Votes: 8 10.1%
  • I COULD CARE LESS!

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • YES! Stainless frame like the 38 and 9mm

Votes: 9 11.4%

• Total voters

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Can't see any point to it. A more complex route to reinvent a mild .38spl. In particular the Critical Defense lite ( from actual 2in revolvers ) duplicates .380 ballistics.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Biggfoot44 said:
Can't see any point to it. A more complex route to reinvent a mild .38spl. In particular the Critical Defense lite ( from actual 2in revolvers ) duplicates .380 ballistics.

For some folks with arthritis, it's not always recoil that's the problem. It can be racking a slide, cocking a hammer, pulling the trigger on a DA only revolver, or some combination of those issues. Finger strength can deteriorate quickly as well as cause a lot of pain.

I agree with some of the others here - a milder loaded 9mm or 38Spl will do at least as well or better than the 380. And, if recoil is really so big a deal that even those are too much, the 22Mag is a better bet.
I'd be more keen on the 32Mag/327Mag LCR myself, particularly in a 3" LCRx configuration with adjustable sights for a kit gun.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
The poll options aren't complete - the only "no" option implies that the .380auto is the reason to vote against an LCR-380.

I love the .380acp, hate the idea of an LCR-380, but there's no option for me to vote "no" that reflects that.

Like Wayno mentioned - your mind is already made up. Moon clips can be a disaster, but you're obviously a fan. Novices are more prone to have issues where they do partial reloads - which is complicated in a moon clip compared to a rimmed cartridge revolver.

The point is really moot - what are you trying to do with a .380acp LCR other than reduce recoil? There are already solutions for that - solutions that are more versatile! An LCR-38 or LCR-357 can shoot Hornady Critical Defense Lite ammo that is just as mild as .380auto, but retain the ability to run up to full house rounds - making it more versatile and more easily resaleable if you ever got rid of it. The LCR-9 can also run Hornady Critical Defense lite rounds that match the .380acp. Any reloader can produce equivalent rounds as well (I run a 93grn Meister LRN over 4.0grn of Bullseye in 38spcl cases).

For the same bullet, the Hornady critical defense 380acp is ~80cents per shot, the Hornady Critical defense LITE loads for 38 and 9mm are 82 and 86center per shot. Powder cost differential for any of the 3 in reduced loads will be minimal, not worth talking about on a bottom line. But it DOES, however, take away the opportunity to shoot far less expensive factory ammo. If a person owns a 38/357 or 9mm LCR, they can find factory ammo that is far cheaper to shoot than the 380acp factory ammo.

The only reasonable argument I could believe, although not agree with, would be that you only owned handguns chambered in 380auto, so you could use the same ammunition in multiple handguns, reducing total ammunition inventory cost. BUT, it doesn't take much inventory for expensive 380acp ammo to make up the difference against cheaper 9mm or 38 ammo.

The LCR-380 is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
Biggfoot44 said:

For some folks with arthritis, it's not always recoil that's the problem. It can be racking a slide, cocking a hammer, pulling the trigger on a DA only revolver, or some combination of those issues. Finger strength can deteriorate quickly as well as cause a lot of pain.

And your point is....?

A 380acp LCR has the same DAO trigger that an LCR in 38spcl or 9mm has. The crane release button would take the same pressure, the extractor plunger would take the same pressure... There ya go, all of the manual of arms would be exactly the same for an LCR-380 as an LCR-38 or 357 or 9 (or 22 LR and WMR for that matter). So the only real difference would be recoil.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Varminterror said:
GunnyGene said:
Biggfoot44 said:

And your point is....?

A 380acp LCR has the same DAO trigger that an LCR in 38spcl or 9mm has. The crane release button would take the same pressure, the extractor plunger would take the same pressure... There ya go, all of the manual of arms would be exactly the same for an LCR-380 as an LCR-38 or 357 or 9 (or 22 LR and WMR for that matter). So the only real difference would be recoil.

