Anyone have a catastrophic Failure on a Sp101 like this?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Analogkid

Bearcat
I'll give them both a chance to look it over if need be.

I checked my ammo the newer boxes have a different lot number. Still not sure I would trust it now though.

And of course one of my buddies made sure to let me know his Shiny Stainless Rossi 2" is still running fine and has more rounds through it than my High Dollar Sp101. <Groan>!

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I can assure you the load that grenaded your Ruger would have done the same to his Rossi.
If it was an overload, there could have been only one bad one out of a run of a million rounds. You just found it.

Analogkid

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
I can assure you the load that grenaded your Ruger would have done the same to his Rossi.
If it was an overload, there could have been only one bad one out of a run of a million rounds. You just found it.

Some luck to have right?

dougader

Hunter
And we should trust factory ammo, why? Federal 45 ammo blew up Portland PB G21's as well. I see this every few years from different ammo manufacturers.

I have yet to blow up any pistol with my hand loaded ammo.

Analogkid said:
And of course one of my buddies made sure to let me know his Shiny Stainless Rossi 2" is still running fine and has more rounds through it than my High Dollar Sp101. <Groan>!

His Rossi would have been in far more pieces. Don't blame your little revolver for whatever blew it up.

WAYNO.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I agree, at least we hand loaders have control over what goes into our ammo (us single stage loaders at least)and that makes me feel confident that I will never experience a KA-BOOM unless it is my fault. Following simple handloader procedure rules will prevent any problems.

Analogkid

Bearcat
WAYNO said:
Analogkid said:

His Rossi would have been in far more pieces. Don't blame your little revolver for whatever blew it up.

WAYNO.

I guess I don't really blame it. Its was a pretty bad let go.

And my buddy is a good guy. He made sure to ask how I was Before he started ribbing me about it.

His Little Rossi is a Tank as well. I know he has fed it a steady diet of magnum loads. Waaaay more than I have over the years in the sp101.

I guess if both Companies turn a blind eye to what happened I will look into getting one of the Rossi's Maybe a blem model or something. With cut backs at work and a 3 year old eating me out of house and home. I just am not at the point in my life to be able to spend another $500+ on a new Sp101.

Analogkid said:
I guess if both Companies turn a blind eye to what happened I will look into getting one of the Rossi's...

Think positive. KABOOM's go viral quickly. Neither the ammo company nor the gun company wants this kind of publicity. I think you will be made well.

WAYNO.

Analogkid

Bearcat
WAYNO said:
Analogkid said:
I guess if both Companies turn a blind eye to what happened I will look into getting one of the Rossi's...

Think positive. KABOOM's go viral quickly. Neither the ammo company nor the gun company wants this kind of publicity. I think you will be made well.

WAYNO.

Messed up that reply I guess?. Edit.

I guess I will know more this week when I try to get a hold of them.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
BEFORE you ship them the gun, make sure you take as many pictures as you can that show the serial number etc. of the gun in your possession. Write down all the specific info you can on the gun & how it was handled & shot. Basically a full history of the gun for as long as you've owned it.
Once you ship it to them,,, you will no longer see it.

But,,, it's highly likely they will replace the gun for you.
I know this for a reason.
I used to own a Redhawk 44 mag. I'm the first person, (as far as I know,) to have the infamous barrel separation from the frame. I wrote a detailed description of when I bought the gun & from what gun shop. I never fired a single round of factory ammo from it,,, all reloads. I had detailed notes on the gun. I sent Ruger a copy of all of this.
Without any direct person contacting me,, (and this was before the internet,) I got a nice letter from them. It was basically a letter asking if I was hurt in any way. Included was another letter/form for me to sign if I wasn't hurt. It was a liability release. I signed it & they replaced my Redhawk.
No explanation was offered at that time. (Because they didn't know why either.)
It was several years before the cause was discovered. And I only found out because I called them about something else, & asked questions. Turned out it had to do with the lube used on the barrel threads & allowing it to dry & change the viscosity of it. It caused over-torquing issues. A rare & odd occurrence.

So, contact them & be polite. You'll likely get a new gun quickly.

I'm with Wil on this one, only time we used to see this was back in the day , the PPC guys and target reloads, believe it was called "detonation", the small dose of powder simply "blew" ?? all at the same time, not burn rapidly............very good pictures by the way.
Good luck and be thankful no -one was injured. :wink:

5of7

Hunter
rugerguy said:
I'm with Wil on this one, only time we used to see this was back in the day , the PPC guys and target reloads, believe it was called "detonation", the small dose of powder simply "blew" ?? all at the same time, not burn rapidly............very good pictures by the way.
Good luck and be thankful no -one was injured. :wink:

This is the best guess on this blow-up I have read here so far... It may not have been a double charge, but a 1/3 charge of slower burning propellant. 8)

Analogkid

Bearcat
Update of sorts.

FEDERAL called me early this morning and requested lot# and that the ammo be sent back to them. They wanted pictures of the gun and will be sending Ups to pick up the ammo.
They wanted to know events prior to the kaboom and after.

So kudos I guess to them for getting back to me straight away.

Chuck 100 yd said:

Probably worse.

Thank Ruger's sturdy gun you still have a hand.

Analogkid

Bearcat
Federal has called me back and says they would now like to see the Gun as well as the ammo.

They are sending a UPS ticket to have them both picked up on Tuesday.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Analogkid said:
Federal has called me back and says they would now like to see the Gun as well as the ammo.

IMHO I would send Federal the box and some of the unfired ammo only. I would not send Federal the SP-101. They can have all the photos they want but I would have a hard time trusting an ammo company with a firearm that went kaboom using their ammo. Seems like it would benefit them if that SP-101 got accidentally lost.

Ruger will most likely want the SP-101. I *would* send it to Ruger along with the rest of the unfired ammo including photos of the ammo box and lot number. They will probably replace it with another one for you.

Your gun, your decision of course. Hope you get it replaced soon!

Cordite

ginzo

Single-Sixer
Glad you are good, safe and healthy.

I had a problem with federal ammo, it was the "Guard dog" self defense type round. did not blow up, but the casings got these weird dents while just sitting in loaded mags. (After about 2 weeks). Sent them back for inspection, they replaced them, no explanation. The new ones did the same thing. Sent them down range, no issues. Changed to another brand of ammo.

Probably a non issue, but enough to make me change.

I always used Federal in the 870. I don't shy away from them, but I don't buy them as a rule anymore.

Analogkid

Bearcat
awp101 said:
Analogkid said:
And my buddy is a good guy. He made sure to ask how I was Before he started ribbing me about it.
That's the sign of a true friend.

"You OK? Good, now I can start busting your chops!" :mrgreen:

That's pretty much how he is.

Latest posts