Felt Recoil 32 H&R vs 327 Fed vs 38 Spl

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sebtool

Blackhawk
I'm on a mission for Christmas, for my daughter. She doesn't shoot as much as some of us do, and is a bit recoil sensitive to boot. As she's on her own, living in 'the big city', I've always preached situational awareness, and being prepared. (I hate like hell that she lives up there anyway. Kids. :evil:) Up until a few years ago she didn't really care for shooting handguns, and stuck with a variety of .22 rifles.

2-3 years ago I got her an SR22 Pistol for Christmas, and she loves it, but doesn't shoot it well. A large part of that is the 'FINE' trigger pull. Hell, I can hardly hit what I'm shooting at with it. (Feel free to take pot shots here, I'm used to it! I don't shoot as much as I used to, either... :( ) If this was 20 yrs ago, I'd say that whoever machined the parts, then fitted this gun together, had nothing to use but stone knives and bear claws. :evil: We've discussed sending it back, but she's not too fond of that idea. I think that when she has another option, that will be an easier sell on my part.

Here's my question. Granted, she needs to shoot more, and I tried the SP101 that my wife 'requisitioned' after she shot it, with .38s. Daughter thought it still had too much recoil, didn't care for it. Over the past 2 years she's been working out, and getting stronger, so I think we might have to revisit the .38s next weekend when she comes down home 'to the country' for Labor Day. :D

I've been wondering about the .32 H&R mag, and the .327 Federal, in terms of both 'control-ability' and effectiveness. IIRC, the .327 will digest a .32 mag, just like the .357 mag/.38 Spl and .44 mag/.44 Spl, correct? I'm assuming that the .327 has a bit more of a snap to it, but I can't see how it could be too excessive, considering the caliber. I'd imagine that the .32 mag would be pretty pleasant to shoot as well, but I've never had much problem with recoil, either. I'm figuring shoot .32 mags in the .327 until she gets used to it, then move up for a bit more bite. Any info from those with experience in this area?

1 other question regarding the .32/.327. Is the cylinder on the .32 mag long enough to handle a .327 if it was properly reamed? If I can find the right gun in .32 mag, for a decent price, I could handle the modification pretty easily, providing there's enough meat on the cylinder. I'd have to rent a reamer, of course, so it may not be cost effective anyway. Both the .32 and .327 seem to command a bit of a premium though, so for the right deal, it may work out.

Another option I have, but don't really care for, is a nice old 3" Charter Arms Pathfinder in .22 mag that she shoots pretty well. Though it wouldn't have the bite of a .32, it's not an insignificant round, with the right load. The problem there is, it's 1 of my favorite 'throw it in my pocket or on my belt walking in the woods guns'. On top of that, it took me forever to find it, just kind of lucked into it. I've only seen 1 or 2 since then, and they cost at least 2-3x what I paid for this 1. Plus, I'm pretty fond of the 3" barrels on a small revolver, I like the way they handle. 8) Besides, I'll leave it to her in my will, she can have it then!!!! :lol:

Can anyone here shed some words of wisdom in these areas for me?

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Very simplified ;

.32 S&W Long will have near .4. Opp, near .22 rimfire recoil. .32Mag more than that , but well less than .38spl . The full power .327 will be more than .38+P , but less thaan full power .357mag.

So , if your goal is less recoil than .38spl , then .32Mag will fill your needs , .

The other option is start her with extra mild loads in .38spl , and with practice and instruction work her up to std vel defensive loads.

The traditional mild .38spl loading was the 148fr WC @ nominal 775fps. The CAS loading of 125 rnfp @ nominal 756ps is milder still.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
You like 3 in. so how about a lcrx in 38 easy trigger and with lite loads very easy to shoot and carry
32s are hard to find and no one makes a small 327.

s4s4u

Hunter
I have the LCRx and my daughter doesn't find it much fun at all with medium +P loads. My SP101 with the same load she has no problem with. If an SP with 38's is too much, the same gun in 32 H&R might be the ticket. Also, it might be a good idea to retry the SP in 38 and see if she can now manage it.

