Anyone else love the 9.5 inch barreled SRH as I do

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rob-c

Single-Sixer
I know a lot of guys will cut them down but man I can shoot good groups at 100 yards with a ultradot on mine . Myself for a hunting revolver I have no problem with the long barrel its a heck of a lot shorter than any rifle or shot gun.

I've had mine since shortly after introduction. Put a Leupold 2x scope on it. Carry it to and from the deer stand in a chest holster. Not the same sort of thing as a S&W M629 Mountain Gun... but it sure is a nice deer revolver from a fixed position like a stand. Used to belong to a range that had old railroad tracks nearly buried in the dirt at 50, 100, 150, and 200 yards. Which gave you a nice flat place to sit water filled 2 liter cola bottles. I can't say with certainty that I ever managed to hit one at 200 yards but 150 was well within the gun's capabilities. Just depended on how good a day the shooter was having. Sierra silhouette match bullets. 220 and 250 grain. I seem to remember the 250's worked better at that range.

Great fun from a big heavy bench. Take your time and shoot at things far away!

rob-c

Single-Sixer
Yep got a bandolier holster for mine, I am shooting 240 grain xtp's over 21 grains of 2400.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
My brother has a 9.5 SRH in 44 Magnum, mine is a 9.5 SRH in 480R. Neither of us has an issue with the long barrel. I pack mine to and from my stand in a modified Boyt case set up with D Rings for a shoulder strap.
I am sure I could live with a 7-1/2", but I prefer the 9.5"

My other hunting handgun is a Super 14 Contender, so the 9.5 SRH is not all that long.

Bob R

rob-c

Single-Sixer
if I ever find a 480 for as good of a deal as I got on the 44. well you know

Rclark

Hunter
Sold mine a few years back. I don't hunt. Not handy for packing or really taking to the range. Sat in the safe instead of being used. So traded for an original Vaquero .45 Colt and some cash and I was good. Shot well, but just not 'handy' for my use.

Steve in PA

Bearcat
I've had my 9.5" SRH for 20+ years now. I own a lot of handguns, but th SRH is my favorite gun, by far. I'm a handgun hunter and have taken several deer with this gun. Last year I got back into the T/C Contender game and thoroughly enjoy them, but nothing compares to shooting that big .44 Magnum.

I have several 14" barrels for my T/C (.223 and 7-30 Waters), so I've never had an issue with the long barrel of the SRH. I shoot nothing but heavy loads of 240 or 300 grain bullets over H110 through my SRH. I also use the UM Bandoleer Holster when hunting.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
Had a 9.5" SRH in .44 mag and really liked it ...... it wore the One Ragged Hole rear sight (peep) and the Ruger front gold bead painted black by me.

It was a grand combo ........ but a trade opportunity came along for a 7.5" SRH in .480 plus!

I have my SS RH 7.5" in .44 mag and it's cylinder/bore dimensions beat my particular specimen in the 9.5" and the accuracy bears it out so the RH will always stay and maybe I'll end up with another 9.5" ..... rather it be in the .480 now though .........

Three 44s

Since several people have mentioned it... I know Ruger is making the SRH in .480 again but at least at first only in 7.5". Have they started making the 9.5" in .480 yet? I've got a .480 Alaskan and my .480 Bisley Blackhawk just came in yesterday... would love to have a 9.5" to go with them.

Gregg

Tom W

Blackhawk
I had one in .480 with a Leupold 2x scope. Offhand I could break clay pigeons @ 100 yards with ease with my handloads. Like a fool I traded it off for a target rifle. I wish I had the shorter 7.5" barrel though.

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
tulsamal said:
Since several people have mentioned it... I know Ruger is making the SRH in .480 again but at least at first only in 7.5". Have they started making the 9.5" in .480 yet?

I've seen them on auction listings. You should give http://www.gunwatcher.com a try, you may find a couple NIB somewhere on there.

My SRH 480 was originally a 9.5 inch stainless steel finish, from a small batch that Ruger made back in 2011. I've since had it cut down to 6 inches and ported by Cylinder & Slide though. I have to imagine that the newer models are going to be very nose-heavy, since the barrel profile has been changed.

I never liked the Target Gray. Regular Ruger stainless is fine with me. Main reason I never bought a .454 or .480 was that gray finish. I'll look around for a stainless 9.5" .480. I suppose the gun fund is kind of depleted right now though so it may have to wait until spring!

G