NM Super Blackhawk Value Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Am curious to see what this NM Super Blackhawk might be worth.

The story (not that it matters for value):

I bought it new 1970s. Figured I "needed" a .44 Mag. Sent it to Magnaport for shortening barrel to 4.625", porting, trigger work, red insert front sight and white outline rear sight. The rebluing was very nice. Frankly, I did not "need" a .44 Mag and with full mag loads, it wasn't much fun for me. Never shot it much; probably less than 150 rds.

I sold on consignment circa 1992; unknown buyer.

Circa 2002, discovered a local fellow was the consignment buyer. Don't know how much he shot it. In 2003 or 2004, he sold it back to me! Again, I did not "need" it and it still wasn't a fun revolver for me; probably put less than 100 rds through it.

So, in 2008 or 2009, I sold it again, this time to a co-worker with the understanding that if he got tired of it, I got first chance to buy it back.

In 2011 or 2012, he sold it back to me! He said he shot it very little. And again, I didn't "need" it but figured it was nice to have it back.

Well, during those years, I've picked up two .44 Special Blackhawks. One is a NM Lipseys and one is an om .357 converted to .44 Special. And I really enjoy them - smaller frame, easier packing, less recoil, and they do everything I need done.

So, again I'm thinking seriously about selling the Super Blackhawk. There is nothing wrong with it; I just don't need nor desire the larger, heavier, magnum revolver.

Any ideas on a reasonable price?

toroflow

Single-Sixer
My guess is $450-500. Might be a little more difficult to find a buyer since it's been ported.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Yeah, kinda wish I hadn't ported it.

Thought about taking off the barrel, shortening it to 3" or so, and putting it on an old model Blackhawk .357 to .44 Special conversion; would be a nice sheriffs model .44 Special. But don't think I want to take on that expense; and what would I do with the remainder of the Super Blackhawk? Ha.

k22fan

Blackhawk
She's a little heavier, chunkier and more loud mouthed than your ideal but you've left her then couldn't keep yourself from going back to her twice so it's time to admit she'd your gal.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Another good point. I've violated the "don't sell" rule before, and sometimes regretted it. I'll think it over. Might sell to fund something else.