Xmas Ruger Blackhawk project for my dad

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
Several months back, Dad got a brand new Ruger new model Blackhawk, 4-5/8" barrel, in .357 magnum. I know for a fact that he hasn't shot it yet (which is partially my fault, since I should have taken him to the range with me at some point). He also has not cleaned it of the manufacturing residue/goop either.

Dad is going to be 80 in January, is in pretty decent health save for his back being out of whack a little lately, and is someone who is so hard to think of gifts for because he really doesn't need anything. I came up with an idea for his Blackhawk and talked mom into bringing it to me so I could put my idea into action.

My idea got completed a couple weeks ago. First, a couple pics of the gun. We all know what a Blackhawk looks like, but that doesn't mean we don't like pics of them! My first order of business was to dress it up, so I ordered a set of checkered Altamont super walnut grips with fleur-de-lis on them. I also cleaned it inside & out of the manufacturing residues.

I played glamour shots again, because I was bored. Retirement is a wonderful thing:

Next, the box...I have seen a lot of nice S&W revolver pics with those sweet wooden presentation boxes, and figured this would be great for his Blackhawk.

I enlisted the assistance of my father-in-law, who passes time doing woodworking in his garage. He does amazing work for a one-man operation just doing this for ***** & giggles so he doesn't lose his mind. I told him what I wanted to do and we spent 3 weekends together constructing the box. He provided me guidance and instruction (I can't do this stuff alone to save me life) and under his watchful eye I did the cutting, planing, box joints, etc., etc., etc.

I then took it home, ordered some pluck foam from Amazon for the inside of the box, and picked up some brass hardware. Spent a couple weekends polyurethaning the box, inside and out (by the way, that Wipe On Poly is good stuff and very easy to use).

Here is the end result, and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. The only thing missing is the cleaning patch rod, which I have on order and should be getting this week:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Nice job on both the gun and the box! Looks like mahogany for the box? Good choice.

If I could make a small suggestion: Very often fitted boxes like this will include a small wood carrier drilled for 6 rounds of ammo in the case of a revolver, or a cutout for a magazine if a semi-auto.

Mus408

Hunter
Wow I think your Dad will love it! Great job on that box too.
I have some of my Dad's walnut stock in the shed,he was a wood worker also, and need to build a case or two.

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
Nice job on both the gun and the box! Looks like mahogany for the box? Good choice.

If I could make a small suggestion: Very often fitted boxes like this will include a small wood carrier drilled for 6 rounds of ammo in the case of a revolver, or a cutout for a magazine if a semi-auto.
Thank you all for the compliments. It IS mahogany----I didn't realize that mahogany is damn near like balsa wood---very fragile and soft.
It's funny that you mention the ammo option, Gene, because I was strongly considering it. I was kind of going for the "less is more" concept, but I may still do a thing for 6 rounds of ammo. However, I'm thinking any place I put it would make things look unbalanced. Any suggestions of where in the box, and in what configuration , I could do the 6 rounds I'm open to suggestions because I would like to include it. Haven't had time to give it much thought lately.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
rjm6120 said:
GunnyGene said:

Thank you all for the compliments. It IS mahogany----I didn't realize that mahogany is damn near like balsa wood---very fragile and soft.
It's funny that you mention the ammo option, Gene, because I was strongly considering it. I was kind of going for the "less is more" concept, but I may still do a thing for 6 rounds of ammo. However, I'm thinking any place I put it would make things look unbalanced. Any suggestions of where in the box, and in what configuration , I could do the 6 rounds I'm open to suggestions because I would like to include it. Haven't had time to give it much thought lately.

Many different varieties of mahogany, some better in the regard than others.

As for the ammo thing, there are some options that I've seen (and done). With your current configuration I'd probably do a horizontal straight line positioned under the barrel, or vertically on the right side. You could also do a 2x3 rectangle or a circular pattern (like the cylinder) positioned where it would look best to you. You can experiment with this using software such as PowerPoint, before you start carving things up, which is often what I'll do.

Ultimately it's your call. Looks great as is, and including bullets in the same box as the gun may not be welcome (or legal) in the house.

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
Gene, I like the idea of the horizontal line for the 6 rounds. That just might work, thank you. I had tunnel vision concentrating on having them in a circular pattern.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes, very thoughtful gift and nice work. I'm with Rugerman. Give it a finished look with a piece royal blue, black or red velvet formed and bloused over the foam and spray glued in place. You can shape the foam openings with an electric steak knife.

A triangle cartridge block in lower left corner works well. One row of three rounds, then two rounds and one round in the corner. Relocate cleaning brush to under the grip. Or eliminate it because if used it just gets everything dirty, Replace it with a spot for a nice proper fitting tipped screwdriver with wood handle; much more useful to have a screwdriver with the gun.

image.jpeg

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
I appreciate the suggestions---the velvety fabric is a good idea. I have a good amount of time to consider that, in addition to the other ideas from Hondo. Thanks!

Twogun

Bearcat
One more suggestion which you can do but the factory can't as they probably haven't thought if it---under the barrel there is plenty of room for a cutout for a miniature bottle of Jim Beam Black, or some such. As this box and gun is likely more for looking at and appreciating, why not an incentive to open the thing up? Maybe Baileys? Or Glenfidpeat, whatever?

Latest posts