Old Army revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

k22fan

Blackhawk
nvbirdman said:
I have three of them sitting around here. 7 1/2" blued as, 7 1/2" stainless as, 5 1/2" stainless fs.

There is the same problem at my house. Mine have also been "sitting around here" for too long. For a change of pace I need to get them out to the range. I have not seen a 5 1/2" since they were new on the shelf in the 1990s. In hind sight I wish I'd bought one.

In other threads members write it would be great if Ruger made a production run one or another variation of center fire but the big hole in their product line is the lack of Old Armies. They were, and without challenge remain, the best cap-n-ball ever built.

Was there anything in particular you wanted to ask about them Dave?

k22fan

Blackhawk
Bear,

I love the look of that Bowie! The trouble is, other than cleaning salmon with them I rarely use the big knives I buy. I used to take a stainless ROA over to your side of the hills for plinking then not clean it until just before leaving at the end of a week. I burned Pyrodex RS so fouling accumulation was not a problem. BTW, I just bought some grizzly protection. I bought a 3.5" (closed) K-Bar jack knife with a man stabbing an erect 9 foot bear on its shield. :wink:

BearBio

Buckeye
I try to have an appropriate knife for my SASS outfits. That one is bone and the grips are moose antler. The holster will be a well concho-ed set of Slim Jim holsters died with vinegarone (a home-made die that gives a true, deep black color)

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
steve8261948 said:
................................ Too bad in Ruger's mind they weren't worth keeping around.
Steve

I sometimes wonder if the fact that the Old Army trigger, grip frame and related innards could be used to unconvert factory conversions of Three Screw Blackhawks had anything to do with their demise.

I bought several steel grip frames for Old Armys to build custom Blackhawks.

Bob Wright

eveled

Hawkeye
I agree Bob. I think somehow it has to be related to the infamous lawsuit. A real shame.

DPris

Buckeye
The OA was a personal project of Bill Ruger's.
He said the gun would be around as long as he was alive.
It was.
He died.

Combination of no-transfer-bar & lagging sales caused his successors to let it go.
Denis

k22fan

Blackhawk
Granted we can't hope ROAs will sell as fast as the morning doughnuts coming out of the deep fat fryer or what ever you want to compare the latest squirts of plastic to, but there was never a use for transfer bars in ROAs.

What ever happened to our O.P.? Did he just want to read random chatter about ROAs? Could he be a spy from Ruger Marketing testing to see if there is any interest?

DPris

Buckeye
That's the point: Ruger upgraded to transfer bar "safeties" in all other single-action models because of the potential liability, but couldn't with the OA.
Denis

Rclark

Hunter
I enjoy shooting my ROAs. Mostly in warmer weather though. Got two of mine out several times this summer. Would not be without one ... or two ... or three ... I believe they about the finest BP revolver out there. Only down side is they are 'over' built for the purpose.

Tip

Single-Sixer
I have but one...
Beautiful guns!
2vtrza9.jpg

ElToro

Single-Sixer
Been wanting to buy one. Always debating fixed or adjustable sights. I have a 1851 navy copy and it's fun to shoot. Been looking to be able to step up the horsepower in a black powder.

Could the fact it can be converted to shoot modern ammo could have led to its demise ?