Redhawk Hammer Pin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

myco4you

Bearcat
The hammer pin on all the Redhawks I see has the tab cutout on the frame on the right side of the gun.The tab on the pin sits in the cutout,and is partially covered by the grip.

I just got a .44 Redhawk,but the tab cutout is on the left side of the frame.The same side as the cyl release lever.It's an older gun from 1983 production.Seems to be the same pin and all,just that the cutout is on the other side of the frame than usual.

Why is this?

hittman

Staff member
I'm thinking I heard rumors that some of the early ones were made that way. Not sure if it's rare or more valuable.

A subscription to RENE may hold the info. Don't have mine with me at the moment.

DPris

Buckeye
Simplest answer, no sarcasm included, is that it's because it was made that way then & it ain't made that way now. :)

Which in itself would not make it much of a collector's item.
Denis

myco4you

Bearcat
I don't really care if it's rare or valuable.

Just wanted to know why they changed to the other side.Easier to make?Stronger on that side?

There has to be a reason behind the change,other than "that's how they do it now"

DPris

Buckeye
I've found in asking questions that involve several years' time, the turnover rate at Ruger occasionally leads to a "Well.....nobody remembers" kinda answer, which is why I gave you the one I did. :)

I can't see either side making any difference in strength structurally.
Most likely just easier to make during some stage of the manufacturing process. That's a very frequent reason for minor alterations in design.
Denis

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Is your gun a 5.5" barrel? I ask because I've never seen this on anything but the 5.5" guns. I have one the same as yours and I kow from his pics that David Bradshaw does as well. I traded a 7.5" for mine in 1983. It was the first 5.5" gun I had seen.

I had an article from a magazine on the new 5.5" guns and it made mention of the pin being on the opposite side.

No idea why they changed to these pins but have a "theory" as to why they changed back. When grips with a speed loader cutout are used there is nothing holding the pin in the gun.

They are pretty rare, but mine has so many battle scars from 30+ years of hard use that it sure wouldn't hold any collector value.

Dan

hittman

Staff member
My 2nd year production 7.5-incher (500-077xx s/n) has this on the right. So do the 5.5-inch models but they're in the 501- and 502- s/n range.

5of7

Hunter
I think that if we ever discover the reason for the reversal of the cut-out, it will be that it facilitated some machining operation.....like it may have lessened the handling of the frame during machining operations.

Just my guess is all....

BTW, I have 7 Redhawks with serial prefixes ranges of 501, 503, 551, and 530. All with the gut on the right side of the receiver. 8)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The right side tabbed pin is mentioned in the RENE, but no reason given. I agree with DPris, just another small feature change due to some production, assembly or cost advantage. Interesting though that the tab started on the left, switched to the right early on, and apparently back again.

The only right side tab model considered rare is the KRH-44R (7 1/2" 44 Mag w/top strap machined for scope rings.)