Vaquero stainless 3¾" 45 ACP with birdhead grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yankee_Papa

Bearcat
Two days ago on GunBroker.com I bought a Vaquero stainless 3¾" 45 ACP with birdhead grips from BudsGunShop.

My local gun shop's FFL is on file and my payment has been acknowledged. The Vaquero is on its way!

Can someone who has one tell me what holster you use for it?
411549126.jpg

Yetiman

Bearcat
I found the DeSantis Doc Holiday worked pretty well for me.

I glued a strip of leather under the trigger guard as the gun went in about 1/4 inch too far the way it came.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
Congratulations. 8)

I've owned a birds head Vaquero 45 ACP for a couple of years now and it is far and away my favorite single action revolver. I think you will love it..

I don't have a holster suggestion as I never carry it - except in a range bag when I'm going shooting.

Terry T

Buckeye
I had a Triple K holster made up that allows cross draw or straight draw.

I use the 1911 mags as 'speed loaders' - just thumb the rounds into the loading gate.
Terry T

Mus408

Hunter
Check out Mernickle Holsters too. They made me a pair of Performance style holsters for my Ruger .45 ACP Birdie and my Taylor's Running Iron .45 Colt Birdie in a cross draw setup!
Nice holsters that secure the guns really well.

blueroan

Bearcat
Bob Mernickle and his elves just delivered a custom rough-out rig...Clint Eastwood fans...for my 3.5 inch 44 magnum Original Size VAQUERO. They made left and right holsters for 5.5 inch VAQUEROS to go with it. I've got several of his CAS rigs...d*** belts have shrunk over the last couple years.'
I can't say enough good things about Mernickles. I put high mileage on the rigs over the past 20 years.

Mus408

Hunter
Make sure to have a good gun belt too. I found one at a local gun show...it's 1/4 inch thick leather and not two pieces stiched together. Came from Pennsylvania Amish leather workers.

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
I've used Mernickle High ride for my Birdshead, as well as El Paso Saddlery IWB.
OH yeah, also used a DM Bullard Bodyguard on occasion.

No pics, as I've wiped them off my Photobucket to make room...but all are great for carry.

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
They are great revolvers! I have a couple of holsters mostly use a "western star" concealment. I like it a lot.

http://www.westernstarleather.com/

http://www.westernstarleather.com/Conceal-Carry-Holster-H158-H158.htm

Nice folks ez to deal with.

Yankee_Papa

Bearcat
OP here: I'm lovin' my 45 ACP Vaquero. But it shoots way too low. I'm slowly filing the front sight down to bring point of impact up.

I guess I ought to bring the file and diamond card to the range. Oh well. I'm having fun.

I'd like another one in 44 Special.

Mus408

Hunter
Another thing is you can carry your extra ammo in a spare 1911 magazine and just pop'em right in the cylinder.

Mus408

Hunter
Letting loose with both my Birdies...Ruger .45 ACP and the Uberti Running Iron with Birdshead in .45 Colt. Pure fun!
https://youtu.be/FQHuU5XvNM0

Dirknar

Bearcat
These are so cool. I almost bought one a few years ago and ended up buying some other pistol instead. I always wished I would have bought it. It was in 45lc.

I second that motion on making them in 44spl. That would be perfect!