1991 Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I use to have a Blackhawk Hunter in 44 Magnum and a Blackhawk in .357. I could not hit the broad side of a barn with either, so I sold (traded) both of them off.
I Love my double action (GP100's and Redhawk's). I was looking locally on a gun trader /Sales site and noticed a Super Blackhawk that just caught my eye. Posted on the guy's post and we made a trade deal.
One thing that I always felt was the two that I sold because I could not hit anything with them was there was something wrong with them. I am a pretty good shot. I took this Super Blackhawk to the range today and had no problem what so ever hitting anything at all. Very happy with the gun. Does it shoot as comfortable as my Redhawk. Not even close, but it is as accurate just not near as comfortable as the Redhawk.
I do have one question though, why did Ruger go with the Dragoon Style of trigger guard ? That thing is painful of you're off hand finger upon recoil.
Anyway, Happy I made the trade and after a little cleaning and some work with some scrubbing green pad to get the scratches out it looks like new now. Rifling and everything else is excellent.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
That is one of the Main reasons I have the 5.5" SBHs. Rounded Trigger Guards and the Fluted Cylinder. You have a nice SBH, I really like the wood on yours.......................

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
TIP.
Are you sure that those are not factory grips ? I may have to switch out that grip frame to a rounded trigger guard.

Tip

Single-Sixer
jstanfield103 said:
TIP.
Are you sure that those are not factory grips ? I may have to switch out that grip frame to a rounded trigger guard.
No. I believe they are factory Gonçalo Alves grips. That unusual (Portuguese) name refers to a Brazilian hardwood, used by Ruger in, I think, the late '80s, or so. Yours being a '91 could be all original to that gun. My years may be a little off, so I'll defer to more knowledgeable folk to lay out better specifics.
Either way, nice coloring and grain pattern.
Please post the other side, if you get a moment.

PS: If this is accurate, your SBH may be a 1990 vintage.
http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-NMSBhawk44.html

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I will have to write Ruger for exact year. By the Serial # I was guessing the 91 instead of the 90 but 90 maybe correct.. I probably will not get a chance to post the other side till the holidays due to working.

contender

Ruger Guru
Nice gun!
Your question about the Dragoon trigger guard. It was a requested design that does fit a lot of hands. But as we all know, everybody's hands are different,, so it hurts some folks & is sweet to others.
I have to wonder,,, since you mentioned having issues with 2 other Ruger SA's,,, if it's possible your gripping method MIGHT be the problem? NOT criticizing,, just an observation from an instructor.

SPBhawk

Single-Sixer
Great look SBH, congrats !

The trigger guard can bite you, give it a little time and I have a feeling you'll figure out how to hold it and the issue will go away. I have one same config but blued. At first it did hit my knuckle, I somehow figured out how to hold it so it won't get me and it's never been a problem since. I love mine, won't change a thing on it.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Love the looks of the Dragoon trigger guard. Contender, no offense taken in fact that is a very good question. I hold it exactly the way I trained people and have been trained on Double action revolvers. I am right handed so I grip it with my right hand and lock my thumb down with my left hand. It actually bits my bird finger on my left hand. So I will probably have to change my grip a little bit and was starting to do so when I finished my session. Little more experimenting needed though. Thanks for the explanation on the Trigger guard.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Played with my grip again after reading the post last night. I believe with my smaller hands that if I hold my grip higher it will help a lot. I will try it out this holiday weekend. It will help me from going to the stores and fighting the crowd.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Did a little changing on the Blackhawk yesterday. I polished it up to a nice shine. This will be the last one I ever polish again, finger prints are horrid on it. I will have to keep a film of Renaissance or Johnsons Paste Wax on it. But it really is pertty :).
I did learn a lot about the gun during the process. I had never completely and I do mean completely taken apart a Super Blackhawk before. It was a good experience, especially reassembly.

contender

Ruger Guru
Looking good!
Now,,, there is a bit of difference in how most of us hold a SA vs. a DA handgun. The physics of recoil are different due to different frame shapes. As such,,, they require a different way of holding them & dealing with recoil. Look at the shape of a SA grip frame vs. a DA grip frame,,, and you will see what I mean. I teach that you should work with the recoil & not fight it. A SA is designed to roll a bit in the hand under recoil, as it will flip the muzzle up. A DA has a different ergonomic design, and while it will move upward,,, it will also push more rearward first. I prefer FOR MYSELF to let my elbow act as the primary pivot point of upward movement.
Something to consider.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Thanks for the advice Contender. Shot it again today, I managed it better but I am not sure about this and my hand size. I may trade it off after a couple of more shooting sessions.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Yes gun was just not comfortable to shoot. Not for me anyway. I traded for it and thought that I would try a Blackhawk again. I've had two in the past. Never again they just do not fit me like the Redhawk as far as confort in shooting.

I had one of those and had it cut back to 5.5". Every blackhawk in virtually every version whacks my knuckle. Plenty of double actions do too. It is what it is. The blackhawks point well for me and that's important. Double actions whack my knuckle too. Wear a glove or put a bandaid on your knuckle.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Bear Paw,
Never had a double action whack my knuckles, Never. It only took 5 days to get rid of it because I do not enjoy shooting it then it's gone. No use for it. If I had to wear gloves to shoot a revolver than I would be shooting strickly auto's. The Blackhawks never did bang my knuckles they were just uncomfortable to shoot. I use to have a Blackhawk in .357, and a Beasley in 44 Magnum. I sold those years a few years ago. Now I remember why. I sure would Like to enjoy these single action but I just do not.
Thanks for the advice and comments. Like I said I got rid of it and bought the Redhawk in 45 Colt, So much easier and more comfortable to shoot. My Redhawk's are all day shooters.