G2

Hunter
You mention that your wife took the SP101.
IMO these guns be it, .32,38/357 are neat good platforms BUT they do need a few adjustments, first, getting rid of the Ruger Grip. A Houge rubber is way better allowing a place for all three fingers. The rubber helps to "hang on" I find that most inexperienced shooters like that, builds confidence. Over time some go with wood for a variety of reasons.
Another adjustment that again IMO is critical is a action job including reduced power springs, especially the trigger spring, I do reduce the main spring too. There is a Wolff Spring Kit designed for this. CRITICAL; the entire gun needs to have he entire action gone thru, installing a spring kit is not a action job.

Now that we have a good grip on a smooth action, load it. 32 H&R's are piffle's, they can be loaded up but factory ammo is mild, buffalo bore now makes a +p. Home rolled can get zippy. :wink:
I have only shot the Federal American Eagle 100 gr 327, it thumped good, my HR 13.2gr H110 100grXTP were smooth.
There is enough room in the SP101 32H&R cylinder to make it a 327, rent a reamer?? There are many good gunsmiths that will do this for rent. But truthfully the little 32H&R with Bufallo Boar offerings or some "good ol roll your own" is just fine, the added ~100fps+\- in 327, splitting hairs. NOTE, Roll your own RECIPIES are out there.
Bottom line: shoot, shoot & shoot some more, it has to be their idea, let them ask and beg for hotter loads, NEVER suggest or offer to let them try a hotter load. We know it is going to have more oomph, they will feel it slightly :roll: IF it was there idea it will be good, our idea, not so good.

Hope my ramblings help.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I think a 32 H&R or 327 mag is great but a 38 special revolver can be loaded with very light recoiling ammo also. Lots of choices to experiment with. I bet a LCR would be perfect for a lady. :D

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Chuck 100 yd said:
3" Ruger SP101, .357 mag shooting .38 special and wearing the Hogue mono grip.
It will be a joy to her and her grandchildren.

Sounds like a winner to me. Plus, she could keep it stoked with some serious ammo for actual SD use...

BTW, does she wear ear protection when practicing? Half of the perceived "bite" of recoil comes from the "bark" of muzzleblast if you catch my drift... :wink:

bogus bill

Hunter
I have a single six in .32 H&R mag. It doesn't kick any more than a .22 to me. However it isn't a small purse gun and does have a sharp muzzle blast. You said she likes that .22. I would just have her stick with that. A 22 mag is nothing to take lightly. In fact I had a close friend many years ago who was a retired Lt. of Homicide for the city of Indianapolis. He once told me he thought the .22 lr the worst thing to get hit with. He claimed the .22 will rickoshay all over inside the rib cage off the bones. But he also told me of his partner getting hit with a 22 and it didnt hit a rib so it just drilled a hole. He said they went to the hospital and all that they did was to put two band aids on him, one on the front and one on the back and released him! Mac was a interesting guy he was a cop from about 1939 to 1965. We worked together on his "Retirement" job.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
bogus bill said:
...he also told me of his partner getting hit with a 22 and it didnt hit a rib so it just drilled a hole. He said they went to the hospital and all that they did was to put two band aids on him, one on the front and one on the back and released him! Mac was a interesting guy he was a cop from about 1939 to 1965. We worked together on his "Retirement" job.
A kid I used to hang around with got shot in the upper arm and the 22 bullet hit the bone and just bounced back out. :D

sebtool

Blackhawk
Thanks for all the info and tips. I've never shot a .32 mag or .327, so have no experience with them.

We always use ear protection, that was definitely a good point. I keep several sets of ear muffs around, and have boxes of ear plugs from back when I had my own shop.

I hadn't thought of trying Hogue grips on the SP101. I did pick up a set of wooden Eagle grips awhile back, thought that they might be more comfortable. I'll swing thru the LGS in the next few days and see if they have a set. It's worth a shot!

I'd prefer to get her a 3" .357, and work up from .38s. It would be more flexible in the long run, plus more bang for the buck, to coin a phrase. That's always a good thing! :lol: And as posted above, it'll easily outlast me! I do know that a lighter gun would cause more problems, as my wife isn't too fond of the recoil that my S&W 642 puts out, even with lighter loads. I believe that my daughter tried taking a shot or 2 with it, didn't finish the cylinder. That's been a few years ago, but I think the SP101 is the platform to stay with for now. Neither liked the grip size on my GP100, but it had stock grips on it back then. I do have a set of Lett compacts that might work better, I'll have to try them out.

