FR REVOLVER TO 500 Yards + Videos!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
Recap on what exactly the Franken-Ruger is:
The Franken-Ruger is a free floated barrel that is running through an aluminum shroud. The shroud gives you a place to rest the front part of the handgun that does not change point of impact down range. It also lets you spread out your base (distance between front and rear supports) which makes field shooting so much easier.
The majority of the Franken-Rugers I build also include a muzzle brake which reduces muzzle flip and recoil greatly.

Is this gun for the traditional revolver shooter...nope...does it shoot good and is it easy to shoot under field conditions...YES! and thats the point! It makes shooting under field conditions easier. Am I advocating that you stretch the distance on big game with a 357...nope..but it sure is fun on vermin. The 44 mag of 45 Colt versions can be pushed farther on big game if thats your desire.

The entire base gun is gone through to ensure we have a solid foundation for our build. Anything that needs corrected or adjusted is done prior to the build.

Ernie Bishop finally got the chance to push the Franken-Ruger to 500 yards. He was using a Leupold 2.5-8 handgun scope. Load was 170 Sierra over H110. The ammo was loaded by Frank Bliss.

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcyPO0nPAf0

One of his 500 yard groups.

Here is the video where I shot the Franken-Ruger to 300 yards with a Bushnell Elite 2-6 handgun scope with a 125 XTP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFs2TkIkTeE

Here is the video of me shooting PDogs out to just under 400 yards with the 357 Frankn-Ruger and to 200 yards with the 44 mag Franken-Ruger with a 4x Leupold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0KHi80vCus

This is the 350 yard group I shot with the 125 XTP.

Ernie's Franken-Ruger

My Franken-Ruger 357

My Franken-Ruger 44 mag

Well we have proven again that these shoot great. We now have several customers running these with great results as well. They have shown repeatable accuracy at distance.

My two Franken-Rugers are always available at the shop for people to try out.

Thank you for taking your time to look at all the evidence.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I'd assume that you haven't done one yet, but are you able to - or interested in doing - a nosejob on a Super Redhawk ala the Hamilton Bowen GP-44 such that you could create a Franken-Ruger with a two-spring SRH action in 44mag, 454C, or 480R? I've come to appreciate the Redhawk Action more these days than I have in the past, but my preference lies with the two-spring SRH action, and I'd be very interested in seeing what could be done with a long barreled, ported, tight-gapped 454C, especially on African game.

Would be even more interested in seeing what your tight-gap correction could do with a suppressor stuck on the end.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
Triggers can be made just as nice on a redhawk.

Suppressor would be useless with a bc gap at all

A 454 or 480 cyl could be fit to a redhawk

I will not be messing with the super redhawks

Ernie Bishop

Bearcat
It was good times yesterday. Good to get that goal behind me.
I want to get my drops hardened and shoot multiple distances from Bog Gear in the near future.
Main thing is I was able to spend the whole day with Erik before he takes off to mission training school in Texas (AIM/Adventures In Missions).
Frank Bliss (Extremuntion) and Erik spotted for me.
Wasn't the best of conditions with mirage and such, but found a few sweet spots and ran it to stay in a condition.
Frank let Erik shoot a plethora of toys afterwards, including a 50 cal bolt rig, a 460 S&W and a 500 S&W.
Plus, Erik shot his Glock 17 that he got for his 21st Birthday.
It has been awhile since I have used a LER scope to shoot under pressure at distance. That took some getting used to before I felt comfortable.

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
I have to ask...as a Nam veteran I think recognized your bracelet as one given away by the Montagnards from the central highlands. Yes or No.
Charlie

Ernie Bishop

Bearcat
Charlie,
I will have to ask Frank that question, as that is his hand in that one picture.

charlies said:
I have to ask...as a Nam veteran I think recognized your bracelet as one given away by the Montagnards from the central highlands. Yes or No.
Charlie

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Thanks I know I am way of topic but I have several awarded to me and I'm curious.
Charlie
173 Airborne
Central Highlands
Nam 68-69

Ernie Bishop

Bearcat
Frank answered my question: "No, old Celtic though. Not brass like the Montangnards would have but gold like the Celts would wear in the upper warrior class."

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
Many ask about barrel length. Here is a shorter one.

8" barrel

This is one of the original prototypes just cleaned up some as far as machining goes...this gun shoots sub moa.

In it's original form.

cas6969

Buckeye
People have been putting suppressors on revolvers from the start, gap or no gap. A little help is better than none. :D

On the subject, one of the quietest suppressed guns every is the one built by Knight on a Super RedHawk. 8)

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Ernie - any reason that you use the Tac-3S over any of the other BogPods? I've been a Primos Trigger-Stik fan for a long time, but I've been tempted to try out the BogPod's again - but not sure what the difference between the "tacticals" and the standard red-legged devils might be.

I know you do most of your shooting seated, but is the Tac-3S's 40" max tall enough to use while standing, and if so, is it stable enough to be practical when doing so?

Ernie Bishop

Bearcat
The TAC is steadier...Of course it is heavier too.
I can shoot very tight with the standard Bog Gear FWIW.
When it comes to standing, how far do you want to be able to shoot and what is diameter of the target area you need to stay in?

Varminterror said:
Ernie - any reason that you use the Tac-3S over any of the other BogPods? I've been a Primos Trigger-Stik fan for a long time, but I've been tempted to try out the BogPod's again - but not sure what the difference between the "tacticals" and the standard red-legged devils might be.

I know you do most of your shooting seated, but is the Tac-3S's 40" max tall enough to use while standing, and if so, is it stable enough to be practical when doing so?

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Ernie Bishop said:
The TAC is steadier...Of course it is heavier too.
I can shoot very tight with the standard Bog Gear FWIW.
When it comes to standing, how far do you want to be able to shoot and what is diameter of the target area you need to stay in?

I'm not shooting nearly as far as you are - yet! :mrgreen:

Target area = 6-8", looking to kill deer, hogs, and coyotes
Range = as far as I can get this revolver to deliver the above - "goal" being 250ish
Timepiece = Ruger Redhawk 7.5" in 357/44 B&D, throwing 158grn pills currently at 2000fps currently very comfortably. Asking a lot of a Redhawk to deliver 2-3MOA, especially in my hands. Before I converted it, this revolver kept my 10" and 12" gongs plenty dirty with 357mag loads at 200 and 250, but the 357mag just doesn't hit very hard at 250.

Based on my expected trajectory and energy-at-range, I won't be very comfortable trying to kill deer past 300, even if this I could deliver the shot. This load at 300yrds should be something similar to a 357mag at 100-125yrds, so she'll peter out in that ballpark. My goal for this revolver was 200-250, if I get there and 300 becomes a reality, I'll try it. 400yrds won't be on my horizon.

Ernie Bishop

Bearcat
I need to try to see how steady I can be standing. Not tried this yet.
Oh boy, a new challenge :D
Seated = Approx 1 MOA which will easily be in the kill zone.

Latest posts