Has anybody else noticed thier tastes in guns change?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Over the years I, like many of you, have seen my collection evolve into the masterpiece it is today, but also recognise the possibility for growth and expansion into the future.

My love for old classic military rifles developed early and evolved into the desire for more modern sporting rifles and modern bolt actions, just as an example.

The same could be said for revolvers.

I used to have an obsession with long barrel (7.5 inch and greater) revolvers. But I notice myself really enjoying the 4-6 inch models lately.

One of my "funnest" revolvers seems to be the GP100 MC. It seems very accurate with everything I run through it.

In addition to this, I used to be hardcore .357 mag. & .44 mag. ONLY, but I find myself expanding out into other calibers as well. For example, I shot a buddies blackhawk earlier this week chambered in 45LC. I freakin loved it. (Now I see what you .45 guys have been talkin about!) lol

May even try a .480 or the new SBH Bisley 454.

I'll just need a good lever action rifle to match!

Has any of us out there experienced anything similar?

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
As for me, no. I started out being interested in revolvers, and especially Single Action revolvers. True, I've ventured into other fields, just for the experience, but my true love has always been a target sighted Single Action revolver.

From 1958:

And, from 2015:

Steadfast, that's me. Though other folks have a different name for it.

Bob Wright

bogus bill

Hunter
My taste`s are the same as when I was a kid. Far as collecting go`s, first love has always been the Old West type guns. Oddly I have never been a fan of military guns or plastic. I do like the classic`s, old Winchesters, Colts and Smiths. Flattops single action rugers.

Rclark

Hunter
Nope... :) . Since I was a kid it has been Single Actions.... Today is the same. Only thing that has changed I guess is I see no need for shooting 'hot' loads and maybe shoot a bit more black powder than I used to :D . Not that I haven't shot DAs and semi-autos ... but they just don't do anything for me. Yes, I have a .44Spec DA Bulldog for CC, but that is because of the nice form factor. For woods and play ... the SA rules the day. Not into rifles either, but the few I like are Lever guns.

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
Was real big into Smith & Wesson's, then 45 autos now Ruger single actions. Glad I kept most on the guns I bought. I have to admit that a couple of Smiths have been added the last few years.

toroflow

Single-Sixer
Been into Ruger SAs since my teens, first one was a 200th year 9.5" single six at age 16, then a 41 mag Blackhawk in 1977, then a Blackhawk convertible 45 in 1978. Have them all still, as well as many dozen added over the last 35 years! Can't stand plastic guns, altho I did finally give in and get a trio (.223, 9mm, .308) of ARs.

Coogs

Maximum
Not really, started out in Winchesters at age 7, yes, got my 1st one then, sold a lot of my levers but still have all my .22's, got into the military thing about age 16 (actually have about 10x more military than Rugers.) Got my first Ruger, a SBH at 18, haven't quit since. The only difference is that the single action think morphed into nothing but Maximums. Kinda got a few of them lying around. Oh yeah, add that #1 thing about five years ago. Coogs.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I haven't changed my stance on revolvers and pistols - I love big bore revolvers, and I don't really have any use for semiauto centerfire pistols outside of competition and defense.

My taste in firearms has evolved a bit, however, or rather, I've finally committed to the things I used to lust after. There was a time when I had over 300 firearms, most of them were bone stock as from factory, but I've since pared down dramatically, and I focus all of my interests on custom pieces. I had custom competition firearms before, but my hunting and "recreational" firearms were largely stock, now, almost everything that I use is either pretty significantly updated, or is going to be so. I still have a bunch in the safe that are only mildly modified (action jobs, trigger work, etc), but largely, anything I handle on a regular basis has had a pretty substantial overhaul.

So I suppose I'd liken it to a high school kid drinking Natural Light then growing up to sip 12yr Scotch or swirl Merlot. Quality over quantity (not that my quantity has fallen off by much!)

Love the observations made here.

I guess where I'm going with this is. Instead of limiting myself to JUST long barreled revolvers in mainly .44 mag, I'm branching out into other calibers and barrel lengths.

In fact, I'm enjoying the short barreled revolvers MORE.... DA & SA both.

Terry T

Buckeye
As I approach my 70th birthday, I suppose the heavy magnums are way less appealing. Lately I've picked up a few 1911s, something I've resisted for a long time. I've been mostly into revolvers. I started with the single actions and later moved into the double actions. Took a lot of practice to learn to shoot double action and not automatically revert back to single action.
Some guns that I could only dream of years ago are now for sale like the Ruger LC-9, compact, light weight and in a serious caliber.
I resisted the plastic for a long time but now I have the LC-9, SR-40c, LCR-9, and a LCR .357! Just superior for CCW.
Law changes have also modified my desires. In Ca. it's just not an open field anymore. We are very restricted on what we can buy and or carry. No open carry in Ca. so everything has to be CCW and that means concealed! Big guns don't apply.
Terry T

james r jr

Single-Sixer
Yep, i'm right there with you DA_TriggR4Ruger. My tastes change/evolve but mainly have stayed in the handgun category. You mentioned one that is at the top of my list right now[ GP100 MC].

