Hi-Viz versus Meprolite on an SP101?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DukeMinski

Bearcat
Anyone have any experience with Hiviz vs Meprolite fiber optic front sights on SP101's?
Would like to upgrade the factory front sight to something more visible.

Rob72

Bearcat
DukeMinski said:
Anyone have any experience with Hiviz vs Meprolite fiber optic front sights on SP101's?
Would like to upgrade the factory front sight to something more visible.
Short answer: no. :wink: But, I have used both on them on a wide range of other pistols, revolvers and shotguns. Personally, for the money, I would take some Testors model paint (your choice, I like gloss white or fluorescent yellow) and some 5 minute 2 ton epoxy. Degrease the front blade and mix up a nickle-sized drop of epoxy. Using a toothpick or matchstick, add 1-2 drops of model paint, and mix into the epoxy. Apply delicately to avoid dripping or spillage and allow to dry overnight.

This mix is pretty darn impact-resistant and resistant to oils and non-TCE cleaners. Total investment is ~$7.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I have Meprolite night sights on two pistols, and I like them a lot. They have crisp edges and were an improvement over the factory sights regardless of lighting. I used to have a Hi-Viz fiber optic on a Ruger P91, but lost the element after about a year of hard use, and that left kind of a bad taste in my mouth for that brand. But since an SP front sight doesn't get slammed back and forth with slide movement, it may be just fine, but Mepros are my go-to sights for personal defense handguns and my Mossberg 590.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
noahmercy said:
I have Meprolite night sights on two pistols, and I like them a lot. They have crisp edges and were an improvement over the factory sights regardless of lighting. I used to have a Hi-Viz fiber optic on a Ruger P91, but lost the element after about a year of hard use, and that left kind of a bad taste in my mouth for that brand. But since an SP front sight doesn't get slammed back and forth with slide movement, it may be just fine, but Mepros are my go-to sights for personal defense handguns and my Mossberg 590.

I carry a 3" SP every day (going on 6 years), and been thinking either Mepro or XS for the last couple of years. How friendly is the Mepro sight enclosure to leather? And, I assume it's "user drill the pilot hole for the pin"?

jd

DukeMinski

Bearcat
Thanks everyone for the input.

Rob72:
I actually have two SP101's in .357 . . . a SA/DA and a DAO.
I painted the front sight on the SA/DA last week-end (Testor's flourescent orange) and took it to the range last night. Initial results are very promising.
MUCH easier to acquire the front sight and maintain a good (well...ok...decent) sight picture.
The real test will come next weekend when my GF shoots it. It is going to be her gun and the real test will be whether or not she likes the painted sight.

Hadn't heard about the epoxy trick. If the Testor's enamel doesn't hold up well, I may steal that idea from you.

Mr Surveyor;
I think you are correct. HiViz, MeproLite, and XS sights look like they require drilling.
However, I did come across Gemini Customs and they sell a front sight for the SP101 that is pre-drilled.
It does cost a little more to get the pre-drilled version.

DukeMinski

Bearcat
UPDATE:
So took the SA/DA SP101 to the range so the GF could shoot it next to her 3" SP101 (in .327 Fed Mag) with the stock factory sights.
She shot the .327 first, then she tried the SA/DA SP101 with the painted front sight.
Her initial comments were "Meh, not much difference."

BUT THEN . . .
. . . we did a 'dominant eye' exercise and worked on her sight picture . . .
. . . AND HER GROUPS IMMEDIATELY IMPROVED!

Then she started to notice how the painted front sight DID make it easier acquire the target and shoot tighter groups.

So now she wants me to paint the front sight on the .327 SP101 that is her EDC.
Oh...and she wants an SP101 in .357 with a 3" or 4" barrel for her NSG.

Another thing; Both the SA/DA SP101 and the 3" SP101 in .327 Fed Mag have Hogue monogrips.

So I have multiple issues going on here:
*She never had anyone explain dominant eye/sight picture concepts to her before now.
*Hogue monogrips fit her hand much better than the Ruger factory grips.
*Painted front sight improved target acquisition/sight picture.

All together, she is much more comfortable with the guns and her shooting!
Good progress!

hittman

Staff member
I had this on my SP101. Was a good choice for me.

https://www.geminicustoms.com/products-page/small-wonder-sp101-sight-fiber-optic-14k-gold-bead/

https://www.geminicustoms.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Small-Wonder-SP101-Red-or-Green-Fiber-Optic-Sight.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
I have quite a few sets of Hi-Viz sights & truly enjoy them. I've never tried the Meprolights, but they should be good too. All 5 of our SP-101's wear the Hi-Viz though.

Latest posts