SP 101 cylinder spins freely

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
Hello,

As recently as a month ago, I shot my SP with no problem. Since then, I haven't touched it. Tonight, when I got it out the cylinder is spinning freely. No lock up at all. When I pull the hammer back for SA, it will sort of go into battery (not the right term) but will still not totally lock up.

Since it was functioning fine and now this, I am at a bit of a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
What have you checked so far? Swing the cylinder out and check the bolt/latch at the bottom of the cylinder window. It should be sticking up about 1/8" and when pushed down it should pop back up (Check with the hammer down). It sounds like the cylinder rotates when you cock the hammer for single action. It sounds like there could be some debris in the trigger group causing the parts not to operate properly or a possible broken spring,(very rare in a Ruger). Remove the trigger group and clean and inspect first before deciding to take any other action. Instructions are in your operators manual. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
Thank you. It's locked up for the night so I will have to check tomorrow.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Spray some penetrating lube like Rem Oil into all the openings in the frame and let it soak for 15 minutes. Then work the action and wipe the gun down with a rag. Sounds like it is gummed up. :D

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
So I finally had time to pull it all apart. No obvious broken parts or malfunctions I can see. Gave it an extremely thorough cleaning and went over everything. Reassembled and have the exact same issue. Feeling pretty frustrated. Pretty broke right now (who has extra money at Christmas?), so I guess I will be saving until I have the $ to take it to the gunsmith :(

Tinman931 said:
So I finally had time to pull it all apart. No obvious broken parts or malfunctions I can see. Gave it an extremely thorough cleaning and went over everything. Reassembled and have the exact same issue. Feeling pretty frustrated. Pretty broke right now (who has extra money at Christmas?), so I guess I will be saving until I have the $ to take it to the gunsmith :(

Call Ruger. They may fix it for free, including shipping. Worth a try...

Dave

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
I contacted customer service. We will see what they say. Guess it can't hurt to at least try.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I would imagine that Ruger will repair it for free. Thier CS is second to none. Henry probably comes very close to Ruger. Both great companies.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
Just got an email back that they want me to call for an RMA so they can look at it. So far, score +1 for Ruger.

Chuckybrown

Bearcat
Hello. The SP101 I bought new in October did the exact same thing. I sent it back, and Ruger fixed it for free. Part #16 on this schematic is the problem: https://www.google.com/search?q=ruger+sp101+schematic&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=BkEyALLR2b9eLM%3A

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
I'm quite probably being blind, but I did not see a part #16 on the schematic in the link.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Not sure what number part it is but my guess is down in the trigger housing is a spring and arm that lift the cylinder stop up into place and then lower it when the action is cycled. My guess is that spring or arm are broken. Not a major surgery and the Ruger Customer Service should be able to turn it around quickly.

Jeff

edited to correct typo: Meant to say "cylinder stop" not "calendar stop". Autocorrect does funny things sometimes.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
jeffnles1 said:
Not sure what number part it is but my guess is down in the trigger housing is a spring and arm that lift the calendar stop up into place and then lower it when the action is cycled. My guess is that spring or arm are broken. Not a major surgery and the Ruger Customer Service should be able to turn it around quickly.

Jeff
Thanks. Hopefully, it is something simple and quick.

HEADKNOCKER

Bearcat
I would remove the trigger guard assembly & check the spring & detent beneath the cylinder stop..
That would be KE-51 & KE-57, The cylinder stop would be KW04501..
I've seen a bur in that hole that 51 & 57 go cause the problem you're having, If you attempt to remove the stop to the right 51 & 57 should spring out under tension, BEWARE & capture them, clean the hole by hand with a drill bit & reassemble with a drop of lightweight oil.. IIRC you shouldn't have to completely disassemble the trigger guard but I would & clean & debur every hole, I would also polish the pins, the hole the latch goes in is also the trigger return spring & is notorious for having burs in it's channel, Cleaning up that hole will smoothen the trigger pull & return of the trigger, IIRC it takes a 1/4" bit, The smaller ones I just can't remember the size I used?
Watch this Video of a Super Redhawk's trigger guard which is the same just larger in size -----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ydLogHR-Y
Good Luck

I hope to pick up another SP101 in the not so near future..

BTW it's me berettapistols.. Lost my login info so I'm starting from scratch with my S&W Forum username..
"Might show you his Smith & Wesson HEADKNOCKER"

j%20frame%20sp101%20617.jpg

SP101s.jpg

OR Some Ruger SP101s in 38spl, 357 mag & 9mm para

Ruger%20SP101.jpg

Gary/Hk

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
I just shipped it off to the factory for repair. Hopefully, they can take care of things. It is one of my favorites.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
I got my SP back from the factory. Very quick turnaround and according to the paperwork it has a new hammer, trigger, trigger plunger, cylinder latch, springs, and plungers. I have not yet had a chance to take it to the range to test it yet. I will say the mechanisms are very tight.
I know a lot of people like to go to the internet to complain, but I have to say that I am extremely impressed with their customer service. In a little over a week (including a holiday) they completely repaired an almost 20 year old gun and had it back to me for the cost of me shipping it to them (no charge for the return shipment). This is the type of thing that keeps me a loyal customer.

Glad it worked out for ya. See, good customer service and all...now your should go buy a brand new Ruger to "pay them back" so to speak....joking...

Let us know how it shoots when you get it to the range.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
Kevin said:
Glad it worked out for ya. See, good customer service and all...now your should go buy a brand new Ruger to "pay them back" so to speak....joking...

Let us know how it shoots when you get it to the range.
I like how you're thinking!

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Ruger CS is second to none. the only one that even comes close is Henry. Congratulations on the return and repair of a fine revolver.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
jstanfield103 said:
Ruger CS is second to none. the only one that even comes close is Henry. Congratulations on the return and repair of a fine revolver.
Looking forward to getting back to the range and trying it out.