41 Magnum ~or~ Rugerforum is the best!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ko41, big thanks for those pictures and the information. That is greatly appreciated.

DA_Trigg4Ruger, I saw your comment about being crucified for saying long colt. I didn't get the reference right away....but I just went back and read the complete thread about 45 colt. Interesting....not sure what else to say. I guess 41 magnum is just that....too bad it was 41 magnum long cartridge (41 MLC) or some other obscure name to be debated.... I'm joking of course.

The gun I bought is a Bisley with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. Not the hunter but it is blue. I'll post some pics when I get it....

rangerbob

Buckeye
Kevin, I too have a Bisley 7.5" in .41 Magnum, along with a Flat top Blackhawk, and more S&W's than I can count, and I've sold several as well. FYI, the Bisley is very scarce, I almost said Rare. I've been shooting .41's since the mid 60's and I've had at least one of every S&W model made over the years. I thinned the herd recently and now I'm down to the following Smiths: 4" nickel M57, 4" M657, 4' M657 Mountain Gun, 6" blue M57, 8 3/8 Blue and nickel M57, not to mention a Marlin 94 and a T/C barrel, and I see that Henry just announced they lever rifle in 41 Magnum. If you already load 357's , the same powders will work in the 41. Recently, I've loaded 300MP for full power loads, but 296/H110 works as well. The 8 grains of Unique with a cast bullet is great as well. I've even loaded the cast bullets with Trail Boss. As far as brass goes, call Barbara at starline and order 500 or a 1000 of their excellent cases, best price and free shipping. The Lyman 410459 bullet is excellent if you can find a mold or someone that's casting them. You won't be disappointed. Bob!!!!! :D

Rangerbob: yeah I do load for 357/38 and 327 primarily just the three. I've found H110 to be the most accurate but can't find it again. I bought some CFE and Hodgdon does have some 41 loads... I might go to the store this week and look for some bullets. I don't cast, yet anyway... I've bought some cast bullets from sns casting there in Illinois, they seem to be good quality and have decent prices....

Awesome, I am excited about this gun, more than others in recent times...

sixshot

Buckeye
Bought a 4" model 57 S&W in 1966 in Sherman, Texas for $100 (used) and then it really got used! Bought a Lyman mould #41028 & a #41032, one of them was a HP. Shot thousands of rounds through that old gun, taking turtles, frogs, armidillos, possums, raccoons, snakes, ground squirrels, rock chucks, foxes, coyotes, antelope, deer, elk, badgers, crows, magpies & turkeys. My most used bullet for 50 years has been the Keith 230 gr. cast slug over 17 grs. of 2400 & its accounted for hundreds of different critters. Recently I've shot a lot of Verl Smith's excellent 250 gr. LBT slug over the same 17 grs of 2400. I've taken both deer & elk with that bullet & its been terrific. Its only a tiny step behind the great 44 magnum with 250 gr. bullets in killing powder. My current favorite 6 gun is a stainless Bisley 5 1/2" gun thats been slicked up by my gunsmith son, fitted with one of our taller & narrower front sights & shooting only powder coated bullets, its a handgun hunters dream in a Barranti crossdraw or shoulder rig.

Dick

Kevin said:
Ko41, big thanks for those pictures and the information. That is greatly appreciated.

DA_Trigg4Ruger, I saw your comment about being crucified for saying long colt. I didn't get the reference right away....but I just went back and read the complete thread about 45 colt. Interesting....not sure what else to say. I guess 41 magnum is just that....too bad it was 41 magnum long cartridge (41 MLC) or some other obscure name to be debated.... I'm joking of course.

The gun I bought is a Bisley with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. Not the hunter but it is blue. I'll post some pics when I get it....

I'm excited to see it. I can't shoot "ole plowhandles" very well. I much prefer the bisley grip in larger calibers. I don't mind the grip on my single six, but it's only a .22

ko41

Bearcat
I too prefer the Bisley grip. For me they point better and give me better control with heavy recoiling magnum loads.

KO

rangerbob

Buckeye
I believe that Hunter pretty well summed up the .41's usefulness as an all around tool. If one has a good .41 Magnum and reloads, he doesn't need a 357 or a 44, much like the 280 Remington, you don't need a 270 or a 30-06. BTW, I just received the new Nosler #8 manual, not as much on handguns, but loaded with new rifle data for new powders and the 26, 28, and 30 Nosler cartridges. And hopefully, everyone knows that H110 and WW 296 are the same powder, if you are looking for one and fins the other. Bob!! :mrgreen:

Arky

Single-Sixer
Love the 41. Actually Amazon is a good place to buy dies. You do not have to search for hard to find dies. They do business with several suppliers and mfgs. That is where I had to go to get 35 Whelen dies. My Smith and Tarus have to have the .411 bullet but my super blackhawk is very tight in both chamber and barrel (groove slugged at .409). It will shoot .410 cast just fine and .411 as long as they are not too long for the .415 chambers. I like Missouri Bullet .411 bevel base SWC in 215 gr with unique for plinking in the Smith and Tarus. The Ruger has to have a slower powder like AA 9. I mostly use the Ruger with The Rim Rock 235 gr gas check SWC and AA9 in about a mid range load for hunting. A mild load and the Berry's plated works well for plinking too.
All that said, the only deer I have killed with the .41 was with the Tarus and the 215 gr SWC with a mild charge of Unique at 950 fps. I had just put the rifle in the gun bag when the doe walked up. She was just as dead as she would have been if I used the 35 Whelen.

rangerbob

Buckeye
The new Henry rifle I made mention of is their # H012M41. I did not see it on Henry's website either. Sports South has them listed, but, of course, don't have any. I'm sure Henry will display them at the SHOT show in January. I suggest that every one interested should be calling Henry to let them know there are buyers standing by with $$$$$$$$$$$$. They will not be inexpensive, but will surely fill the gap for a .41 rifle( I'm still waiting on a M92 SRC). It should be identical to the Steel 44 carbine, I hope. Bob!! :mrgreen:

rangerbob

Buckeye
Update!!, I see that Lipsey's is listing the .41 Henry Big Boy, as well as Sports South. That's a good indicator that the rifle may appear some time soon. I see that Henry is also making a carbine version in 357, 44, and 45 Colt with a bigger lever and, I believe, a 16" barrel. And they are available!!! Bob!! :D

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
rangerbob said:
Update!!, I see that Lipsey's is listing the .41 Henry Big Boy, as well as Sports South. That's a good indicator that the rifle may appear some time soon. I see that Henry is also making a carbine version in 357, 44, and 45 Colt with a bigger lever and, I believe, a 16" barrel. And they are available!!! Bob!! :D

There's still some Marlin lever guns in .41mag floating around. Don't know how good (or bad) they are. The older ones had the micro-groove, later models switched to Ballard rifling.

rangerbob

Buckeye
rjwinz, that's the result of poor editing on who ever entered the data, very common on dealers and distributor's sites. You know, like the media, if it has a curved magazine and a pistol grip, it's an assault rifle. Bob!! :?

djw54

Single-Sixer
needsmostuff said:
... reference to a Henry .41 on Lipsey's .
Could someone post a link???

Just got around to looking: http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=HNH012M41

ira41magfan

Bearcat
There's still some Marlin lever guns in .41mag floating around. Don't know how good (or bad) they are. The older ones had the micro-groove, later models switched to Ballard rifling.[/quote]

I believe this applies to the 357, 44 and 45 marlins only. I've not seen any 41 mags from marlin with ballard rifling, however the stainless ltd model may be an exception.