New Dan Wesson Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
What do you think of the new Dan Wesson .357 revolver? It has some of the classic old features with some new ones. I almost bought one years ago with three barrels but was afraid I could not get service or parts if something went wrong. Seems that might have changed now with CZ stepping up to bat with them.

http://cz-usa.com/product/dan-wesson-715-revolver-cal-357-magnum-stainless/

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=01932

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/02/jeremy-s/gun-review-dan-wesson-715/

32magfan

Blackhawk
Reading everything I could find online was pretty frustrating. I also saw that the small frame model in 22, 32mag, 32-20, etc. were listed in Guns 2016 special Buyer's Guide. These are not known to be inclusive of all the models and sometimes they have stuff that ends up not coming to full production.

I would want to buy these in the 32's (no surprise there).

I am not holding my breath...

32Magfan

Dan in MI

Staff member
If the new ones are anything like the old ones then I definitely like them.

32magfan said:
I would want to buy these in the 32's (no surprise there).

I am not holding my breath...

32Magfan

Have you ruled out old ones?

There are two on GB now. here's one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=510748483

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have had a DW 15 (357) and still have a DW 744 (44 mag). Both guns are the most accurate guns I have shot in those calibers. I have a 722 on my want to buy list if I ever get the chance. DW's are the smoothest guns that I have ever handled. If the new CZ's are anything like the older Monson guns you can't go wrong!

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
Yes, I too like the New Dan Wesson revolvers and hope they can make a go of it. I thought the old ones were accurate and built tough. Glad they are back.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Is anyone surprised at the price for these new beauties? The question always comes up about whether a manufacturer can bring out a new version of an old classic and make money. The Colt Python is a current example that is selling for over $2000- 3000. Many have estimated that the price would be over $4000 for a new version that would equal the old one.

Gunbroker has lots of vintage DW 715s almost all the time. Their price is usually sub $1000 down to $600.

Let's say for argument's sake that the new DWs are as good as the old ones.

The new Dan Wessons 715 are over $1200 and up. Why would anyone buy a new one when the original is less money and already has vintage status? ??????

I am a real Dan Wesson fan and I hope CZ succeeds. Maybe there's enough folks out there that just buy NEW.

I can get these Dan Wesson revolvers for 800- 1000.

I may do it just to see how they are...

I agree, it's sad that Colt Snake Guns are upwards of $3000 now. :-(

I could buy those for $600 each at one point in time. (Before my time) now they are just mythical legends. I can't even recall seeing one in real life.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Been there and done that...30 odd yrs ago...but it would be nice to see them available again for those that would like to try them.

This is the second time that CZ has said they were going to produce them...their plan never came to fruition, the first time around.

Jim Luke said:
Been there and done that...30 odd yrs ago...but it would be nice to see them available again for those that would like to try them.

This is the second time that CZ has said they were going to produce them...their plan never came to fruition, the first time around.

Damn shame really...

Jim Puke

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Jim Luke said:

Damn shame really...

Maybe...just maybe, it will happen this time.

I have not checked to see exactly what they are talking about offering...but it would be cool to see the pistol packs offered again. In the early 80's, I had a 5 barrel pack...it was neat to have a "suitcase" full of guns, without all of the investment that would normally require. I sold it for the "PRINCELY" sum of $700 in 1990...a woman drove 100 miles to buy it for a birthday present for her husband. It would probably be worth more than twice that now...but that was 25yrs ago, so it should be worth more, now.

Sea bass

Bearcat
I have one of the new DW 715s and I really like it. I think I like it better than my S&W PC 327R8. I bought it used but unfired for $800 plus tax. The gun store where I bought it sold it new for an even thousand. I use a Galco holster designed for a 6 in N frame for the 715. I used to use it with the R8 but now use a safariland holster for the R8. The DW fits the Galco perfectly.

As for the 715, both the SA and DA triggers are good. The heavy underlug on the barrel shroud really soaks up recoil. If you're on the fence about getting one, don't be. Get it, you'll really like it. The craftsmanship and quality are top notch, even if mine was a blemish gun, though that paperwork was not included so I don't know. Even if mine was I can't find anything wrong with it and am extremely happy.

SB

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Jim Luke said:

I have not checked to see exactly what they are talking about offering...but it would be cool to see the pistol packs offered again. In the early 80's, I had a 5 barrel pack...it was neat to have a "suitcase" full of guns, without all of the investment that would normally require. I sold it for the "PRINCELY" sum of $700 in 1990...a woman drove 100 miles to buy it for a birthday present for her husband. It would probably be worth more than twice that now...but that was 25yrs ago, so it should be worth more, now.
This link has a picture of the gun case and a lot of pics of the gun.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
Jim Luke said:

This link has a picture of the gun case and a lot of pics of the gun.

Cool!

Thanks, Jimbo...Are you getting one?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Jim Luke said:
Cool!

Thanks, Jimbo...Are you getting one?
No plans at present. I still think about the one that got away though. It was very reasonably priced but it was having light primer hits and misfires.

I do notice these new guns look very slab-sided. Were the old ones that square? :D

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Great info on the prices of the new Dan Wessons 715. You guys have real world data and I only had GunBroker.

I'm wondering about the Blem (Blemishes) for under a $1000. Many of the new ones I've seen are sold as Blems. Does anyone have a clue what this is about? I don't recall ever seeing a Manufacturer selling a brand new line of guns as Blems.

????

smith1961

Blackhawk
Had a nice 744 VH pistol pak......Bought it new in 1983 for just over $400 IIRC. Sold it later to a buddy for $400 even. He just laughs every time I ask him to sell it back............

Three44s

Single-Sixer
I walked into a shop one day .............

......... (sound familiar? ..... LOL!) ...........

AND ....... there ............ right there ........... a DW 41 ........... excellent shape ...... I mean ......... like new!

...... and reasonable ........ I mean ..... 265 dollars reasonable ........

I pondered and I bought!

But two .41's followed me home that day ......... both consignments and from the same source ....... a Smith in 8 3/8's ..... 57-1 ........... the Dan a blued 6 inch.

The Smith was a bit more money but still well priced!

My Dan is a Monson BTW!

Yes, life is good!

Later, a friend offered me another Monson ........ this time a blued 6in in .22 LR ....... not pristine like the .41 but I figured you are not that lucky too many times in one lifetime ......... it makes a good trainer to go along with the bigger gun.

Two things bothered me about the .41 Monson ........ it came with a full underlug ....... too front end heavy for my tastes and the single action trigger upon breaking ...... yanked forward ....... a local gunsmith told me to remove the grip and hose the action with gun scrubber ........

I did and then re-lubed ....... and no more yank and even more to my surprise .........

........ The best single action bar none that I own!

I mean STELLAR!

I may just sell (someday) that "57" Smith ......... but never ..... NEVER the Dans!

I did blow one thing about the .22 Monson ....... at the time when I acquired it I enquired about a spare cylinder .......... so I 'd have a .22 mag option ...... CZ still had them for $90 and they asked the shop if one could fire the .22 Mag. in a standard barrel .... they said yes! I don't know if they were blowing smoke but they insisted it would be safe ..... well, I let that opportunity slip away so it's moot now.

Best regards

Three 44s