45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jbntx

Single-Sixer
Yea, I know what you mean. There's no such caliber as a 45 Long Colt.

The most popular explanation for the misnaming is so that the shorter 45 Schofield rounds could be distinguished from the longer 45 Colt rounds.
Thus the name Long Colt.

DGW1949

Hunter
hdxr750 said:
How many of you are troubled when some say's 45 Long Colt instead of 45 Colt?

Is that a serious question, or are ya just pokin' a little fun at us? :lol: .

DGW

eveled

Hawkeye
You can't control what bothers you, I'll try to stop saying Long Colt, now that I know it bothers you. Never really thought about it, now I know.

If it means anything to you, my pet peeve is when people call a car engine a motor.

cadillo

Blackhawk
eveled said:
You can't control what bothers you, I'll try to stop saying Long Colt, now that I know it bothers you. Never really thought about it, now I know.

If it means anything to you, my pet peeve is when people call a car engine a motor.

According to the definitions in my dictionary, a car's power plant is more appropriately referred to as a motor as opposed to an engine, which would be stretch if not a misnomer. Perhaps you've heard the term "Motor Vehicle". Engine Vehicle? Not!

Department of Motor Vehicles, Yes. Department of Engine Vehicles? Not!

"Motor Oil", Yes. Engine Oil? Haven't seen that yet.

Rclark

Hunter
Used too, but you can't change other peoples minds even when 'educated' and 're- educated' :D . No biggie any more.... Just let it go by.....

Yeah, well, some do the same with model airplane engines and electric motors.... Tis what it is.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
jbntx said:
The most popular explanation for the misnaming is so that the shorter 45 Schofield rounds could be distinguished from the longer 45 Colt rounds.
Thus the name Long Colt.

To be very precise, the name of that cartridge was .45 smith & Wesson, and sometime just before WW I there was a short .45 Colt round, and also a round called .45 Colt Government.

Period cartridges:

Headstamps of those rounds:

Bob Wright

Poco Oso

Buckeye
eveled said:

How do you feel about motorcycle? :wink: Engine cycle?... That just aint right. :lol: The long Colt thing has never bothered me as I had heard the Schofield/Long Colt explanation before. It made sense to me.

Well this is from Midway.

544894.jpg

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Obviously, someone in charge at HSM is in the 45LC camp. I'm firmly in the "45 Colt" camp. The long colters are a bit irritating, but not so much that I ever try to correct them, or lose any sleep. The term "long Colt" was born out of ignorance in the 1870's. A slang term is a slang term, no matter how long it hangs on. I think it's a bit confusing to actually mark ammo anything other than its proper name. There are a whole lot of folks, especially younger folks, who have never heard the "long Colt" terminology. Such marked ammo and guns are few and far between.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
71shooter said:
I think it's a bit confusing to actually mark ammo anything other than its proper name.
There are many rounds that have several names all of which may be or are correct. SAAMI has tried to standardize ammo names and dimensions but they are not the last word by any means.
.45 acp, .45 Auto by C.I.P. or 45 Auto by SAAMI
9mm Luger, 9×19mm, 9mm Parabellum

hdxr750

Single-Sixer
DGW1949 said:
hdxr750 said:

DGW
Not poking fun. I don't get mad, I mainly just wonder why it's done.

tinman

Buckeye
hdxr750 said:
DGW1949 said:
hdxr750 said:

DGW
Not poking fun. I don't get mad, I mainly just wonder why it's done.

So the guy at the ammo counter will not hand me a(nother) box of .45 ACP.......... :wink:

Old Dog Soldier

Bearcat
71shooter said:
Obviously, someone in charge at HSM is in the 45LC camp. I'm firmly in the "45 Colt" camp. The long colters are a bit irritating, but not so much that I ever try to correct them, or lose any sleep. The term "long Colt" was born out of ignorance in the 1870's. A slang term is a slang term, no matter how long it hangs on. I think it's a bit confusing to actually mark ammo anything other than its proper name. There are a whole lot of folks, especially younger folks, who have never heard the "long Colt" terminology. Such marked ammo and guns are few and far between.

Pard, as you get older, it probably won't bother you as much. You will just have years and years to enjoy the Grand Old Cartridge, no matter what you call it.

A good friend of mine just bought a new Blackhawk in 45 Long Colt. But then again, I will give ya, we are both on the Farrrrrrr side of 60.

ODS