Single six tri-tone LWAC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mlwhit03

Bearcat
Hey guys,

I have a single six lightweight tri-tone LWAC.
I inherited it from my Dad. This was my favorite pistol to shoot growing up - obviously light and comfortable @ .22. I am trying to follow up on the nuggets from his small collection. I, sadly, do not have the box! I hear they make a huge leap in value. It has the small ejector, dimpled flat gate, and greenish gold cylinder. It's in good shape.
I'm not looking at selling, but I do want to insure it properly.
I have read several threads on here from searches and they were helpful. My next step will be getting the serial # and some photos here for you.
Looking forward to your input.
Also recently added to my Rugers with an LPC and a Blackhawk 9mm/.357!
Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
The Tri-Colors are a desirable gun. They do have collector value & as such, command more money when selling. As always,,, condition is one of the big factors in determining value. You've mentioned shooting it a lot,,, and then say it's in good condition. It will help a lot for us to see good pictures of it. The cylinders of those guns are known for having chips in the notches & marks around them. That affects value. Next,,, if there are any other markings on it,,, such as an "S" in the bottom of the frame in front of the trigger guard.
The devil is in the details.
It can be as low as $300-$400 for a nice but used shooter w/o any special markings,,,, to over $1000 for a nicer one with certain markings.
Pics & serial help a lot.

greetings, and yes ,welcome to the Forum.....
Ty is spot on above, the devil IS in the details....makes all the difference in values, with this gun it is the "condition & serial number"
Looking forward to see any pictures ,will help out in your search..............
Good luck :wink:
by the way, due to the materials used in the building of this gun, careful on just what you use, and HOW you go about cleaning as that "greenish color" on the cylinder is Martin coat and some solutions, and cleaning things like steel wool ,can and will affect the guns finish...ALSO, if you intend to use ( shoot) the gun, any attempt at trying to MOVE the rear sight, you have to loosen the small allen head ,set screw, located under the top strap !!! we've seen more of these 'damaged' from trying to "tap"?? ( move) the rear sight one way or another..... :roll:

mlwhit03

Bearcat
Thanks for the info! Loading some pictures.
Serial # 201003
You will see there are a couple places where the blue has worn off and a tiny pit ir two. The cylinder does have tiny nicks in each divot.
I have not shot it in years and only keep it oiled with cloth. I must assume any rehabbing (bluing, etc) would only ruin what value there is? If it needs something I am not giving it, please let me know!
In the light of day I see what I have is likely what was mentioned before: a 'decent shooter'. Any input is appreciated as to insurance, etc.
thanks again!

mlwhit03

Bearcat
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pefo9k7nlzevs84/file%20oct%2006%2C%2011%2002%2000%20pm.jpeg?dl=0

mlwhit03

Bearcat
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6psjgrljc5lkxa/file%20oct%2006%2C%2011%2002%2028%20pm.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i30j482nqx77ywi/file%20oct%2006%2C%2011%2002%2058%20pm.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb9de21eyzt3og6/file%20oct%2006%2C%2011%2003%2027%20pm.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/581fskm9b35jxcz/file%20oct%2006%2C%2011%2003%2057%20pm.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbooa6jkjngup6s/file%20oct%2006%2C%2011%2004%2012%20pm.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iez5cvz6w01ipt8/file%20oct%2006%2C%2011%2004%2035%20pm.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/11ep7udfcl2syvw/file%20oct%2006%2C%2011%2004%2055%20pm.jpeg?dl=0

Hope these links to photos work! Thanks

very nice pictures, nice gun, and would "clean up" (detail) out quite nicely, I'd redo or replace the ejector housing, which is very simple and easy enough to do.......besides ,we like the serial number :wink:

mlwhit03

Bearcat
Great! Thanks, Dan.
What would 'detailing' include (and avoid!)?
Where would I best order an ejector housing? Ruger?
And, would anyone give me a ballpark for what amount to insure it?
Thanks again!

being the cylinder is a bit "better" than average shape,condition, as well as the cylinder frame, only questions are the housing and the overall shape of the grips frame, the grips medallions can be "touched up" and the housing can be refinished remove the pitting etc.....heck small parts like the steel housing would be easier and cheaper to redo ( properly) than trying to buy another "used" steel, old model housing, would have to "see" the entire grip frame to make a determination as to keep, do , or replace.............bottom line the gun is rally nice EXCEPT for that housing, looks like crap, and the side of the barrel could always be "touched", blended in...........MOST shops or even the factory will NOT "pull" ( remove) the barrel to blue it. asking for trouble, steel barrel , in a alloy frame......BUT it can be done, we've done them for years,been in this business since the 1960s' been there, done that.............NOW we enjoy retirement and from time to time will redo small parts for "friends and family".........for me ,your housing would be a piece of cake.............. 8)

:wink:

as for an insurance value, my questimate would be in the $750 range, possibly more....where you gonna get another one??? :roll:

mlwhit03

Bearcat
That info is all a BIG help, Dan. Thanks!
I'd love to get it touched up and looking as good as it can.
Should I look for a shop that specifically works on antiques or Rugers? How would that differ from back to the factory, and is that a good option (obviously shipping.. but I'd want the work done correctly)?
Any word on reputable shops doing this kind of work in the KY/IN area, or is that too "suggestive"? ;}
Again, thanks for the help.

I doubt the factory would even work on it, what can they do?? a "safety upgrade"??
they may replace the housing, but no telling what they would put on it, aluminum?? you can pull yours off yourself and replace it or send it out to be "refinished"...the factory willnot touch up any bluing, as they would NOT pull ( remove) the barrel, same goes for the older bearcats, steel barrels into an alloy ( aluminum ) frame, yes the all steel guns they could and would refinish......'as for a simple "touch up" of any steel parts that have bluing loss, you can use any number of "cold blue" solutions and follow the instructions, heck its even on you tube someplace I've been told.........
and the grips frame, which is aluminum alloy, may need refinishing,,,cannot tell...most folks just simply leave it alone, call it "character" and just use it.............sadly the housing is beyond "character" to me, that is PITTED, and will continue to pit if you leave it alone, so at least keep it oiled.................send me an e-mail and I can tell you MORE...............

contender

Ruger Guru
mlwhit03,,,, listen to Dan,, he knows of what he speaks.

You have a nicer gun than I imagined. I'd replace the housing as I have a few spare parts,,, but that's just me.

If I were going to insure it,,, I'd place a value of $1000 (once the housing is replaced) so that you don't have to go back in a year or two & upgrade your listing with the insurance company. By placing a slightly inflated value to items,,, you are getting ahead of the steady rise of inflation & stuff.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
mlwit03,

Between your large pixel photographs and my new iMAC I can increase magnification 500% with little degrading of images. You have an excellent gun that is filthy! As the above good advice, only the ERH and associated screw need to be replaced. Although many of us would take it completely apart, it is not necessary. Take off grips, cylinder pin out, ERH/spring/rod off and cylinder out and clean clean clean. Good gun cleaning product, soft toothbrush, wooden tooth picks, soft rag, and then good gun oil.

Yes, very nice gun!

SATCOM

radicalrod

Hunter
WOW that is a nice gun that just needs some lovin :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Heck I would just use some extra fine steel or bronze wool and some kroil....

Knock off the rust and be happy.....maybe use a toothpick and put a little black paint on the eagles...

Good luck....RR

Latest posts