Unique Vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GRIZZ

Bearcat
I'm new to here and been lurking for a while. Ruger Revolvers have always been my favorites. I own several Redhawks including a couple of the Redhawks in 357 Magnum. Vaqueros, a few of the Single Six's that look like Vaqueros with the fixed sights and case color frames. Can anyone tell me if there is anything unique, rare, or collectable about this Old Model Vaquero below in 45 Colt high polish stainless, 5 1/2 inch barrel. The faux Ivory grips are very well done with the engraved Ruger Hawk and a phone call to Ruger confirmed they are indeed factory but that is about all they would tell me. I've never seen a Vaquero with these grips before. Also the red factory box I've never came across a box like this with this type of badge before either. If there's anything anyone can tell me about this Ruger I would sincerely appreciate it. I'm looking forward to sharing more photos of my Ruger Revolvers in the near future. Thanks, Rick.

Grizz, welcome to the Forum, nice pictures by the way,good job

as the end label is marked the "DS" meant that these were a "Dealer Special" and if you bought a certain ampount of guns from Ruger, one of their 'programs' you could get this gun for a super deal maybe even 'free' from what I heard dealers say...........I'm pretty sure it was around 2003
Hope this helps, maybe our resident expert and editor of the RENE will have more info for you..He writes the Red Eagle News Exchange and features lots of this unusual and series of numbers and info for us ,who subscribe to the RENE....good luck

Welcome to the forum. I've got a couple of the 5-1/2" brite stainless 45 Colts but mine have the wood grips. I like those girps. I originally used them for CAS several years ago. They are nice guns. Someone should be along with more answers for you.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Welcome to the forum.

Ruger Model 10518. Like Rugerguy posted, it's a Dealer Special Vaquero. Given to dealers that purchased a 12 pack of guns from their distributors.

Reportedly 1000 produced in 2001 in blue #BNV-455DS and 1000 in 2004, SS # KBNV 455 DS, all with grips like yours in two different serial ranges.

Definitely unique; not rare but scarce.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Rare? Sounds like it. Valuable/desirable/collectible? Doesn't seem like it.

In my book, it's just a 5.5" original Vaquero in 45colt.

Who cares that it was a special give away gun as a dealer incentive? Special is only special if there is a special reason to be special... "Good job for buying and selling a few handfuls of Rugers - here's a stock model in a red box with different grips" isn't really a special reason nor special model in my book. I'm sure the pinnacle of collectors would disagree, but I don't collect postage stamps either...

Hamilton Burger

Bearcat
I like it. Prefer the New Vaqueros, but if I was into reloading .45
to high performance levels I would definitely want an original like this.
I don't have any red-box guns or their boxes, and the grips are kinda cool.
All that said, would I pay more for the package? Not much. Maybe just a little.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted above, it's a Dealer Special. The box denotes the DS special. To serious collectors, this is a difference. I have flyers about this special when it was offered. Yes, the grips are the main difference, but this is a different model. To a collector wishing for a complete collection of Vaquero's, this is a variation.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted above, it's a Dealer Special. The box denotes the DS special. To serious collectors, this is a difference. I have flyers about this special when it was offered. Yes, the grips are the main difference, but this is a different model. To a collector wishing for a complete collection of Vaquero's, this is a variation.

GRIZZ

Bearcat
I need to sell it. Still not sure what A fair price would be. It has been fired but is in excellent condition very slight turn line. Rick

hittman

Staff member
Someone here may snap it up. Do your research, determine a price, place a Classified ad here, put your location up and it'll surely move soon.

Good luck with your sale.

chet15

Hawkeye
Varminterror said:

Who cares that it was a special give away gun as a dealer incentive? Special is only special if there is a special reason to be special... "Good job for buying and selling a few handfuls of Rugers - here's a stock model in a red box with different grips" isn't really a special reason nor special model in my book. I'm sure the pinnacle of collectors would disagree, but I don't collect postage stamps either...

Well, that's the difference between a collector and all the others. Every once in a while one of those "rare" common guns turns out to be a winner, especially for those who didn't think to speculate in them for investment .... did I vaguely here somebody say "Ruger Hawkeye"? After all...who wants a single shot pistol???
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
Varminterror said:

Well, that's the difference between a collector and all the others. Every once in a while one of those "rare" common guns turns out to be a winner, especially for those who didn't think to speculate in them for investment .... did I vaguely here somebody say "Ruger Hawkeye"? After all...who wants a single shot pistol???
You could still buy one of those for less than $100 in the early '70's.
Chet15