Gp 100 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mdevillier

Bearcat
I am new to the ruger forum. I have a question and would appreciate any advice that any of you would be willing to give me. I am about to purchase a gp 100 357. Although I am sure this question has been asked before, I was wondering if it would be better to go with the 4" or the 6". This gun will obviously not be a carry gun, but it will serve a dual purpose. That being for home defense as well as some good old fashioned range time. Again, I thank you for your suggestions.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
For you're use the 6" with longer sight radius and the longer barrel gives you more velocity for range work and plates. That is the same use, mine are used for and I traded my 4" for the 6" just for that and could not be happier.

hittman

Staff member
For home defense AND range time ..... I'd select 4-inch.

Range ONLY ..... I'd pick 6.

Welcome to the Forum.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I own 6 GP100's of all barrel lengths. If I could have just one it would be the 4".
Almost as accurate as the 6" with better balance in the hand. It just feels right in the hand.

schloss

Single-Sixer
That's a tough question, despite purposes, because in the end, you like what you like. I prefer the 4" stuff, but I know many that seriously hate them, and go for 6" instead.

You should get what you like best, in terms of appearance and feel. try everything if you can.

wolfsong

Staff member
For me, the 6inch barrel with the half lug balances perfectly for me, over the 4 inch full lug. I own a 6 inch full lug, a 6 inch half lug and a 4 inch full lug. The 6 inch half lug is my go-to gun. If I'm in the field it's on my hip.

That's just me. Shoot as many variants as you can and decide for yourself. There's the perfect GP 100 out there for you. In the mean time, practice, practice, practice with the one you have now and then practice some more.

Welcome to the forum. Happy and safe shooting!

I had a blued 4 inch, full lug barrel, that was accurate to 100 yards, and with .38 spcl felt like I was shooting .22's. My first gun as a Deputy Sheriff in the late 80's. Easy to qualify with magnum loads- 95/100. Later in life, I sold it, and have had sellers remorse ever since. The 6 inch won't draw as quick, but for a range gun no problem. Could be if you use it for woods carry. Good luck, and let us know what you got and how you like it. :)
gramps

dakota1911

Buckeye
I love my 6 inch, but it is a range gun. For dual use I think 4 inch would be better. On the other hand it is you and your hand, etc. Several gun stores down here have both so you might see what feels better in your hand.

Claims Rep.

Single-Sixer
As others have already said, it's really just personal preference. Go to a gun store and palm them both, then figure out what you like best. I personally prefer the 6" full underlug barrels. Regardless which one you pick, they will both bring a smile to your face at the range!

GP100man

Buckeye
Simple -------- get both !!!

I use my 6" for range & hunting , the 4" is handier & qwiker for HD/SD .

Good holsters & belts are a must to make carrying an option & comfortable!!

GP