I'll have to dig around and see exactly what I have in .38s for this weekend. I don't have
my reloading press set up right now, have a space/remodeling issue to resolve 1st. I did have some wadcutter target loads, and may have a box left.
I was thinking the .32 or .327 might be good option, but don't really need to get into another caliber right now. But it still sounds like a viable option if she still has problems with the .38s.

She's not ready to go to a concealed carry weapon yet, so I'm not looking at the purse gun sized stuff yet. We've had 'discussions' in that area several times. Especially considering that she's a social worker. Even though she works in better areas than that s***hole Ferguson, some of the south city isn't that much better. Hence all the situational awareness talks.

Thanks for all the input!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
DGW1949 said:
Here ya go:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_recoil_table.htm

DGW
Very useful table. It doesn't include the .327 Federal but for that round assuming a 100 gr bullet and a 8 gr powder charge at 1300 fps (realistic from a 3" barrel) in a 2 pound gun the recoil energy would be 4.2 ft-pounds or about 50% more of that from a .32 H&R Mag.

DGW1949

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
DGW1949 said:
Here ya go:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_recoil_table.htm

DGW
Very useful table. It doesn't include the .327 Federal but for that round assuming a 100 gr bullet and a 8 gr powder charge at 1300 fps (realistic from a 3" barrel) in a 2 pound gun the recoil energy would be 4.2 ft-pounds or about 50% more of that from a .32 H&R Mag.

.....and about 2X of the old .38Spl military load fired from the same weight gun.
On the other hand, relative to the OP's question as quoted below:

"Here's my question. Granted, she needs to shoot more, and I tried the SP101 that my wife 'requisitioned' after she shot it, with .38s. Daughter thought it still had too much recoil, didn't care for it. Over the past 2 years she's been working out, and getting stronger, so I think we might have to revisit the .38s next weekend when she comes down home 'to the country' for Labor Day. :D" ....

...It all depends on the exact load (in whichever caliber), the weight of the sidearm being used, AND as others have said, the shooter's tolerance level for noise 'n blast.

DGW

peyton

Single-Sixer
I had the same issue with my kids, I got the 32 magnum and started them shooting 32 S&W, then 32 S&W long and finished with 32 mag. I think our population is up to 20 32 mags in different sizes and manufacture!! Now that Ruger has gotten serious about producing 327 revolvers I have two Single Sevens, two SP101 and the Blackhawk 8 to use

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have several SP101 revolvers and not a one is a 38 or 357( one is 9mm).I have 3 in .22lr, one at 2" and two 4". I have a 3" in 32 H&r and another 3" in 327. I recently got the 4" in 327 and it is more of a kit gun or trail piece. I also have two S&W model 30-1 revolvers in 32long and a 3" 632 in 32h&r. I have carried all but the 32long guns at least a little.

Recoil is relative to cartridge power, gun weight and shooter tolerance to an explosion happening in their hand. Lighter carry guns like the air weights, LCR, etc may be light enough to carry easily but the recoil will "feel worse" due to that lighter weight. You can probably get all the power your daughter can handle with a 32h&r but the 327 can handle much more. Buffalo Bore does have a 100gr JHP load at 1300fps for the H&R. Either of these guns are heavy enough to not recoil as badly as the lighter ones. Grips can make a huge difference. I do OK with the factory ones but like the Hogues better.

There are a few cast bullet companies that sell lighter bullets for the 38 since you say you have loaded for it already. 125gr. and lighter will help with the felt recoil when loaded with small charges of fast powder, even Trail Boss might be an option. The 32's really shine when reloaded, it is another hobby entirely and makes shooting more rounds economically feasible. Ten cent per round .22 prices make the 32 look that much better.

Good luck in your search for her " just right " gun.

32Magfan

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
b81i11.jpg

This is a pic of my Charter 32 H&R ...6 shot,all steel , weighs in at just shy of 19 oz ..
Is built on the 44 Spl frame .. Slick little snubbie .. 32 Longs are a pleasure to shoot .. Recoil very limited .. 32. ACP pops a bit more .. But no real noticeable difference ,than the longs .. I hadn't tried any of the increased velocity/ pressure 32 H&R ammo .. I really was looking for a altertive for my wife for a house gun .. But picked my Charter Mag pug 357 mag with standard pressure 38 spl ammo .. But the 32H&R with Hornady FTX makes a fine low recoiling ( quicker follow up shot) alternative for carry ..

Latest posts