• I COULD CARE LESS!

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • YES! Stainless frame like the 38 and 9mm

Votes: 9 11.4%

• Total voters

sharpshooter33

Bearcat
Ok let's do a poll.
Those in favor of a LCR in 380 choose either the light 22 aluminum frame or the stainless frame of the 9mm.
I personally since it's a 380 would like to see the Stainless frame since it would also reduce recoil for recoil sensitive shooters.
If you don't want a LCR in 380 vote No.
and if 380 has absolutely no interest choose don't care.
GL and happy voting. :lol:

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I'm not a big fan of pistol calibers in revolvers, but I do like when Ruger expands their product lines regardless of whether they suit my needs or not.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I guess the .380 and 9mm use the same barrel as the 38 special. It would be a very light kicking self defense gun but none too accurate I surmise. :D

ADP3

Single-Sixer
If you want light go with .32 acp. It's semi-rimmed so you don't need moon clips, but you could still use them, and you could get six rounds into a frame size that would only accommodate five .380 rounds. I'd rather see the SP101 brought back in 9mm than any other auto round in a revolver configuration.

Best Regards,
ADP3

sharpshooter33

Bearcat
The moon clips are a good thing. For novice loaders they are so simple. You drop the whole thing in and your loaded and ready to go. It's K.I.S.S. shoot 5 dump. load 5, shoot. No slide to pull back, no magazines to load. easy to check for loaded gun. My sister is sold on the lite revolver, but she's a "big girl" and wants a "big girl" cartridge.....not a 22lr or 22mag :lol:
380 is available in defense loads and easy to find vs 32 or now a days the 22lr or 22mag.

Picture 69 year old woman.... Do you see her shooting a 38spl? or even shooting a 9mm pistol and doing clearing drills?

Anybody have anyone in there family that could use a lighter recoil defense gun?

sharpshooter33 said:
The moon clips are a good thing. For novice loaders they are so simple. You drop the whole thing in and your loaded and ready to go. It's K.I.S.S. shoot 5 dump. load 5, shoot. No slide to pull back, no magazines to load. easy to check for loaded gun. My sister is sold on the lite revolver, but she's a "big girl" and wants a "big girl" cartridge.....not a 22lr or 22mag :lol:
380 is available in defense loads and easy to find vs 32 or now a days the 22lr or 22mag.

Picture 69 year old woman.... Do you see her shooting a 38spl? or even shooting a 9mm pistol and doing clearing drills?

Anybody have anyone in there family that could use a lighter recoil defense gun?

Can you picture a 69 year old woman snapping cartridges into a moon clip? Even here, there is no free ride.

Where do we draw the line? If one must use a light-recoiling cartridge, then I think the .22 Mag just might be a great compromise of effectiveness vs light recoil. That or a .32 S&W Long.

WAYNO.

sharpshooter33

Bearcat
WAYNO
Moon clips are easy.
Check out the LCR 9mm moon clips. They have come a long way with the spring steal. I have used them. She can do those.
I agree with a 22 mag. I just can't convince her.
Besides the 380 is a good SD round and believe it or not you can find it easier than 22 mag right now.
WAYNO said:
sharpshooter33 said:

Can you picture a 69 year old woman snapping cartridges into a moon clip? Even here, there is no free ride.

Where do we draw the line? If one must use a light-recoiling cartridge, then I think the .22 Mag just might be a great compromise of effectiveness vs light recoil. That or a .32 S&W Long.

WAYNO.

sharpshooter33 said:
WAYNO
Moon clips are easy.
Check out the LCR 9mm moon clips. They have come a long way with the spring steal. I have used them. She can do those.
I agree with a 22 mag. I just can't convince her.
Besides the 380 is a good SD round and believe it or not you can find it easier than 22 mag right now.
WAYNO said:
sharpshooter33 said:

WAYNO.

Then your mind is already made up. Good luck. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

dixie884

Blackhawk
Yes, I think it is a good idea. It wouldn't cost too much to offer it, as a rechamber is all that would be needed.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
WAYNO said:
sharpshooter33 said:

WAYNO.