No point. Merely an observation that would apply to any firearm.

sharpshooter33

Bearcat
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/162940_Revolver_in_380_good_self_defense_gun_for_novices__women__recoil_sensitive____VOTE.html&page=2

sharpshooter33

Bearcat
Yup why reinvent the wheel. Not like the best revolver shooter n the world would do it lol. Bad boy! No moon clips or acp cartridges for you lol.
https://youtu.be/0FbUMqoyjDw

sharpshooter33

Bearcat
Now. My sister wants a gun she can sit by her bed unloaded but ready to go. Picking up a moon clip and dropping it n is the fastest and easiest route. Followed by speedloaders n rim cartridges. Pistol is loser because it requires charging after inserting mag and also clearing after.
Next it will ride n a handbag when she travels. Loaded. So hammerless would be nice,but they are all about the same here except when she arrives unloading again the moon clip wins. Take it out sit it down done.

Now second issue. Recoil. I haven't fired a 38 in years since our department went to semiautos. As I remember they had more kick than 9mm. This would make them a loser along with 9mm n the revolver due to more recoil than she already is trying to handle n her pistol.

However on that note there is critical defense n other reduced loads so I may have an old bias there.

So....
I've heard all your input and I've seen the votes.if I do go with a 380 it will be the Taurus M380 revolver since it is the only one offered.
I may try a 9mm Revolver with reduced loads and a 38 with reduced loads to see if she(the one that is going to use it) wants to give on her demands.

Again guys I enjoyed your input and feel free to continue to debate, but I am working on her guidelines not mine. I simply try to show her her options.
I personally carry a SW shield 9mm and be done with it.
But since doing the research for her, my interest has lead me to purchase a LCR 22 and I will probably purchase a 9mm revolver n the future. I see no reason to add another caliber to my collection. But I have rekindled an interest for me n revolvers

FergusonTO35

Hunter
ADP3 said:
If you want light go with .32 acp. It's semi-rimmed so you don't need moon clips, but you could still use them, and you could get six rounds into a frame size that would only accommodate five .380 rounds.

My thoughts exactly. My Glock 42 has me well covered in the .380 department. One less round in a wider gun with a longer trigger pull, no thanks. Now, six rounds of .32 Magnum in the LCRX, sign me up!!

I wouldn't discount the LCR with eight rounds of CCI Mini Mag or Stinger on board. I think that would be very preferable to the Taurus .380 revolver with five rounds, heavier trigger, and less than stellar Taurus QC.

sharpshooter33

Bearcat
FergusonTO35 said:
ADP3 said:
I wouldn't discount the LCR with eight rounds of CCI Mini Mag or Stinger on board. I think that would be very preferable to the Taurus .380 revolver with five rounds, heavier trigger, and less than stellar Taurus QC.
LCR 22 has a heavier trigger pull than the Taurus because of the rimmed primer. I know I have one. Trigger pull on the LCR 22lr and 22mag is worse than the LCR(add centerfire cartridge here)

sharpshooter33

Bearcat
Well looks like 19% say yes on the 380 and 41% no. Wonder how that would compare to other calibers?
BTW for those who said 22 Mag. I found a problem there. The trigger pull on the rimfire LCRs is HORRIBLE. 380 would win that one hands down. So 380 would be a better choice than the 22 Mag for a shooter that has trigger pull issues.

Pulling the trigger on the LCR 38 and 9mm compared to my 22lr is like night and day.

eveled

Hawkeye
sharpshooter33 said:
Now. My sister wants a gun she can sit by her bed unloaded but ready to go. Picking up a moon clip and dropping it n is the fastest and easiest route. Followed by speedloaders n rim cartridges. Pistol is loser because it requires charging after inserting mag and also clearing after.

Have you considered a Beretta 86fs? With it's tip up barrel. They are perfect for somebody like your sister.

To bad you can't use .380 in a 9mm revolver cut for moon clips.

sharpshooter33

Bearcat
my wife and my sister both want one.
Only thing out there right now is the Taurus M380 and it has to have trigger work to even be in the ball park.
I'm hoping Ruger announces one before xmas. If they did, I'd have 2 xmas gifts already picked out
:lol:
Big Old Boy said:
And the trigger pull is why my wife would like a lcr 380.