Can I shoot this Security Six? Would You?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CA357

Bearcat
I love Security Sixes and I just bought this one to carry around our place in the woods. However it occurs to me that carrying and shooting it might be sacriligeous.
Anyway, it's a new in the box Security Six, stainless, six inch barrel and it's stamped Police Marksman Association. I think it's from 1979. It comes with a wood showcase, but it's supposed to be matched to a Redhawk. There's a space in the case for the Redhawk so it's part of a set and it's incomplete.

It's got the original box with the plastic, manual and another piece of paper or two, and the shipper. There's also a label, letter and something else that documents the gun from the Police Marksman Association.

I bought it because I want it to carry and shoot. What would you Ruger experts do in my place?

IMGP2289_zpsgzbpstyn.jpg

IMGP2288_zpslskcu4aw.jpg

IMGP2287_zps453mncby.jpg

IMGP2286%20-%20Copy_zpslgmqm7bq.jpg

IMGP2285%20-%20Copy_zpsh1shlnqw.jpg

IMGP2284_zpshzgtru8z.jpg

IMGP2283_zpsu1len8ex.jpg

IMGP2290_zpsziddtqhr.jpg

I'm torn about my answer as I seriously collect the Six series guns.

Without the matching Redhawk, the collector value is so-so in my opinion. With everything you have you can do several things:

Sell the box, shipper, papers, etc. to a collector who needs this.

Keep the box and sell the papers etc to a collector who might need these items.

Keep everything and carry/shoot it.

I had a guy get the whole package. Everything was there including a few issues of "The Police Marksman" magazine that advertised the set. It came in, he did the paperwork for the guns and told me he didn't have any interest in the box and papers that he bought the guns to shoot. Subsequently he sold everything except the guns to me for $25. I don't have any of the guns of the set but I jumped at the chance to get the box and everything else.

CA357

Bearcat
Thanks for your thoughts Ronin. If it was the complete unfired set I couldn't have afforded it.

BTW, I posted pics in the OP. It doesn't look particularly fancy, but I really like the grips. I just spotted the Association logo on the top strap. I'll take a pic and post it.

Terry T

Buckeye
It would appear that the certificate does not match the gun. Ser. No. should be the same.
I found a matching set (Redhawk & Security Six) without the wooden case. Found a case on E-bay but I don't have the paper work. (And no, it's not that Ser. No.).
Terry T

Terry, I didn't see the pics when I posted.

You are correct, the serial number should be XXX-000564 for the gun to match.

Also, I don't remember that type of shipper when the set came for the guy that bought it. It did have two separate boxes for the guns, but it came in one shipper with the two guns in their boxes and the case in another box and an envelope with the certificate and the keys to the case.

The Ruger box is correct, with the "T" in the catalog number for the target grips, but the shipper is probably just from another gun.

The Police Marksman Society on had 1000 sets made so that serial number is too high. Although I did talk to a gentleman at the OGCA show this summer who was the rep who helped put this purchase together. He told me that they actually got 1010 sets made and sets 1001-1010 were given to people high in the Police Marksman Society (I was going to abbreviate but thought I probably shouldn't :wink: ). He was given set serial number 1003 for his work in overseeing/expediting the purchase.

CA357

Bearcat
I love a good mystery. On the advice of you fine gentlemen I'm going to use this gun and just enjoy it.

See if the number on the gun actually matches the shipper or the certificate ?? I being a "former"?? Life Member of the PMA, and got to know Les Dees and his first wife Connie over the years back then,( Gulf States Distributors was a large LE distributor back in our LE days) attending different national matches, etc, I had a low number set, sold it years ago and last we heard PMA for all intents and purposes is "done", and part of another national police magazine, training group....keep the gun , shoot it, they are very good shooters...without the Redhawk it is NO longer a "set" anyway....someone just may bid on and buy the case and the paperwork of the "set", keep the one for your gun, IF it matches...............

CA357

Bearcat
Guru, the shipper matches the pistol.

So, I can carry and shoot this gun in good conscience, correct? Maybe keep the box and shipper and the box candy and sell the presentation case? Does that make sense? Or what?

I appreciate the feedback.

CA357 said:
I bought it because I want it to carry and shoot. What would you Ruger experts do in my place?

I also collect Security/Speed Sixes. After-factory commemoratives like this one are not in my interest zone, so I think it would make a dandy shooter. We kind've split hairs...A certain gun may be worth $600 if unfired, or $500 after shooting it. (Just throwing out numbers.) So that's just not enough difference to condemn this wonderful gun to eternity in a safe. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

Quit fluffy kittens footing around and go shoot it a bunch, then shoot it some more then repeat. Mine is about 35 years old and has been shot plenty and is still worth more than double what I paid for it. Of course it will be among the last dozen or so that ever leaves my hands.

stantheman86

Buckeye
Did these guns receive a little better fit and finish, to ensure they live up to the name stamped on them:)

It wouldn't be cool to have a "Police Marksmen's Association" Security Six that wasn't a tack driver

stantheman86 said:
Did these guns receive a little better fit and finish, to ensure they live up to the name stamped on them:)

It wouldn't be cool to have a "Police Marksmen's Association" Security Six that wasn't a tack driver

The Security Sixes were all made very well, and every one I've shot has been a tack driver. 8)

WAYNO.