Price? LGS has a Ruger Single-six in .32+ African Magnaports

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TJPopkin

Bearcat
I need a fair price check….
My LGS has a Single-Six in .32 H&R Mag with original Ruger Stag stocks. Asking $600. I thought it might be a tad high. No box and a slight scratch on the cylinder.

However, they also have a complete set of Magnaport Rugers (serial#10) in the African Game Series….unfired in unique wooden cases.
I love the Tomahawk….hard chromed .44 with stag stocks..on cover of G&A when first made…this gun.
Asking $6500 for the set…..these are fabulous…

street

Hunter
I don't think the .32 H&R Mag. Ruger Single-Six came with Stag grips from the factory. After market stag grips are in the $275 to $375 range. Not sure about the gun, need barrel length and if a 2 or 3 digit serial number that would bring a premium.

TJPopkin

Bearcat
street said:
I don't think the .32 H&R Mag. Ruger Single-Six came with Stag grips from the factory. After market stag grips are in the $275 to $375 range. Not sure about the gun, need barrel length and if a 2 or 3 digit serial number that would bring a premium.

The LGS said the owner bought the gun new and the grips were definitely a factory option. That is what I was told, and this is a VERY reputable store.

Coogs

Maximum
The ONLY .32 H & R that came with factory stags, that I am aware of was an RCA issue Bisley, RB-32, just my two cents, Coogs.

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Also, if it is the RCA Bisley, believe the stags are not factory, they were done by Eagle Grips for the RCA, and think the are Sanbar Stag.

If that's the case, the owner did not buy from Ruger, but rather RCA.

If it is not a Bisley, unlikley it is original from factory.

contender

Ruger Guru
TJPopkin,,, if it was shipped with stags,,, it would need the factory letter for me. In the letter,,, the model info would have a code letter or letters for the stags.
I agree with my esteemed friends above,,, highly unlikely they came from Ruger with stags.

TJPopkin

Bearcat
contender said:
TJPopkin,,, if it was shipped with stags,,, it would need the factory letter for me. In the letter,,, the model info would have a code letter or letters for the stags.
I agree with my esteemed friends above,,, highly unlikely they came from Ruger with stags.

I hear you guys….totally!

I thought the price was too high, especially when the Single-Seven in .327 Federal is less money….

G2

Hunter
I agree with the rest,,,,

HOWEVER.....

IF THE GUN IS IN 98% + condition with stags , IMO, That's a good deal. Cylinder turn ring on a new model I personally don't pay any consideration, if you shoot em there going to get'em.

32's run in the 500 range all day long and then add a "NICE" set of stags, yep up over $600 :wink:

Yes the 327's run mid $550's, and yes I acquired one, it does hold one more, will shoot loads with ~ 2 more grains of H110 & stainless +\-,,,,

BUT I'm not getting rid of any of my blued models :D

The 4.6" now wears a nice set of stags that I paid $200 and felt like I stole em. :roll: :roll:

3ruger32s.jpg

street

Hunter
TJPopkin said:
street said:

The LGS said the owner bought the gun new and the grips were definitely a factory option. That is what I was told, and this is a VERY reputable store.
LGS people are like used car salesmen. Take what they say with a grain of salt. I bet that gun was bought by an "OLD MAID SCHOOL TEACHER"!!!!! :lol:

wwb

Hunter
street said:
LGS people are like used car salesmen. Take what they say with a grain of salt. I bet that gun was bought by an "OLD MAID SCHOOL TEACHER"!!!!! :lol:

And she only shot it on Sundays......

Coogs

Maximum
Just a matter of opinion, back it those days guns sold by the RCA were just about the same as Ruger. So, i just considered them factory.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
TJPopkin said:

VERY reputable and very knowledgeable are two different things. The Stags are not factory unless it's a Ruger Collector's Assoc. Bisley model with drift adjustable rear sight. Or one of eight super rare with fully adjustable rear sight. And the stags must be India Sambar stag, not elk antler. Do the grips have Ruger medallions in them?

If it's a standard plow handle grip with genuine India Sambar stag, it's a heck of a deal as posted by others above.

