Question on the 3.75" bbl Ruger grips/frames

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blueduck

Bearcat
Greetings,

Being mainly a Glock guy I'm kind of out of knowledge base on this one. :wink:

Been looking at the Short bbl Rugers single actions. I think it's the Montado that has a more traditional style grip and the some other Distributor exclusives that has the Birdshead grip? Starting to look to buy now, the regular grip appeals a bit more to me, but is it just the grips or the grip frames themselves that are different. In other words, if I buy a birds head grip version, and did not like it (or vice versa), would I be able to buy the other style grips and move on, or are the frames themselves different?

Thanks!

Enigma

Hunter
The frames themselves are different, and restrict you to that style of grip. Switching from, say, a birdshead to a plowhandle would require a complete grip frame be fitted, and the appropriate grips installed.

contender

Ruger Guru
One other thing to consider.
Ruger factory grip frames all have the same hole pattern on ALL the SA models. I have put NM grip frames under OM guns, Super Blackhawk grip frames under a Single-Six, Bisley's under NM's, etc.
So to get what you wish,,, you can swap out grip frames & grips fairly easily.

G2

Hunter
Here is a thought for you to think about.

A birdshead is nothing but a standard plow that has been round butted. You can take a standard XR3-RED/ plow grips and install it on the birdshead, same grip panel pin location. This will leave the "void" where it was round butted, however this space can be filled with a little addition to the plow handle grip panels.

Now with all that said, I have never seen a custom grip maker or grip manufacture make these for a Ruger,,,,
I see this done all the time with Smith & Wesson's. RB to SB.

I have done this for myself, sorry don't have a picture and have parted ways with the grips, it did turn out ok. I didn't try to do it seemless, I used the Ahrends S&W RB to SB look where it meet the frame, this leaves a small insignificant void.