Tightening Old Model Blackhawk frame screws

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Twogun

Bearcat
I have two OMB and on one the frame screws can be nicely tightened. That is, tight enough to feel like they won't loosen up while shooting. On the other when I tighten up, I think the one closest to the rear, it puts internal pressure on the hammer so that it won't fall properly. So, I have to back off on the tightening of the screw. Is this right that the screw jams the side plate into the internals so that they won't function?

Coop

Blackhawk
Happened to me a long time ago. AIR, you need to switch the two rear bottom screws (under the hammer) on the grip frame. They are two different lengths.

Caution: My memory is very old.

G2

Hunter
What I think Coop is referring too is a NEW MODEL.

IF your getting pinch on a old model, that would indicate the grip frame itself is pinching when you tighten the screw.

I would start off by capturing the Hammer Spring then loosen all the screws and slowly tighten them back "equally" in torque, jumping from screw to screw.

FYI ,,, Most tend to WAY OVER TIGHTEN/TORQUE grip frame screws.

from time to time we come across screw "sets" that one of the screws on the bottom or even on the top ,rear, one will be shorter than the other, just may be the reason "why"...bet the hole is drilled close enough to the 'inside' that too long will put pressure on and expand "inward" against the hammer....won't be the first screw hole drilled "off center" or on an "angle" 8) :roll:

Twogun

Bearcat
The culprit/offending screw is the one on the side of the gun toward the rear. Not on the grip frame which I kind of get the drift is what you all are talking about. Or do I misunderstand the replies? This is one time I really appreciate S&W, by removing the side plate I can see what is happening. Not so on the this OMR.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
If I remember correctly, the OM hammer pivot screw has a tiny shoulder at the root of the thread that should prevent over tightening and the resulting collapsing of the frame at the rear. I don't feel like disassembling one of mine to check it though,so if I am wrong, please let me know. Over tightening any screw is not good and can/will damage parts. That is what thread locker is made for.

Twogun

Bearcat
I like the idea of there being a shoulder on the screw. Of course that doesn't mean there is one. That would avoid compression of the frame that would pinch the hammer. I have been putting off taking the gun apart for fear of, I don't know what. Only way to figure something like this out is to read as many posts as you can find and in the end, take the darn thing apart. This gun has a rough and terrible trigger pull. In one post somewhere they said to work the action until it smooths out. I am working on that now.

Latest posts