnum? Whoda thunk that? :lol:

I know, from just quickly reading about the cartridge it was designed in the 60's by Elmer Keith and others. Somehow it never caught on and is now grouped in with 16 gauge shotguns and 280 rifles. (versus the 12gauge and the 270 rifle)

It does make you wonder why some calibers become really popular and others not...maybe it has something to do with being an odd number. I know some people don't like odd things (and other people are just odd, ha, ha, ha.)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Welcome to the Dark Side :twisted: . I'd suggest that besides the normal loads for hunting, etc. that you work up some cowboy loads. The BH in .41 with cowboy loads is like shooting a .38 - great fun to thumb fan 6 rounds in about 3 sec. Impresses the hell out of onlookers. :twisted:

I don't reload, but there are several here who do. You might also try out the Underwood ammo for it. Good stuff using new Starline brass. https://www.underwoodammo.com/41-remington-magnum/

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
Congratulations Kevin! I'm sure you'll love your .41 Magnum. I sure enough love mine. Yep, Sixgun has a lot of praise for the .41 Mag, and IMO he knows what he's talking about. He has a lot of experience to back up what he says.
No - unlike the .357 Magnum, which uses "small" pistol primers, the .41 Magnum uses "large" pistol primers. No big deal - you'll just have to have two different sizes of pistol primers now.
I like Cast Performance 250 gr. WFNGC bullets for all around use in my .41 Mags. But that's because I lean towards heavier bullets in revolvers. You might find .41 Mag bullets in the 200 to 225 grain weights more to your liking. I personally wouldn't go any lighter than 200 grains.

hittman

Staff member
Georgia Arms used to be a good source for more reasonably priced 41 Magnum. Haven't bought from them in recent years since a local buddy reloads for me but .... a few years ago Georgia Arms worked good for me.

rcramden

Bearcat
Cabelas,or at least the one new me has had a steady supply of Starline .41 new brass. They've also had Berry's and Hornady FTX bullets as well.

contender

Ruger Guru
Dern,,, you shoulda asked here before you spent money on Amazon. I have a spare set of 41 mag dies I need to sell!

You will enjoy that gun,,, I speak from many years of experience.

The 41 was a compromise between the 357 & the 44 mag initially for LEO's. Unfortunately,,, many LEO's are not "shooters" & as such,, they felt the 41 mag was still too big.

32magfan

Blackhawk
Kevin,

I also like the 41. I have a few of them, all Rugers. I snagged one of the RedHawks from Davidson's recently. I bought a BlackHawk six years ago and a Bisley Super BlackHawk Hunter two years ago. I like the 41 but own 357, 44 & 45's also. Of course, 32 caliber guns are my favorites..

Enjoy the new caliber and yes... We are enablers!! :mrgreen:

32Magfan

Sorry Ty, I actually ordered the dies before committing to the gun. I figured it would make me finally get a 41. But yeah, I either heard or read the 41 should have been what the police departments needed or wanted, but instead the 38's and 357's caught on instead.

I am actually more excited about getting this gun than any previous guns, at least recently.

Hope y'all had a good Thanksgiving and spent lots of money to support the economy on Black Friday!

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
I only have two .41's as well as a Contender barrel but they are wonderful guns and all I need for a "horsepower" round. A Blackhawk and a Redhawk cover the needs for me.

Chuckbuster II

Single-Sixer
Most of my family

Don't have any pics of the "Sweet Sixteen" A-5's or 16ga "Elsie"..

If you want to try some cast drop me a PM I have a few different choices you could sample. Trail Boss, Unique/Universal and H110 will all serve you well depending on what level load you want.

.41's and 16ga
Maybe its in our name
Kevin/chuckbuster

veeman

Single-Sixer
I have just the one, with a couple mods. My Super 41.
Spalted%20Maple%20Super%2041%20001%201-19-15_zpssexu8nzl.jpg

Y'all are'bout to git me in trouble. I'm beginning to feel the desire for a 41....

cruzer lou has a real nice 41. please post pics lou!

edit to add. I'm still working on my multi-gun 45 colt project, (dare i use the term long colt or get crucified)

Chuckbuster II said:
Most of my family

Don't have any pics of the "Sweet Sixteen" A-5's or 16ga "Elsie"..

If you want to try some cast drop me a PM I have a few different choices you could sample. Trail Boss, Unique/Universal and H110 will all serve you well depending on what level load you want.

.41's and 16ga
Maybe its in our name
Kevin/chuckbuster

is that a blued bisley hunter? :O

ko41

Bearcat
Congrats on joining in the .41 Magnum fun.
I usually stick with three tried and proven powders for most of my .41 Magnum loads.
8.0gr Unique with Lyman 410459 220gr SWC ~1000fps
18.0gr 2400 with Lyman 410459 220gr SWC ~1400fps
21.0gr H110 with 210gr Jacketed ~1325fps
Standard large pistol primers with Unique and 2400, Magnum or Winchester large pistol primers with H110.
Most commercial bullet casters have some version of 210gr-215gr SWC and 210gr jacketed bullets are available from the major bullet manufacturers.
Some current and discontinued molds and jacketed bullets I've accumulated over the years

And some Rugers.

KO