GP100 in 38 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

27 Man

Bearcat
Just left Gander Mountain. In their used gun section is a 6" GP100 in 38 Special. I was under the impression that GP100 revolvers were all .357 Magnum. My background in Ruger DA revolvers is limited to my Security Six so I am reaching out to the experts to advise me as to the scarcity of that GP100 in 38 Spl. Many thanks.

rcramden

Bearcat
Can't speak on a 6" GP in .38special. However I do own a 4" with fixed sight. From what I've been told these were a run for the NYPD, or some such department, that were rejected for whatever reason. All I know is that it is a great shooter. Never seen nor heard of one in 6". That's it in my avatar.

wproct

Single-Sixer
My most recent GP100 purchase is a 3 inch bbl adjustable sighted model in .38 special. It's a model made in special runs for Davidson's distributor. Many shooters might rightly choose the versatility of the .357 magnum models, but all I shoot is .38 specials and this one just caught my eye. I love shooting it.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Seen lots of three and four inchers, but I've not seen or heard of a six inch. I'm no expert either, but I think I'd have had to buy it.

hittman

Staff member
I didn't know there was ever a 6" GP in .38 Special but with Ruger you never say never.

Be nice to have the numbers off the end label on the box.

stantheman86

Buckeye
Are you sure it was a 6" and not one of the Davidson's 4" .38 adjustable sight models?

I am 99.9% sure no 6" GP100 chambered for .38 Special was ever made, if it was in fact a 6" RUN don't walk back there and buy it.......because it's the first one ever spotted.

k22fan

Blackhawk
I am also surprised to read of an original 6" .38 GP 100. Perhaps it was only assumed that the factory assembled it in its present condition. Maybe someone who owned a shorter barreled .38 and a 6" .357 swapped cylinders then got rid of the unwanted long barrel and .38 cylinder together. Now that I think of it doing the opposite appeals to me. I like long barreled .38 specials for recreational shooting and matches.

A few of us would like better details. Is it stainless or blued? I've never heard of a fixed sighted 6" GP 100 so I assume it has adjustable sights. Is that correct? What is stamped on the barrel and if it has its original box what is printed on the box label?

chet15

Hawkeye
k22fan said:
Maybe someone who owned a shorter barreled .38 and a 6" .357 swapped cylinders then got rid of the unwanted long barrel and .38 cylinder together.

Yeah, but where would you find another 6" Ruger barrel with the .38 Special rollmark? The only other ones done were a few 150- prefix "low-back" grip framed guns and a small production of stainless 6" guns with .38 Special rollmark for the CHP. Both were standard short lug Security-Six type barrels.

A serial number on the piece in question would sure help on this one, so it can at least be documented that something like this even exists!
Chet15

k22fan

Blackhawk
[...] Yeah, but where would you find another 6" Ruger barrel with the .38 Special rollmark? The only other ones done were a few 150- prefix "low-back" grip framed guns and a small production of stainless 6" guns with .38 Special rollmark for the CHP. Both were standard short lug Security-Six type barrels. [...]
Chet15

Roll mark or bill board? We await the O.P.'s report on how the barrel is marked. While Ruger may have had an order from a municipality or correctional system that they never made known revolver prices have gotten so high that I've become skeptical of claims of rare ones. I doubt a distributor has ordered any. There's very little demand for them. Local gun stores NEVER stock new 6" mid-frame .38s and I have occasionally found super deals on 6" mid-frame DA .38 & .357 S&Ws and .357 Rugers.

BTW, I've wanted one of the 6" stainless .38 Security Sixes for a long time but I've only seen them in pictures.

27 Man

Bearcat
The revolver in question is marked .38 Special on the rib below the barrel on the right side. No box was available to observe. It is located at the Gander Mountain in Tulsa, OK. Sorry I can't provide more details but it is in the the used display case if you would care to contact the store.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Maybe it is a reimport from a country that doesn't allow magnum revolvers, i.e. Brazil? S&W made some full lug 6" 686's in .38 Special for that market and a few of them have come back into the states.

If it's priced as a shooter, I'd buy it as a shooter and then find out the rest--you MIGHT get a nice surprise and if you don't, then you have a great shooter. .38 wadcutters in a GP are really fun and kill small game like crazy--they even leave some to eat!

I have a 4" stainless half-lug .38 that I was told (!!!!) was an overrun from some made for the former US Customs Service. I bought it at the "shooter" price....got the story for free!

k22fan

Blackhawk
My 4" blued full lug .38 GP 100 also came with a free but not as specific story. The sales clerk said it was surplused by a correctional (prison) system or large security company. I think he was just revealing his bias against mid-frame .38s. Civilians bought zillions of them over the last 125 years and mine has no holster wear.

chet15

Hawkeye
I'd say a GP100 with a 6"/.38 Special combination is a rare bird!! Always has been in Ruger's DA's.
If you are able to get a serial number off of that one I can use that to document in the Reference of Ruger Firearms. If nobody knows about it, its just another gun. Also, you can rest assured that somebody will ask about such a gun in the future.
Chet15

I still wonder "why" they did the top of the GP 100 38 special GPNY guns with a "checkered pattern" on a "double action ONLY gun??????

No 'spur' bobbed hammer, NO 'single action' notch, so one cannot cock the gun, ONLY pull the trigger........

:?

Latest posts