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
Naw, especially if you're talking about my taste in rifles. I've posted before about how my first 3 Social Security checks went to pay for my custom built .308 Norma Magnum. When I was 16, my girlfriend's dad had a custom, .308 Norma Magnum. That was during the magnum craze of the early '60s, and actually I think his "custom" .308 Norma Magnum was just a re-chambered M-70 Winchester 30-06 with a custom stock. But it didn't matter to me - I loved that rifle! And when Margie broke up with me, it broke my heart because I knew I'd never get to hold and fondle that rifle again. :lol:
But it doesn't matter anymore. At 62 (I'm 67 now) I finally got my true, custom built, .308 Norma Magnum. And I've been married to my true love, Barb, who understands my love for my .308 Norma, for 44 years. :D

jsh

Single-Sixer
First gun I paid for with my own money (age 12) was an Italian knock off black powder cap and ball revolver.
Rifles and shotguns for hunting. Got away from racing and put that into shooting. Then a buddy showed me a TC. I had one a short time later. All single shot pistols. Actually had zero center fire rifles for at least 12-14 years. Got in hard to long range handgunning ( Bob Milek). Had been a fan of his for years.
Had a couple of wheel guns off and on but msotly single shots. Got into IHMSA. Shot three weekends a month for nine months out of the year. The IHMSA game I had no use for rifles. Shooting at and hitting things at 5-600 with a handgun, why did I need a rifle. Handguns became my only deer hunting gun, revolver or SSP's.
I got into the SW thing for several years. Fast forward about 15 years and I had my first Ruger wheel gun. Then another, and another. The SW's sat as the Rugers had way better results easier and better.
Now I have Rugeritis.
I guess I like the frustration a revolver can give you.
Oh I still have toys and things of interest but picking up a wheel gun and shooting a good to excellent group just means so much more.
Had my share of autos. Down to a couple of bullseye guns that are autos. Really enjoy shooting a revolver for center fire bullseye gun now though.
Never got into auto rifles.
Shotguns. Nope. They are a tool for a job to me. Nothing more than a hammer or a shovel. I do have an exclent model 12 duckbill trap with some crazy Bishop wood. It is just a fancy hammer to me though.
Jeff

Armybrat

Buckeye
I was a steel & wood guy until the Tupperware craze got ahold of me about 7 years ago. But after buying a NV .357 earlier this year, the beauty of steel & wood has rekindled my interest in them again. Have bought a new stainless Colt Series 70 1911 and a North American Sidewinder since then.
A Colt SAA, a Super Blackhawk, and another Series 70 Colt 1911 in blue are the top three on my list now. After that, maybe a Single Ten.

Tom W

Blackhawk
I've traded off most all of my revolvers for pistols. I used to swear up and down I'd NEVER have a 9mm anything, but now in my older age I look around and have three, two Glocks and a plastic Ruger. My .45 is also a Glock. Still have one SRH and a 22/45 down at my son's house.....but I'll always love a Ruger #1.

longspurr

Single-Sixer
Life changes, jobs change, new guns come out, and my taste in women has changed. I do think the newer models are better, but don't tell the wife.

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
longspurr said:
Life changes, jobs change, new guns come out, and my taste in women has changed. I do think the newer models are better, but don't tell the wife.

Why? Your wife probably thinks the newer models of men are better too. :lol:

Jim Puke

Hunter
For the most part, my gun interests are unchanged. Never had much interest in bolt action rifles or shotguns, but I do like the AR and lever actions quite a bit. I have always loved handguns, DA and SA, single shot and specialty handguns of most any stripe and my choices for auto pistols leans heavily toward the 1911 and the MKll. Plastic handguns have their place, for me, that is for some concealed carry and that is the only interest that I have in them. So, my interests have remained basically the same, but I have added a platform or two as I have been exposed to them.

trouble

Single-Sixer
Vastly, started out traditional bolt guns and Smith revolvers, alas I've been priced out of the Smith the game thanks to the "collectors". Which is fine as I actually prefer Ruger wheelguns now. Lots of fighting plastic in my handguns now though, and I love some comblic fighting rifles!

5of7

Hunter
Only as to carry guns.

I carried a Smith 642 for a long time but when I got a LC9S for a friend, I decided the 9 would do just fine. It is easier to carry and after 300 rounds has proved itself to be quite reliable. 8)