Pocket Carry Pistol Advice Needed....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BCubed

Bearcat
I'm going next week to a Concealed Handgun Carry class so I can qualify to get my CHP. I currently have a Browning Buckmark .22 as well as a Bauer .25 auto my mom gave me and I plan to carry the Bauer in a pocket holster until I purchase something more powerful.

I'd prefer to pocket carry the pistol because it would be a bit more convenient (at least for me) and I think I would carry it more often. Also there's the fact that my wife isn't very happy with the idea of me concealed carrying (she's not too fond of guns and we have an 8 year old) and I think having it in my pocket where there's no chance of my son really seeing it would make her happier (not happy, but happier).

Background: 48 yo, 6'2", 190 pounds, will pocket carry in jeans/dockers/shorts, max budget is $450.

I really haven't decided it I want to go with a revolver or a semi so I'm looking for some advice.

I'm looking at other manufacturers as well, but as far as Ruger I've basically got it narrowed down to the following based on reviews, price, size, and caliber:
- LCR
- LCP Custom
- LC380
- LC9s
- SR9c

So which of the following would be the best pants pocket carry option for me?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

BCubed

Terry T

Buckeye
I find the LC9 to be a great combination of power a concealablility. Mine is the older version and has multiple safeties plus the long trigger pull - bit safer around children.

In any case, with an 8 year old in your home, securing the firearm when not in use is paramount. If not so much from your own kid but from their friends.
I would also suggest that you take your wife and child to the range to introduce them to the gun.
They don't need to like it or choose it but they need to not be afraid of it, respect it, yes, understand how it works, yes, but not be afraid.
Terry

5of7

Hunter
If I am going to a larger town (Kalamazoo, Battle Creek etc) I carry the LC9s in a belt holster. For around here (Mendon) The LCP goes in the front pocket in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster.

My wife likes the idea of me going armed to the point that she will remind me when we are on the way out the door.

I will soon be 79 years old and not a big guy at all, so the way the world is today....well I just feel better with it than without it. 8)

gasbag

Blackhawk
If you have larger hands or fingers I would scratch off the LCP.
I am 6'1", 230lbs. with average hands for my size and the LCP was very uncomfortable to shoot.
There just wasn't room for my fingers even with an extended mag and I would get my trigger finger pinched once in a while.
I sold it and bought a Sig P238. I love that little gun. Built like a little tank, shoots great and just a cute little bugger.

hinkruger

Single-Sixer
I have a LC9s, SR9c, and a sig P938. Love all 3 but for pocket carry I would only recommend the lc9s. I also had a lc9 and even though its mostly a belly gun, I prefer a gun I can be accurate with even if it is probably a moot point. The sr9c is an awesome gun and aims where I point it but is the same size as a glock 26 so obviously to big for pocket carry. The P938 or P238 for the matter ( I believe 380 to be too marginal for me) is another great gun but for iwb carry not pocket carry.

toysoldier

Hunter
Before settling on pocket carry, check your wardrobe for pocket size. Front pocket carry is possible in most (but not all) pants, but back pocket can be difficult. "Slash" pockets found on dress slacks are out, but even patch pockets on some jeans are too small.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Size alone will probably disqualify the SR9c. I have one and it's a great gun but pocket size it's not. I consider it a toss-up between the LCR and LC9S. Both are relatively small, light and adequately powerful. The LC380 is the same size as the LC9 but not nearly as powerful so why bother? The LCP is the clear winner on size and weight but not nearly as powerful as the others and difficult to shoot well.

Mus408

Hunter
Check out "Hickok45" on youtube. He does really well showing and explaining the various pocket guns.
Just go to his channel and use the search function...the little magnifying glass icon and type in Pocket guns.
If I'm interested in a certain gun I try and find his review on it.

The LCR in .38 would be a good first revolver to start with but the large grip could be a conceal issue in a pocket.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
I'm quite pleased with my plain old LCP. I've had it for years and it goes bang every time and conceals better than anything other than a P32.

I wear plain old Wrangler blue jeans 99.9% of the time. The best fit for my pocket is the LCP in a DeSantis Gunhide pocket holster. I carry this everyday, everywhere except the bank or post office. As to .380 ballistics for self defense it is more than adequate with modern day defense loads. As you said, if it is difficult to conceal it you won't carry. The LCP is very comfortable and very concealable. Your daughter won't know it's there.... My 2 cents.

Dave

I see this is your first post... AND that your IP address mysteriously matches another first poster in another section... But welcome to the forum.

Invest in a good defensive handgun course before deciding to carry a gun. I suggest your wife take the class with you.

