extended grips for Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I see makers offering grips for the XR3-RED that are extended about 1/2 inch below the grip frame but still allow you finger to be above the trigger guard. I am still not real comfortable with the regular grips on my 41 mag. Do the extended grips feel better or offer any help? I have actually got the Old Army grip frame on this gun if anybody has suggestions for grips.

veeman

Single-Sixer
I put a Super Blackhawk grip frame on my 41, with Spalted Maple grips. Feel and fit in my hand is much better. Have not shot it yet tho.
Spalted%20Maple%20Super%2041%20002%2011-19-15_zpsiqw9ahqz.jpg

Twogun

Bearcat
I have a problem with the XR3-RED frame also. Just a bit too small. My little finger is barely perched on the grip. I have purchased oversize grips on e--- that were supposed to fit the frame, but didn't in spite of the sellers stating that they fit his XR3-RED gun. That one confused me. If I get a Super Black hawk frame what are the issues with fitting it to my old model frames (41 and a 45). Also, when I tighten the grip to frame screws I wonder about over tightening, is there a way to determine the correct amount of torque? How tight do they need to be?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome Twogun!
Ok, when using the XR3-RED grip style,,, many of us tuck the little finger under the grip frame. But I can't help you on the grips you purchased.
A Super Blackhawk frame is longer,, and should screw right on. As for torque,, I'm not a gorilla handed person, so I go for snug. And as I'm screwing on a g/f,,, I get them all in place, touching with resistance. Then I start alternating each one as I apply a bit more torque. I also check function as I do so. Any issues,,, I start over,, by backing out the last screw tightened, and move to a different one.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
woodperson said:
I see makers offering grips for the XR3-RED that are extended about 1/2 inch below the grip frame but still allow you finger to be above the trigger guard. I am still not real comfortable with the regular grips on my 41 mag. Do the extended grips feel better or offer any help? I have actually got the Old Army grip frame on this gun if anybody has suggestions for grips.

The extended grips clearly give you more to hang onto. I suggest you handle a Super BH with the dragoon grip frame (7 1/2" barrel model) to know what an extended grip will feel like.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Twogun said:
I have a problem with the XR3-RED frame also. Just a bit too small. My little finger is barely perched on the grip. I have purchased oversize grips on e--- that were supposed to fit the frame, but didn't in spite of the sellers stating that they fit his XR3-RED gun. That one confused me. If I get a Super Black hawk frame what are the issues with fitting it to my old model frames (41 and a 45). Also, when I tighten the grip to frame screws I wonder about over tightening, is there a way to determine the correct amount of torque? How tight do they need to be?

Since you have old models, you need an old model SBH grip frame. Then you'll have no issues, just bolt it on. It will have a wider slot for the SBH wide trigger so you may want that too. But you don't have to have it, your skinny trigger will work.

k22fan

Blackhawk
I like the concept of extended grips for XR3-RED gripframes but can't visualize one that would look or feel like a plow handle. Do they continue to expand the flare at the bottom? It seems that would make them too wide front to back before the length got down to Dragoon length. I switched one XR3-RED gripframe to a Hunter which I like much better but it was expensive. If the same thing could be accomplished by only buying grips it would not only be affordable but would leave an old model Blackhawk's metal original.

Please post a picture of these extended grips.

Rancher Will

Blackhawk
I have mentioned this quite some time back, but will here again.

Nearly 40 some years ago I ordered a set of Herrits Trooper grips for my Ruger .44 Blackhawk. They were made specifically to fit my hand using Herrits Trooper grips design. These grips have been on my Blackhawk since I received them and I have been completely happy with them.

By way of additional, I also have Herrits Trooper grips on my S&W Model 29 that I have carried on and off duty for over 40 years. With these grips both guns shoot almost as if they are part of my own hand. Both guns shoot where I am looking without my using the sights for any shot up to a few yards.

These grips are made by Herrits Grip Company in Idaho to fit my hand. When I ordered them I provided an exact outline drawing of my hand, showing the shape and size for the grips to fit.

k22fan

Blackhawk
I've never had a pair of Herrett's custom made but I like the Shooting Stars I've bought used for S&W and Six Series double actions. I also have a set of Blackhawk Shooting Stars that I have not tried out yet. I bought them because they were only $10 or $15. The basic design of Shooting Stars and Troopers fills in between the trigger guard and front strap. The result is not a plow handle shape. Additionally, at least for double actions Troopers cover the back strap. I've never seen a pair of Troopers for single actions. The double action trooper design extends trigger reach until it is to long for me on any frame larger than a S&W J frame.

I'm taking the thread back to my question: do extended grips for Blackhawks with a traditional plow handle shape exist?

veeman

Single-Sixer
They do, I have seen them on ebay several times, but don't see any listed at this time.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
k22fan said:
I'm taking the thread back to my question: do extended grips for Blackhawks with a traditional plow handle shape exist?

They do exist, but they flare out too far at the butt to continue the grip strap angles. Look funny and get to fat at the butt. I like the SBH Hunter grip frame for a 1/4" extended grip with round trigger guard and traditional plow handle shape:
medium800.jpg

k22fan

Blackhawk
I have a strong preference for Hunter and Dragoon gripframes. The Hunter is my favorite but prefer it over the Dragoon for its appearance. The square back trigger guard never has raped my nuckels nor does it have any other disadvantage for me while firing. Jason at Lipseys could tempt me into buying some other wise ordinary Blackhawks simply by ordering batches with Hunter gripframes. I suspect that to sell them he'd have to announce the larger gripfames conspicuously in ads or many potential customers would not notice what was different about them.

diffy40

Single-Sixer
I'm taking the thread back to my question: do extended grips for Blackhawks with a traditional plow handle shape exist?[/quote]

I have a pair of Herrets on one of my O.M.Blackhawks that extends about 1/2" below the frame. I don't know if they are a stock item but I think they will custom make grips for any gun.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
In your minds eye, just remove all the wood from the Herrets that extends over the edge of the grip frame and you'll know what they'd look like.

The factory Colt extended grips are made with an extended grip frame as well. Here's what they look like:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/922545074/COLT-SAA-3rd-Gen-Blue-with-Extended-Grip-Frame.htm

What do you think of them?

All others occasionally found on ebay and gunbroker will look the same but fit standard sized grip frames.

contender

Ruger Guru
diffy40,,, to answer your question directly. Yes, there are grips out there that are extended ,,, but they are all customs.

k22fan

Blackhawk
Thank-you for the help. If it weren't for the cost I'd replace the XR3REDs on my New Models with Hunters. I made the swap on my .357 and might eventually do others. I am wondering if filing down the front and back straps of both a stainless XR3RED gripframe and a pair of extended plow handle grips to match a Hunter gripframe would look O.K. Have any of you done that?

woodperson

Single-Sixer
"What do you think of them?"

I think they look just like what I want to try. I found a maker who had a set for Ruger listed but he is out of business. I liked his pictures. I am headed out to the shop to rough out a couple of sets and see how I can shape them and how they feel. I shoot the gun with a pair of Herrets now sometimes but they feel too big and look terrible. I will post back when I figure out how to post pictures. I have good pictures of what this other maker did and think I might like it.