Does Ruger deburr anymore

Help Support Ruger Forum:

martyj

Blackhawk
I just got 2 new Blackhawk's and went to oil them and cloth kept getting caught on hammer steps and on the inside of the frame where the cylinder fits in the corner are fuzzy now from my oil cloth. Even the cylinder pin slides in and out like a nail in a tin can.
What ever happen to smooth and slick like the old ones?
I have to admit if I was going to use these for personal use I would take them apart and deburr the whole gun.
I thought I wanted a GP100 and now Im not so sure anymore.

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
I do know that they will deburr/smooth up some the action parts if they deem it necessary. A handful of months ago I sent in a GP100 because the back of the cylinder had a burr on 1 chamber and it was a little out of round. While there I know they did a little action work because the trigger was definitely a touch lighter, but noticeably smoother. For your purposes I don't know if they would do that if that's the only issue. It never hurts to give them a call, especially if they are brand new with you being the original owner.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I hate those sharp ragged edges. On every new gun I go over all the edges with 1000 grit paper wrapped around a rubber eraser, On small internal parts or the ratchets of the cyl a small wire wheel in a Dremel tool deburs well.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I'm beginning to wonder about this, whether I got an exceptionally nice Blackhawk, or if y'all just got the lemon.

I bought a Flat Top Blackhawk .44 Special back in May of thish year, and am impressed with the finish and fit of my gun. The blue seems much deeper than I've become accustomed to on Rugers, and polish and fit seem excellent. Grip frame to cylinder frame was apparently match polished. And the slot in the ejector rod housing is as smooth as can be, with no sharp edge of burrs.

True, did have to swap out the stainblubss steel inner parts for carbon steel, but other than that, I've no complaints.

Bob Wright

I do believe that their QC has left a little to be desired lately. When I received my SBCA-4 Bearcat I noticed it seemed to be 'notchy' when cocking the hammer. Upon closer examination I noticed that the pawl plunger retaining socket head screw was just barely inserted. I tightened it and the problem of cocking went away. No big deal to tighten a screw, but is should have been noticed prior to shipment. On the same gun there was no bluing on the underside edge of the ejector housing where it contacts the barrel. I too fixed that, but again it should have been noticed.

RGRacing

Bearcat
My recent GP100 had burrs on the Hammer as well - Snagged on any fabric and felt like sharp little slivers. I took some 600 and just kinda winged it - no problems any more. Odd that no one saw it as a issue on the way out.

I may never have noticed it either if I shot it with gloves on but I tend to fondle a new gun at night watching TV. I may have licked it once too.

Love this GP -

RGRacing said:
My recent GP100 had burrs on the Hammer as well - Snagged on any fabric and felt like sharp little slivers. I took some 600 and just kinda winged it - no problems any more. Odd that no one saw it as a issue on the way out.

I may never have noticed it either if I shot it with gloves on but I tend to fondle a new gun at night watching TV. I may have licked it once too.

Love this GP -

:lol: :lol:

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I hear complaints over on the S&W Forum also. I do not believe anyone goes over them like they used to anymore.
I normally go over them when changing out the springs, and most that I have handles are not bad at all. Not perfect, but nothing I would complain about.
My new GP100 6" Blued looks to me to have as nice a finish as a Royal Phoenix.
I would not have any issues buying a new GP100 at all.

Bob R

dakota1911

Buckeye
I think many manufacturers are cutting corners to keep prices down, esp in the Ruger price space. I would guess Freedom Arms is still nice.

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
Due to increased product demand and increased output, seems like QC is down for many gun companies.

Some Ruger revolvers I have seen in LGS recently have loose rivets, poorly fitted grips, transfer bar pinch, bolt raising early scouring the cylinder and so on.

I love Rugers so no fun to report this. If you buy in a LGS check the gun over good before you take it home. Online vender buyers are taking your chances.

Ruger is not the only company that is having this problem.

Ugly Hombre said:
Due to increased product demand and increased output, seems like QC is down for many gun companies.

Some Ruger revolvers I have seen in LGS recently have loose rivets, poorly fitted grips, transfer bar pinch, bolt raising early scouring the cylinder and so on.

I love Rugers so no fun to report this. If you buy in a LGS check the gun over good before you take it home. Online vender buyers are taking your chances.

Ruger is not the only company that is having this problem.
Rivets? Where?
gramps

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
Trigger pin and hammer pin? (not rivet)

http://www.tombstonetactical.com/images/ruger/5152-1-large.jpg

The two rivet looking pins going through the frame by the trigger and hammer.

Shown in the photo- sorry for my misinformation post- they can be pushed into or out of the frame- not all the way out just flush with the frame, loose and irritating. May not effect function- but its a pain. seems to indicate lack of fitting and QC.

What say ye?

Chief 101

Hunter
I have an old pair of Walnut SBH grips here that are riveted in...things change I guess

Bob Wright said:
I'm beginning to wonder about this, whether I got an exceptionally nice Blackhawk, or if y'all just got the lemon.

I bought a Flat Top Blackhawk .44 Special back in May of thish year, and am impressed with the finish and fit of my gun. The blue seems much deeper than I've become accustomed to on Rugers, and polish and fit seem excellent. Grip frame to cylinder frame was apparently match polished. And the slot in the ejector rod housing is as smooth as can be, with no sharp edge of burrs.

True, did have to swap out the stainblubss steel inner parts for carbon steel, but other than that, I've no complaints.

Bob Wright

Sad to see it so hit or miss.

I notice this in some of my newer Smiths as well, so I know it's not just Ruger.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Betty Ford said it all, "Just say no". If we buy a lousy gun and take it home it's our own fault and if we buy online without a return policy from the place you bought it from it's our own fault. Now if you are building a custom gun and these faults will be resolved through changes that will be incurred then that's your choice. It's been my opinion that most Rugers have been kit guns since the late 80's.