GP100 .38 Special Half Lug question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roboink

Bearcat
Hello, Wondering if I can swap out my .38 special cylinder with a .357 stainless cylinder from Numrich's..It has the cylinder, extractor, crane and ejector rod. If I did the swap, probably try a .38 special round first..?

Any thoughts or concerns..?

image.jpg2_1.jpg.html

Any reason why to swap it out? You can go with .38 +P and be close to magnum power. That said, the swap shouldn't be a big deal. As said, make sure the b/c gap is ok and it times correctly (it should, Ruger parts (within a model) are pretty interchangeable with little to no gunsmithing needed).

However, seeing how litigious things are in the US nowadays, if it were used (with the mag cylinder in place) to defend yourself, and it is examined by the shootees lawyer or a zealous DA, they are going to hammer you with questions like "why did you make this .38 into a .357 Mag? Were you looking for trouble? Etc., etc., etc. Even if you win, then the shootees family takes you to court for unlawful death where the proof does not have to be as much as a criminal case for them to win a bunch of money from you.

Thel

Blackhawk
I would think that it would be cheaper to ream out the .38 cylinder to .357. Otherwise, one must change the cylinder and then have it fit to the gun for timing, headspace, b/c gap and maybe endshake. It may drop in just fine but on the other hand a bit of fitting might be required.

eveled

Hawkeye
.38 special 4 inch revolvers, have a niche market. Some special police, and I think security outfits require that gun specifically, so it is worth more as it is, than as a .357. I would think twice before I reamed it. A second cylinder would be the way to go.

Iglo73

Bearcat
Just curious here...if this is a dedicated 38 cylinder, isn't it too short for a 357 cartridge?

FergusonTO35

Hunter
OP, you do understand there are people on this forum who would gladly pay you the same price as a new .357 for your gun, correct? Some weirdos actually prefer the .38 only GP-100. I'm one of them but have no funding for the program. Put it up for sale in the classifieds section, somebody will buy it.

k22fan

Blackhawk
So I'm a "weirdo?" Hmmm .............. probably so but my dog will still play fetch with me.

roboink,

Reread FergusonTO35's reply several times. Heck, commit it to memory. Sleep on it them report back in the morning. Consider advertising a trade.

To further discourage you consider that your .38's sights were intended to be on target with .38 specials. If you are or plan on practicing enough to be a good shot at distance that matters.

For both aesthetics and weight I would have preferred a half lug blued .38 GP 100 to my full lug but I bought what I found.

eveled

Hawkeye
Iglo73 said:
Just curious here...if this is a dedicated 38 cylinder, isn't it too short for a 357 cartridge?

No. On the GP's same size cylinder, chambers just aren't as deep.

The original .38 special SP101's were smaller, but there are also .38special SP's built on the newer .357 frame.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I can say that 'cause I'm one of them. Currently have four full size .38's. S&W 10-5 and 10-10, Ruger Service Six, and Taurus 82. I will forever regret passing up an NIB KGPF-840 in 2002 for $400.00. Should've forked it over and been happy that I now had my precious.

Another thing to discourage you: If you convert it to .38 Special Ruger probably won't give you any service on it or will make you pay for converting it back to .38 if you send it in. That causes not only a perceived liability problem for them but a legal one as well. In their minds ATF will poop a brick if one of their guns is a .38 in their books but is running around as a .357.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
"In their minds ATF will poop a brick if one of their guns is a .38 in their books but is running around as a .357."
Do they create that brick for all re-chambered firearms?

Velvet

Bearcat
RoninPA said:
However, seeing how litigious things are in the US nowadays, if it were used (with the mag cylinder in place) to defend yourself, and it is examined by the shootees lawyer or a zealous DA, they are going to hammer you with questions like "why did you make this .38 into a .357 Mag? Were you looking for trouble? Etc., etc., etc. Even if you win, then the shootees family takes you to court for unlawful death where the proof does not have to be as much as a criminal case for them to win a bunch of money from you.

After being in the L.E. field for 25 years, I agree with this100%. Its a shame we have to think like this but I have personally seen a courtroom situation as above and the civil wrongful death lawsuit that followed. Though it didn't involve a rechambered gun, it actually involved the use of reloaded ammunition, but a rechamber to a hotter cartridge may have a similar effect.

Roboink; if you decide to have the gun rechambered or have a 357 cylinder fitted, DO NOT ever use it for self defense.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
"In their minds ATF will poop a brick if one of their guns is a .38 in their books but is running around as a .357."
Do they create that brick for all re-chambered firearms?

I don't know, you'd have to ask them. However most gunmakers do not like allowing guns to leave their service department with aftermarket parts or unauthorized modifications.

I'm with the wierdos. Unless you plan to hunt big game with it, leave it as is.

If you do plan to hunt big game with it, sell it to one of us wierdos, buy a stainless 6" .357, and have Ahlmans make it into a half-lug. You'll find the longer barrel and adjustable sights makes it a much better deer rifle.

k22fan

Blackhawk
If you know before buying a 6" .357 GP that it will have to have most of the full lug removed before you will be happy then it makes more sense to be patient and wait for a factory 6" half lug to turn up. They are not scarce just inconvenient to find in a hurry. Also it is unlikely your LGS would price one as a sought after collectors' item.

I don't mean to bad mouth the gun. In fact they are may favorite of the .357 GPs.

5of7

Hunter
RoninPA said:

Sad, but true.

Always use a strictly stock gun with factory ammo in it as your carry gun. 8)