New Redhawk in .41 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
I'm truly at a loss for why there was no hype and fanfare for this new addition to the 4.2" Redhawk family but I guess it befits the neglect that the .41 Magnum has always received. I for one am quite pleased with mine and had the pleasure of putting a few rounds down range this morning with it. I've had both .44 Mag and .45 Colt versions of the short Redhawk and while both were very good guns I always thought the .41 Mag would be just right. My wife may not think it possible, but I think I'm right.

The unfortunate thing is that none of these are available at present but I imagine more will trickle in. Our own "acrylictnk" (Mike) was lucky enough to snag the entire first shipment from Davidson's and promptly sold them all. I had the dumb luck to get the first one. Pretty much looks and shoots exactly like the other two I've owned with the exception that this one has the warning label on the bottom of the barrel and has the quick change front sight like the GP-100. Both are welcome changes for me and may have been around a while since I haven't looked at them for a couple years. A little load development and trigger time should have this one shooting as good as all other .41's I've owned which is superb.

Sorry for the crap picture but at least it proves they exist.

hittman

Staff member
I also really like the .41 Magnum caliber. Luckily I got the bug early and in particular only the 5.5 inch models.

Yeah, we're lucky to have a guy like Mike who always thinks of his forum buddies first and gets some pretty good stuff pretty quickly. There might be one of those "snubbies" in my future .... we'll see.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
ChiefTJS said:
I'm truly at a loss for why there was no hype and fanfare for this new addition to the 4.2" Redhawk family but I guess it befits the neglect that the .41 Magnum has always received. I for one am quite pleased with mine and had the pleasure of putting a few rounds down range this morning with it.
That gun looks so nice I bet you want to put it in a holster on your hip and walk around for a while. I know I would. :D

32magfan

Blackhawk
I do not really "need" to get one of these but need has nothing to do with it. :shock:
I have one on the way, also from our own Mike Reber, aka ACRYLICTNK. It is a good thing I don't live near Chandler, AZ. I would stay broke more than I do here in TN.

Mike is also selling me an LCR in 327. I have opined in several posts that Ruger needed to make this gun. 41 Mag is a similar deal. They don't sell by the millions but have a cult following. I like them all so I try to get the models that intrigue me.

As far as why it has not been announced more loudly, unless I am mistaken, it is a Davidson's exclusive. So it won't be a catalog item. If you want one, go to Galleryofguns.com and look it up on Gun Genie and find dealers near you that can sell it to you. It's a pretty easy process. The guns are not in stock the last time I looked so you will need to be patient.

I had a 7" 41 Mag as well as a 5" 357 Mag but I traded them both away a couple of years ago. The 357 with 8 shots, not 6 would be a no-brainer. Any of you distributors listening????

Thanks,

32Magfan

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
I had a 5.5" in .357 many years ago and have missed it on occasion, truly the most overbuilt gun I've ever owned. I don't "need" the one I bought either but it's nice having a Redhawk in the house again and since it's my fiftieth birthday gift to myself I intend to keep it.

ko41

Bearcat
I've had a little time to play with my new 4.2 inch .41 Magnum Redhawk. It is as accurate as you would expect any .41 Magnum to be. Despite the horrible out of the box 8lb 9oz trigger pull, I was able to keep 12 rounds in about 6 inches from 25 yards offhand. With a little use, smoothing, lube and a spring change the trigger pull is now a pretty consistent 5lb 3oz.

redhawks_x4_zpss8bryr7r.jpg

redhawks_04x_zps4fgke9eh.jpg

KO

ko41

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
ko41 is that a 'Nill' grip on your new 4.2" Redhawk? Looks very nice. :D

Yes it is a Nill, the Redhawk came with Hogue Bantam grip.
The Nills grip is a more comfortable fit for me than the Hogue was, the way the gun recoiled with the Hogue grip really stung my trigger finger.

KO

ko41

Bearcat
Trigger pull is getting better with use, it is now a little under 5lbs.

redhawk4_trgt_zps7fiopl9j.jpg

KO

tinman

Buckeye
At one time the .41 was determined to be the best caliber for police work. But, since the public never really got onboard, it languished while the much touted .357 thrived. The .41 (like the 10mm) found little interest from the general population so pretty much just faded away. Sad really as it is a solid performer. :cry:

tinman said:
At one time the .41 was determined to be the best caliber for police work. But, since the public never really got onboard, it languished while the much touted .357 thrived. The .41 (like the 10mm) found little interest from the general population so pretty much just faded away. Sad really as it is a solid performer. :cry:

I think the thing that may have contributed to its never really catching on is that there was never an official 41 Special ammo produced (that I'm aware of) that afforded cheaper practice ammo. Sure handloaders can easily do it. But I'm sure when the average Jimmy comes into a store, and sees a revolver in a Magnum only caliber, and the price of ammo is more than the 44 Mag and 357 Mag, it's a hard to justify getting a 41 Mag.

Groo

Bearcat
ChiefTJS said:
I'm truly at a loss for why there was no hype and fanfare for this new addition to the 4.2" Redhawk family but I guess it befits the neglect that the .41 Magnum has always received. I for one am quite pleased with mine and had the pleasure of putting a few rounds down range this morning with it. I've had both .44 Mag and .45 Colt versions of the short Redhawk and while both were very good guns I always thought the .41 Mag would be just right. My wife may not think it possible, but I think I'm right.

The unfortunate thing is that none of these are available at present but I imagine more will trickle in. Our own "acrylictnk" (Mike) was lucky enough to snag the entire first shipment from Davidson's and promptly sold them all. I had the dumb luck to get the first one. Pretty much looks and shoots exactly like the other two I've owned with the exception that this one has the warning label on the bottom of the barrel and has the quick change front sight like the GP-100. Both are welcome changes for me and may have been around a while since I haven't looked at them for a couple years. A little load development and trigger time should have this one shooting as good as all other .41's I've owned which is superb.

Sorry for the crap picture but at least it proves they exist.

Groo here
As this is a Davison special Is it a round but frame???
If so ---- GROO WANT BADDDDDDDDDDD...

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
I love the .41 maggies(so much so, I just bought a 265 gr mold for mine) but, if I buy one more, I'll need a place to live? I see you've been to the East. Stay on the square, brother.
Ruger_41.jpg

1841041.jpg

Steve

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
ko41 , that is some fine shooting there friend! That same load shoots great in my three .41's also and will be the first loads shot through my new RedHawk 4" pretty soon. I love the way SWC bullets cut clean holes .

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I picked mine up this morning and am pleased to find a very nicely fitted and finished revolver I have not slugged the throats but three different bullets,Berry's plated 210 gr. , Lyman 215 gr Kieth cast and a 210 gr. Hunter cast bullet ,none will push into the throats from the front but all three bullets in loaded rounds chamber easily. We will see how the shooting goes next week.

Latest posts