Ruger Super Blackhawk in .454 Casull

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hey all,

I have been working on a project for the last few months. Ruger supplied us with a pre production Super Blackhawk in .454 Casull. They encouraged us to build a scope mount that would hold up to the recoil. It took a few months but we accomplished that and have the new mounts all ready to go. I received a little note from Gunwriter Max Prasac that the revolvers were released yesterday. He also sent me a photo of a hog he killed over the weekend. He was using the scope mount setup we sent him, it can be seen in the photo.

The following is a photo on our Face Book page of Max, hog and revolver. Max also took the photo.

11870864_1014608081885622_1054490554244647279_n.jpg

This mount is not yet on our web site. If you are lucky enough to get the new revolver and need a scope mount setup just email me and I will get you hooked up. We made a very short run to see if the design needs sorting out. It is a combo of a steel recoil lug which is Patent Applied item and the remainder is 6061-T6 Aluminum. Heavy where it needs to be.

I will be doing photography tomorrow for the instruction sheet. If there is interest I can post some of the photos here.

Welcome to the forum. I recommend your stuff when ever it comes up. Good as it gets IMO. Glad to see Ruger included you. Unless they change the barrel length for the 480 I'm sure it will work, since it doesn't have the same heavy recoil (but heavy enough) it should work fine. Have you seen a 480? Is the barrel the same length as the 454?

Thanks for the welcome,

I feel a little embarrassed but I did not know there was going to be a .480, LOL! I looked around a little, Gun Blast and a few places like that and the guns seem to be identical. I did all of the development and testing with the .454 and have had one of the revolvers for some time and there was never any mention of the .480. I guess I will know soon enough, if things don't fit I am always the first to know, LOL! Thanks for the interest and thank you for recommending our products.

contender

Ruger Guru
No need to feel embarrassed. I figure it should work,,, as they are supposed to be the same except in caliber.
I, like many others here have some of your bases etc. We do appreciate your products!

MaxP

Buckeye
contender said:
Welcome to the Forum!

Also,,, MANY thanks for the info & details.
Question. Will this mount also work on the 480?

Yes it will as dimensionally they are the same.

MaxP

Buckeye
Jack Weigand said:
Thanks for the welcome,

I feel a little embarrassed but I did not know there was going to be a .480, LOL! I looked around a little, Gun Blast and a few places like that and the guns seem to be identical. I did all of the development and testing with the .454 and have had one of the revolvers for some time and there was never any mention of the .480. I guess I will know soon enough, if things don't fit I am always the first to know, LOL! Thanks for the interest and thank you for recommending our products.

It fits! You did your homework and the mount is fantastic as far as I am concerned!

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
I can't seem to get the link to work - please post pics.

I have a few Weigand mounts on Ruger Hunters and they have always worked great for me.

Thank you - it's a great time to be a single action fan!

Sorry I did not have time to look over the image posting tutorial. I am giving it a wack, here is a photo I just shot of the mount installed. I am doing a step by step installation guide. I am not that great of a photographer but it will have to do. If this works I will post another with the scope installed. Scope mount assembled weighs 6.1 ounces.

11218704_1015174775162286_8900787312733910498_n.jpg

Here is a shot with the scope installed.

The recoil lug is made from solid steel. The nosepiece is an Aluminum extrusion, 6061-T6 and the body is made from a solid block of 6061-T6 Aluminum. Total weight is 6.1 ounces.

11855767_1015182661828164_6841886977135676292_n.jpg

Powder Smoke,

I can add a little here.

Hunter configuration, I have TONS of experience with that platform. it would not take ten shots from the 454 to tear it off the Ruger ring cutouts.

Ruger engineering did not feel there was any way to keep a scope mount on this revolver, that is how I got involved. The key factor for Ruger is that I could not drill and tap the revolver anywhere. It took me a lot of time, testing, CNC programming, prototyping, tooling and manufacturing time to get this one right (about three solid months of work). Hopefully the guns will stay consistent.

MaxP

Buckeye
I will add that the other no drill, no tap base that is available from Weaver is so severely limited as to what you can mount on that short rail and ring limited, that this unit doesn't suffer any of those shortcomings. If aesthetics are more important, I would suggest drill and tapping. But, if that isn't an option and you want to put an otic on your revolver with multiple rings, this is your base.

Jack Weigand said:
Powder Smoke,

I can add a little here.

Hunter configuration, I have TONS of experience with that platform. it would not take ten shots from the 454 to tear it off the Ruger ring cutouts.

Ruger engineering did not feel there was any way to keep a scope mount on this revolver, that is how I got involved. The key factor for Ruger is that I could not drill and tap the revolver anywhere. It took me a lot of time, testing, CNC programming, prototyping, tooling and manufacturing time to get this one right (about three solid months of work). Hopefully the guns will stay consistent.

Thank you, explains a lot. Never would have thought the recoil would do that. ps

Three44s

Single-Sixer
Another welcome to Jack!

Reading this thread saved me from trying my Wiegand rail from my .44 mag Super RH over on my .480 SRH.

I am more of a DA guy but that Brisley in .480 tugs at my "heart strings" for sure!

Best regards

Three 44s

Mickey D

Single-Sixer
Good to see you here Jack. You are very innovative in the handgun world.
My very good friend from Australia, pistolsmith Ken Gunaydin was so excited to visit with you last year and become a distributor of your sights in Brisbane.
Ken is currently in route to the states for another visit. Looking forward to it.

I just purchased the SBH Bisley 454 yesterday. Can't wait to wring it out.