45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

winchester348

Single-Sixer
I'm not a fan of the Taurus Judge but the fact that I can't remember anyone walking into a shop and asking for .45 Colt Ammunition for their Colt SAA or Smith 25 in a millennium prior to the introduction of the Judge. I would give the fact that until the introduction of the Judge the selection of .45 Colt ammo from the big ammo makers was limited to a light cowboy load and an anemic HP with the exception of your Buffalo Bore loads and the likes.

I've never called 45 Colt anything other than 45 Colt, because that is what it was called by its creator, and folks up here generally know the difference between it and 45ACP, which we do call 45 ACP.
But, let's not start a name calling war.

Arkansas Paul

Bearcat
We all have things that, while they may not make us angry, do get under our skin just a little.
I'm indifferent on the .45 Colt vs. Long Colt issue but one I always (jokingly......kind of) correct people on is when they say they shot a deer in the "front shoulder".

I guess it is technically correct but redundant because no animal that I know of has a "rear shoulder". :)

CraigC

Hawkeye
Arkansas Paul said:
We all have things that, while they may not make us angry, do get under our skin just a little.
I'm indifferent on the .45 Colt vs. Long Colt issue but one I always (jokingly......kind of) correct people on is when they say they shot a deer in the "front shoulder".

I guess it is technically correct but redundant because no animal that I know of has a "rear shoulder". :)
Howdy stranger! :)

Arkansas Paul

Bearcat
CraigC said:
Arkansas Paul said:

Howdy stranger! :)

Hey Craig.
Fancy meeting you here. :)

Bob PM'd me over at THR regarding my question for some grips and mentioned this forum.
I'm a Ruger fanatic, though I only own 2 at the moment, so I thought I'd check it out.

Looks like a pretty cool place.

mongochicago

Bearcat
We have been so inundated with slang & labels that it doesn't bother me. How many people use Xerox for all copiers, bullets for ammunition etc. When did "pistols" only refer to semi auto? Pistol meant any handgun. In the old west - before any semi autos - you were a pistolero.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Well I'm good with Long Colt but then I've been known to cal a GMC a Jimmy and an International Harvester pickup a Cornbinder. I used to own a 99 Savage in 250-3000 but I've been corrected and I guess they are 250 Savages. One of my older relatives shoots a 94 Winchester in thutty thutty as he pronounces it.

pix312753183.jpg

544894.jpg

Guess these are mislabeled?

5of7

Hunter
protoolman said:
Well I'm good with Long Colt but then I've been known to cal a GMC a Jimmy and an International Harvester pickup a Cornbinder. I used to own a 99 Savage in 250-3000 but I've been corrected and I guess they are 250 Savages. One of my older relatives shoots a 94 Winchester in thutty thutty as he pronounces it.

I think the .25 Savage was introduced by Savage as the 250-3000 Savage to point to the then ultra high velocity of 3000 fps (with the 87 gr. bullet).

These different names for cartridges are nothing more--or less--than colloquial terms and are neither "wrong" nor "right." They are just different terms for the same thing and deserve no more consternation that any of the other thousands of colloquial terms in use today, yesterday, and likely, forevermore. 8)