TJPopkin

Bearcat
Coogs said:
Just a matter of opinion, back it those days guns sold by the RCA were just about the same as Ruger. So, i just considered them factory.
Hondo44 said:
TJPopkin said:

VERY reputable and very knowledgeable are two different things. The Stags are not factory unless it's a Ruger Collector's Assoc. Bisley model with drift adjustable rear sight. Or one of eight super rare with fully adjustable rear sight. And the stags must be India Sambar stag, not elk antler. Do the grips have Ruger medallions in them?

If it's a standard plow handle grip with genuine India Sambar stag, it's a heck of a deal as posted by others above.

I did not photograph the gun, but the gun has Ruger Sambar Stags with Ruger medallions and they are fitted perfectly. In the guns from Magnaport, is a "Tomahawk"..hard chromed Super Blackhawk with the same stag grips. The collector that sold the guns to the LGS was a big Ruger Collector. There is no box, so I do not know what the factory codes are, but it is NOT a Bisley. I will get the Serial# and take a photo on Monday at the store (with my phone) and reserve the gun….I wish I were rich!!!!
they also had a Model 16 S&W in 98% which I bought….
Terry

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Wow Terry!

Glad you grabbed the Mod 16! What vintage?

You stumbled into the mother lode. I'd grab the Ruger .32 and letter it for $10 to find out about the stags later. And the Tomahawk that you like so well.

Don't fall into the trap that I often do: "Oh I've spent enough money, I don't want to spend anymore right now." I've lost too many opportunities doing that! Because they just don't come along evenly spaced so we can space out our purchases. We have to strike while the iron is hot.

TJPopkin

Bearcat
Hondo44 said:
Wow Terry!

Glad you grabbed the Mod 16! What vintage?

You stumbled into the mother lode. I'd grab the Ruger .32 and letter it for $10 to find out about the stags later. And the Tomahawk that you like so well.

Don't fall into the trap that I often do: "Oh I've spent enough money, I don't want to spend anymore right now." I've lost too many opportunities doing that! Because they just don't come along evenly spaced so we can space out our purchases. We have to strike while the iron is hot.

Hondo,
Called the dealer again….he is really knowledgeable and in business for 50 years. He remembers when the gun was bought. He told me today, the gunsmith did a trigger job, and fitted the grips that the customer bought from Ruger…Sambar Stag. Not a Bisley, but fully adjustable rear sights and in .32 H&R. We measured the cylinder and the .327 Federal will not fit if rechambered.
Serial # 650-039xx
Asking $600.00. Will I be able to recover the investment??? For instance, the Model 16(no dash) is priced at 1/2 the current value….97%gun LNIB.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
TJPopkin said:
Hondo,
Called the dealer again….he is really knowledgeable and in business for 50 years. He remembers when the gun was bought. He told me today, the gunsmith did a trigger job, and fitted the grips that the customer bought from Ruger…Sambar Stag. Not a Bisley, but fully adjustable rear sights and in .32 H&R. We measured the cylinder and the .327 Federal will not fit if rechambered.
Serial # 650-039xx
Asking $600.00. Will I be able to recover the investment??? For instance, the Model 16(no dash) is priced at 1/2 the current value….97%gun LNIB.

Terry,

Thx for your call. Meant to call you today, but it just wasn't in the cards. I rake care of my wife 24/7 is this weekend was full. I'll try tomorrow. Want to especially talk about the shop fitting "grips that the customer bought from Ruger…Sambar Stag."

At first measurement the .32 cyl does not appear long enough if reamed for the .327 FM. However, as I discovered, factory loaded .327 Mag cartridges are only ~.003" longer than the factory 32 H&R chambers. Originally I thought I'd have to run the factory loads thru my seating die and seat the bullets a couple of .001" deeper in the case, but didn't have to. Believe it or not they function perfectly by taking advantage of the barrel/cylinder gap spacing. I know it might be counterintuitive but as they say, truth can be stranger than fiction. Even though the Fed mags in the 85 Gr HP Hyrda shock and 100 gr FP loads were longer than the .32 H&R Mag chambers, the ~ .005" bar/cyl gap was sufficient for the loaded cyl to rotate w/o interference.

Pacific makes a 327 reamer for $119: http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=135_427&sort=20a&page=15

You will have no problem recovering your investment of $600 for the .32 single six with Sambar Stag grips!