New-to-me scoped SBH Hunter 44Mag... Range Report.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Claims Rep.

Single-Sixer
I recently got a nice 2.5x7x28mm Simmons Gold Medal scope for my 44Mag. Just got the scope mounted, and will be headed to the range next week to zero the scope and practice some. I plan to deer hunt with it, and also plan to use a rest/shooting sticks when shooting. I had a gunsmith work the trigger spring for me, which took it from just under a 7 lb. pull to now being just over 3 lbs.

Anyone got any tips on shooting scoped handguns? I've only shot one once before, and that was quite a while back.

Thanks.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've shot scoped handguns for years. As with any new type of shooting,,, PRACTICE! It's different using a scope vs. iron sights. Once you get used to it,,, it'll be another tool to use.

Contender nailed it. Think how many times over the years you picked up a handgun just to the right height, in the correct direction, front sight in focus. Scopes are the same thing. Requires muscle memory. You can practice dry fire routines at home. You can practice dry fire anytime you want. Just make sure it's DRY fire. The more times you bring it up watching your target and bring those cross hairs into your view, the better you will get at it. Don't need to shoot a single shot for the first 500 times. Rests help a lot once you are ready to shoot. Have fun.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Anyone got any tips on shooting scoped handguns? I've only shot one once before, and that was quite a while back.

Look through scope, place center of reticle on target, squeeze trigger, repeat.

sixshot

Buckeye
Well, its not that simple. First, if you zero the gun off sandbags don't expect it to be zeroed when sitting or shooting off sticks, you'll need to shoot from several positions to see if the POI changes because it will. Plus if you're used to iron sights & mount a scope now the scope is something like 1 1/2" higher than your iron sights so you will have a whole new problem at first. Of course it can be overcome but it does take practice. Probably the fastest way to learn is to look at the target, then bring the gun up while still looking at the target & the scope will be there, not at first but quite rapidly you will start finding the cross hairs. If you just bring the gun up, then duck your head & start hunting for the cross hairs it going to take you quite a while to enjoy your new toy, trust me! Always try to use a rest at first, get comfortable there & then move to other positions & get comfortable there, shooting in the field is much different than shooting at the range. Enjoy your new scope, they work!

Dick

s4s4u

Hunter
I'll echo Dick's remarks and add:

Don't fear the wobble!!!

Your first time with magnification may have you wondering how you ever hit anything with a handgun. The scope doesn't make you wobble, it just shows you how much wobble you have. You need to work with the wobble, because it is always there unless you only shoot from a bench. The same basic advice I offer newbies with handguns doubly applies to optics:

Don't press the trigger when the sights are on target, press the trigger while the sights are on target.

Claims Rep.

Single-Sixer
Thanks to all for the replies. Definitely gives me things to consider before my next range trip. I'll post up some pics of my range results next weekend.