Sugar River

Buckeye
None of the above.
Take a long hard look at the Kahr PM9, and its budget version, the CM9, which can be had for around $400.
Been carrying the PM9 in a front pocket in the heat of S FL for 7 years, no problemo.

Sugar River said:
None of the above.
Take a long hard look at the Kahr PM9, and its budget version, the CM9, which can be had for around $400.
Been carrying the PM9 in a front pocket in the heat of S FL for 7 years, no problemo.

Another good choice. I carry this as well, but barely fits the pocket of my Wranglers. I still find myself carrying the LCP by far the most. Also, it is tough to find a PM9 for $450. Usually run a little north of $500.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
One small tip: Make sure the pocket holster you choose matches not only the gun, but the pocket. My main problem with pocket carry is that the gun can move around if the pocket holster is too small for the pocket. When the angle of the pistol changes from the vertical it can be hard to draw quickly.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Whatever you do do not carry your Bauer in your pocket, or anywhere for that matter, with a round in the chamber. The Bauer and the Baby Browning that Bauer copied are striker fired without a firing pin safety. Bauer's metallurgy was inconsistent over the course of production also. Their striker (firing pin) can slip off their sear and fire the pistol even with the safety on.

I prefer a S&W no lock 442 or 642 for pocket carry. Less that a pound loaded with holster and extremely reliable. With a revolver you never have to worry about an insecure grip hold, limpwristing, and the commensurate jam.

Best Regards,
ADP3

wwb

Hunter
Sugar River said:
None of the above.

My son carries a Kahr CW40 (.40 S&W) - I carry a Kahr CW45 (.45 ACP). The CW series is also available in 9x19 if that's your thing.

Small, yet fits big hands, as accurate as can be expected from a short-barrelled pistol, and dead reliable. From day 1, neither of us has had any sort of ftf or fte with either one.

Mtn Biker

Bearcat
I find myself carrying my small revolver in my pocket most of the time and my small pistol in a IWB holster so my first choice would be a LCR in 38+p.

BTW, with the way things are going in the world recently, it wont be long before your wife is asking you if you have your weapon with you.

VL

shorthairptr

Bearcat
BCubed said:
Background: 48 yo, 6'2", 190 pounds, will pocket carry in jeans/dockers/shorts, max budget is $450.

BCubed

Congrats on getting your CCW... The one thing you did not mention (I read some but not all of the comments) was if you are lefty or righty.

me: 49yo, 5'6", 145lbs, and a lefty

Being a lefty its tough for me to find guns that are ambidextrous and small enough to carry.

Sig Sauer P238 - ($500 purchased in 2012) 95% of the time in my front pocket. I have cargo shorts (living in South Florida) with deep pockets. The P238 fits great in my jeans too..

Ruger SR9 (full sized) - is my home defense so I do not carry this at all..

Ruger SR9c - I bought this gun 11/26/2015 for ($350). Why? I love the full sized so much and fits all of my left handed needs (ambi safety and ambi mag release) that after doing a lot of research I heard the 9c is the full sized just smaller. The gun fits in my cargo shorts & jeans very easily. Yes, because its a double stack so it is a little thicker then the Sig and has a 1/2" longer barrel but it still fits very comfortably in my jeans & cargo shorts.

Reason why I bought the 9c was because I wanted a higher caliber pistol then my 380 and holds a few more rounds. I'm taking it to the range this week. I can't wait to shoot it. With more and more states legalizing open carry, this gun fits all my needs. However, Florida has not legalized open carry yet but its in the final stage of congress so the next vote will be the final vote. I'll still have the option to open carry or keep it concealed.

hope this helps...I love the SR series....maybe next year I'll buy the SR45 which I'm sure my fiance would love...lol

dougader

Hunter
I like the Glock 43 and the S&W j frame revolvers.

As to keeping the gun secured. IMO you should take him shooting if only to drill gun safety into him.

Realistically, you can't hide guns or anything else from curious kids. A good safe, yes. And, most children and some women don't have enough grip strength to rack the slide on a compact semi-automatic pistol. My wife can't chamber a round in any of the SA pistols here except the 22/45 Lite.

So, if you're only able to hide the gun then keep it hidden with no round in the chamber. My gun is on my hip, in my pocket, or in the safe.

Oh, I always tell my kids "if you want to see the guns, just tell me. I'll never say no. But please never play with them if I'm not around. They're dangerous if not handled correctly and with utmost respect. I can replace a gun. I can't replace you."

I'll second the Kahr PM9 or the Ruger LCP w the hogue grip. Desantis Nemesis holster and add a Crimson Trace Laser. Also carry an extra magazine and make sure to practice reloading it from where you carry it (no ammo around for in home draw and reload practice).

Latest posts