Agree on the .22 mag, but not just any .22mag. The Hornady 45 grn CD is nearly equivalent to a .380 in terms of terminal ballistics, and is designed for short barrel sidearms. Most .22mag is designed for rifles.

critical-defense-compare-22wmr-380auto.jpg

sharpshooter33

Bearcat
YES I SAW THESE!!!!
That was my 1st choice for her!
She wants something "bigger" than 22.
I tried and tried to convince her. Sent her some videos of the 22MAG Hornady CD ammo.
She is stuburn.
A sweet little 22 Mag would have been perfect IMHO.
So that is when I got stuck with the 380.
She wants a big girl gun.
Hate to tell her the 380 isn't a big girl gun, but anyway it's what she perceives the 380 vs 22mag.
She sees the 380 as a SD round and the 22 as what her brothers hunted squirrels with growing up.

GunnyGene said:
WAYNO said:
sharpshooter33 said:

WAYNO.

Agree on the .22 mag, but not just any .22mag. The Hornady 45 grn CD is nearly equivalent to a .380 in terms of terminal ballistics, and is designed for short barrel sidearms. Most .22mag is designed for rifles.

critical-defense-compare-22wmr-380auto.jpg

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
sharpshooter33 said:
YES I SAW THESE!!!!
I tried and tried to convince her. Sent her some videos of the 22MAG Hornady CD ammo.
She is stuburn.
Hate to tell her the 380 isn't a big girl gun, but anyway it's what she perceives the 380 vs 22mag.
She sees the 380 as a SD round and the 22 as what her brothers hunted squirrels with growing up.

So prove it to her. Set up a "box o'truth" out in the back yard, or someplace you can shoot other than a range.

Put a .380 and a .22mag with the Hornady CD in her hand and have her shoot both and compare the results.

Just a thought, but many people think a .380 is the same as .38spc. Which it ain't of course.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Would rather see a 3" version chambered 32 S&W Long. This would be a great range plinker/casual target gun.

sharpshooter33

Bearcat
I would Gunny but don't have a 22 mag. Would have to buy one.
I just dropped $$ for a LCR 22 for myself n my wife to plink with.
I may try to get her to shoot it against one of my 380s and talk my ass off.
That would solve my problem if she went that route, but I still see the 380 with moon clips as a good choice or market.
Most of the ppl I've seen shooting moon clips for any length of time love them for reloading/loading. This would be an advantage over the 22 mag with speedloaders, this is a great idea for those that don't want a "loaded" gun at the house who have problems with pistol handling
They could have the loaded moon clip like a speedloaders sitting on the night stand and just drop it n and go.
GunnyGene said:
sharpshooter33 said:
YES I SAW THESE!!!!
She is stuburn.

So prove it to her. Set up a "box o'truth" out in the back yard, or someplace you can shoot other than a range.

Put a .380 and a .22mag with the Hornady CD in her hand and have her shoot both and compare the results.

Just a thought, but many people think a .380 is the same as .38spc. Which it ain't of course.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
sharpshooter33 said:
I would Gunny but don't have a 22 mag. Would have to buy one.
I just dropped $$ for a LCR 22 for myself n my wife to plink with.
I may try to get her to shoot it against one of my 380s and talk my ass off.
That would solve my problem if she went that route, but I still see the 380 with moon clips as a good choice or market.
Most of the ppl I've seen shooting moon clips for any length of time love them for reloading/loading. This would be an advantage over the 22 mag with speedloaders, this is a great idea for those that don't want a "loaded" gun at the house who have problems with pistol handling
They could have the loaded moon clip like a speedloaders sitting on the night stand and just drop it n and go.
GunnyGene said:
sharpshooter33 said:
YES I SAW THESE!!!!
She is stuburn.

Well, good luck however it works out. My wife (same age as your sister) has changed her mind on more than one handgun since she got her first. She's had to downsize a couple times from a S&W Model 60 .357/.38, due to arthritis, and now has trouble with a Sig 1911-22. I suspect in a couple more years shooting anything will be out of the picture for her. :(