LCR 327

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Today I see Ruger has released a new 327 only 4 weeks after I bought my wife a 22 mag. well now I need to trade up.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
Oh wow my wife will kill me .... Unless i can find some pink grips !!!!!! ;-)

JustsayMo

Single-Sixer
I am very pleased to see this. Great caliber for this gun. May have to sell my LCR to buy this one...

Now if it was the 3" LCRx in this caliber, I'd already have the credit card out.

howl

Bearcat
Never thought I'd see it. That's why I got that 432PD earlier this year. Always thought the LCR was a little too big for the pocket, too. Decisions, decisions...

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but adding a hammer or lengthening the barrel is kinda pointless. As a snub, it's just a .32H&R that can handle .327s. That's great. If you want to use .327s all the time, though, you want at least a 4" barrel to get full performance. AND you probably also want the extra weight of the SP101 to handle the recoil.

The .327 really is a magnum. I do see they sell some .357s, though, so... I hope they make all the variations to suit everyone!

louiethelump

Buckeye
I have been waiting for this! Anyone know who generally gets new Ruger models first? I see it is a steel frame so it is a 6 shot magnum.

howl: a small 357 magnum revolver (under 4") is also a 38 that can handle 357's. Shot mostly with 38 specials. I have been VERY impressed with the ballistics of the 327 and I think it is comparable to 357 here in the south where game is small and those that may need to be shot are wearing thin clothing.

I have just about cleaned out my 357 guns and gone to all 327 in the last few years. Cheaper to load (less powder, cast bullets are cheaper) and super versatile. All of my guns work fine with 32 acp that I have old boxes of laying about for plinking. The BBTI guy got 1378 FPS out of a Bond Derringer (which I have one of) with 3" barrel but only a little over 1000 out of a 2" barrel so you do have a point on ballistics. Of course that was a 2" Contender barrel so that included the round of ammo and only about an inch of barrel beyond that. I suspect the 2" revolver will perform more like the Bond.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Once again Ruger has foiled my plan to reduce my credit card balance. I am a big fan of the .327 Fed Mag round and an LCR in .327 is at the top of my list.

Cordite

Cordite

Single-Sixer
louiethelump said:
The BBTI guy got 1378 FPS out of a Bond Derringer (which I have one of) with 3" barrel but only a little over 1000 out of a 2" barrel so you do have a point on ballistics. Of course that was a 2" Contender barrel so that included the round of ammo and only about an inch of barrel beyond that. I suspect the 2" revolver will perform more like the Bond.

I will bet that Jeff Quinn has a video review of one already done. Hopefully he has chrono'ed some common ammo through it so we can see the effect of the short barrel.

Cordite

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Big Old Boy said:
Today I see Ruger has released a new 327 only 4 weeks after I bought my wife a 22 mag. well now I need to trade up.
I did the same thing. Would've bought the 327 instead of the .22 wmr had I known. :x

magpouch

Single-Sixer
Oh brother. Anyone know where a guy can get one? I have a S.E.R.I.O.U.S. love affair with the .327 mag.

mag318

Bearcat
Upon getting the email from Ruger about this new offering I went right to my dealer and ordered one. I think this is the perfect chambering for the LCR. Many companies are offering excellent loads in both 327 Magnum and 32 H&R Magnum, and now demand for said ammo will really take off. My hat is off to Ruger for listening to it's customers, I for one have written Ruger several times requesting they chamber the LCR in 327, and now it's a reality. Can't wait to get mine and post a range report.

RugerRover

Bearcat
I have a couple of concerns about a LCR in this caliber, at least with a 1.875" barrel: its going to have a lot of blast, yet not get much of the potential out of the round. And at 19 ounces, it is going to have a lot of recoil. (I have a Mdl 432 in .32 H&R Mag that weighs the same and can be a handful to shoot in that caliber).

We can infer this from two published items: 1) Ruger's statement that the 4" SP101 gets a lot more out of the .327 Fed Mag round than the now-out-of-production 3" SP101. And 2) Data on Buffalo Bore's web page where they show, for a hot .327 Fed Mag 100 grain round they load, a 150 fps drop off when the test barrel goes from 5.5" to 3". It's not unrealistic to think the 1.875 barrel gets something more than 100 fps less velocity than the SP101 with the 3" barrel, but it could be worse.

So only testing will show the cost, but I would have liked to see the .327 Fed Mag LCR with a 3" barrel. That would fill the niche left by the end of production of the 3" SP101 in .327.

But, this is a good offering by Ruger. And the .327 Fed Mag and the .32 H&R make a nice pair to reload.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
RugerRover... I agree that the LCR in 327 is going to have recoil and blast with full power 327 loads but isn't this the same situation as any snubby in .357 Magnum that have been selling pretty well for years? The LCR has an advantage, IMHO, in that it has the recoil absorbing grip that a traditional steel frame / wood grip snub does not.

My brother has an LCR in .357 and I find it fairly snappy to shoot but still controllable with full power loads. I expect the .327 version to be similar in felt recoil and blast.
Maybe .357 LCR owners can add more based on their experiences?

I also agree that the short barrel will incur some kind of performance penalty compared to the longer SP-101 barrels but it may not be that bad given that the round was developed for a short barreled revolver in the first place. Performance testing will tell the tale.

As you might be able to tell I am a fan of the LCR in .327 and will be buying one asap.

Cordite

sharpshooter33

Bearcat
Big Old Boy said:
what state are you in...I might be interested in the 22 mag 8)

Also I'm a noob to the 327, but can you also shoot the 32HR and 32Long in it? Recoil of the 327 would be too much for my wife.

I'm waiting on them to release a LCR in 380 with moon clips. Makes it super simple for her to load and have ammo available for CCW

Big Old Boy said:
Oh boy! Now I, or someone, will have to request it be added to the Maryland Approved list. It will take at least 60 days, as the Board doesn't meet till next month, then there is another month 'waiting period' in case some one has issues. Just went through these same 'hoops' to get the stainless and blued Bearcat w/sights approved.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
I have a lady friend that was looking at the LCR in 38 but it's a little too much for her recoil wise, this might be the perfect upgrade from her 22mag revolver.