.30 Carbine NM Blackhawk Grips & 7.5" Barrel Holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pcaine

Bearcat
I am apparently looking in all the wrong places for wooden replacement grips and a cowboy style holster with snap strap over the hammer, exposed trigger and open at the barrel tip. Might someone have solved this problem before me?

Vendors tell me the Super Blackhawk grips, which are in abundance, do not fit the .30 carbine NM Blackhawk. And tedious looking for leather holsters has not revealed my custom holster wants.

hittman

Staff member
Single Action Grip Frames Explained

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=131345

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
The vendors are correct,,, the Super Blackhawk grip frame is a different one than the Blackhawk one. Look for just the Blackhawk NM grips. Easily found.

As for the holster. The only issue I see is the exposed trigger portion. Most leather holsters cover the trigger for safety. There are many holsters out there,,, but not quite like what you described.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I believe the Galco SAO holster would meet your needs. They should be available at MidwayUSA.com. Since I have Rugers in all four barrel lengths, I have a SAO in 5.5" for 4 5/8" and 5.5" and one in 7.5" for 6.5' and 7.5". The SAO is made in all 4 barrel lengths. Bob!! :D

rangerbob

Buckeye
Well I looked at Midway and they don't carry the SAO, but they do have the Bianchi #1 for the 7.5" Blackhawk. The #1 has been around for decades and is a fine holster. Check it out. Bob!! :(

hittman

Staff member
If it were me, I'd call Simply Rugged (Mark?) and see what they can whip up for me. If you don't see what you want on-line, call and ask for it.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Cattleman-Leather-Holster.cfm?item_id=156&parent=669

pcaine

Bearcat
This is a great thread. I am keeping busy following good suggestions.

I found, unless I misunderstand, that grips for the NM .30 Blackhawk are a different size than the .40 or .45. NM Blackhawk. And they are not made because the demand for .30 grips is so small. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

I admired the El Paso Saddlery offerings, albeit pricey. I am moving in the direction of a custom made holster so I sent an email of my wants to Simply Rugged.

The holster offerings mentioned in this thread are on target but all are stitched at the barrel tip.

I will not be wearing this holster. I just want it so I can fire it without drawing it. Firing through a cowhide holster tip boggles my mind.

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't know where you got the info that a NM Blackhawk 30 carbine has a smaller grip frame than the NM 45 Blackhawk. Where ever it was,,, that is wrong. Pull the grips off your 30 carbine. The grip frame will have something like; NXR3-RED, or XR3-RED, molded in the grip frame.
Next, go to our Collectables section and there is a " STICKY" about grip frames. It will show you the outlines of the grip frames.
But,, simply put,, The NM Blackhawks wear the same grips. All calibers.
PS; The only .40 cal was either a Vaquero or a Buckeye Special edition convertible.

pcaine

Bearcat
My NM .30 Blackhawk is Blued Steel. I removed the grip panels and examined the panels and the exposed grip frame. From earlier comments I expected to find some markings. The only marking was on the left side lower inner edge of the grip frame in the form of a single stamped character which is either an "S" or an "8". The panels had no markings.

But revealingly in reading the Instruction Manual for the Ruger New Model Blackhawk which came in the factory box, there is an Exploded View and a parts list. In the Exploded View the grip panels, Rosewood (Sold in Pairs Only) have a part number of "XR00100". In the Exploded View the grip frame has a part number of "XR00300".

So in ordering from Ruger I would use the part number but, in just ordering the grips (panels) from a vendor, I should indicate they go on a grip frame of XR00300 which appears to be the vendor ordering convention, unless I am wrong again.

Whew!!

Thank you..

SATCOM

Blackhawk
pcain,

This seems to be getting too complicated. PM me with your address and I will send you a good pair of Ruger new model grips that will fit your .30 carbine Blackhawk.

contender,

The fact that pcain's NM Blackhawk has a steel frame does not alter what will fit??

Thanks.

SATCOM

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Why would you want to fire the gun while still in the holster? That would require the gun to be cocked before placing it in the holster (very unsafe) unless said holster was made loose enough to allow the cylinder to rotate easily with the gun inside.
Also the wording used for a holster that is not closed on the end is
"Open toe" an open toed holster is not enclosed at the muzzle end.

pcaine

Bearcat
I've order grip panels and a holster.

I've learned a lot from this thread and thank all who contributed. I am most grateful.

pcaine

Bearcat
Here is a picture of my new Barsony holster and the new grip panels. The holster is a bit tight on the cylinder, and I had to adjust the length of the hammer snap strap, but the trigger is exposed and the holster muzzle is open. I figure the leather will loosen up over time.

Interestingly the new grip panels needed a slight adjustment to fit the frame. On the frame there is a small tit designed to fit into the panel and align the panel on the frame. But on the panel the corresponding hole was about 2mm offset. So I took out my Dremel and carefully made it fit.

I'm happy.

New%20Holster.jpg