My new Ruger Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

e3mrk

Bearcat
I picked up a Ruger New Vaquero 45 Long Colt today and it's My first Cowboy type Revolver.
It belonged to My Oldest Son who needed some fast cash to repair His Boat.
He didn't want to ask to borrow Money so He was selling it and I bought it and told Him He could buy it back at any time.

IMG_20150828_223809_485_zpsswmdno6w.jpg

IMG_20150828_223757_627_zpsbj6gz09t.jpg

I hope He doesn't want it back too soon as I love shooting it.

Dale53

Blackhawk
e3mrk;
That's a fine looking Vaquero. I had a 4 5/8" Vaquero that I bought to shoot black powder cartridge matches. Requirements were fixed sights, black powder (or approved substitute). Out of the box, the windage was perfect at 25 yards but it shot low. That was not really a problem as the front sight was plenty tall. Over a period of three range sessions (I would take a bit off the front sight each session) I had it hitting on center at 25 yards.

After a few matches, I decided I would prefer a longer barrel. I ended up with a Ruger Bisley Vaquero. To my pleasant surprise, it shot to center at 25 yards right out of the box! I ended up shooting the home cast Lyman 452664 (250 gr RF) ahead of a case full of black powder. I compressed the powder 1/16" when seating the 30/1 cast bullet. This combination shot really well and I could shoot about 70 shots before the cylinder started binding from powder fouling. Ten minutes with a good black powder solvent and I was ready to go for another 70 shots. I won a number of matches with that combination and I still have that fine revolver:

Ruger has done a very nice job on the Vaquero and Bisley Vaquero revolvers. In spite of fixed sights, the sight picture is very good and you can do excellent work with these revolvers if they are regulated to the load you are using. I discovered that an equivalent smokeless load shoots just as well and to the same point of impact.

FWIW
Dale53

dakota1911

Buckeye
Have too many but love them all. My last one is a birds head in 45ACP. It is just a lot of fun to shoot.