Cougar is done!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Now that is slick! I like that the frame and cylinder are polished to match the barrel, rather than bead blasted. And if I recall, he welded up the frame to match the barrel rib.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
MaxP said:
cherokeetracker said:
Yes this looks really beautiful I remember people putting Colt Python barrels on S&W s They looked a little weird.

If they were done correctly, they looked pretty good IMO. Here's one that Huntington did -- a "Smython"

photo3-1.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijacking.

Looks good.
I have several more Cougars to build and one smolt. Dunno if I'll be tig welding up the frame or not. That's up to the customer.
Well see what the customer wants for a finish...I know the smolt will be nickled but he hasn't decided whether polished or matte or a mix.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The only improvement I can suggest is to use the rear sight from a Model 19 or Model 66 2 1/2" and 3" barrels which are the only models that have the longer rear sight front tang that goes all the way to the front of the frame to meet the barrel. That would eliminate the need for the little filler piece that appears to be used.

Many don't realize their frame top straps are already built up as shown. It would be much simpler to start with one of those models because the welding is not needed.

photo3-1.jpg

MaxP

Buckeye
This is actually Model 19 with a 4-inch barrel originally which has a large cosmetic "scallop" (for lack of a better term) on the front of the frame that junctures into the factory 4-inch barrel. That scallop was filled and a bridge or boss was raised in the middle of the frame to mate to the rib of the Python barrel. Model 19s with 2 1/2-inch barrels aren't that common to start with and I don't think those who have them want to modify them. The 2 1/2s without the "scallop" still doesn't blend perfectly to a Python barrel necessitating modifications to both the barrel and the frame. Besides, all of the 2 1/2-inch guns are round butts.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes, if it had to be welded I know it had a 4" or longer barrel. The flat top frame of the snubbies wouldn't look any worse, the Colt rib still is above the front of the frame above. And it has a second step above where the rear sight is pieced. At least just changing to the snubby rear sight would eliminate that extra step.

And there's no more common target grips these days than those to convert the new S&W all round butt guns to sq butts.

But that's the beauty of customs, everyone is free to do what they want and share the different ways. I try to eliminate welding on a frame, especially near the barrel threads which can shrink the top of the threaded hole. Thread clean up can then move the hole slightly off center.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Max,

I'm really impressed with your welding skills! That's some nice craftsmanship! One could never tell that top strap wasn't forged like that by S&W originally!
Do you have a heat sink technique to keep the barrel threaded hole from shrinking/deforming? I'm not asking for any of your trade secrets, just if you do something special?

Thx,

stevem

Single-Sixer
I got to handle that very Smython at Jack Huntington's old shop in Grass Valley and it is really nice! The customer that commissioned it is also having/had two other Smythons built. A snub nose, the one pictured above and a 6"

bcgunworks- I really like the way that couger turned out! I love the soft luster of that finish!

MaxP

Buckeye
Hondo44 said:
Max,

I'm really impressed with your welding skills! That's some nice craftsmanship! One could never tell that top strap wasn't forged like that by S&W originally!
Do you have a heat sink technique to keep the barrel threaded hole from shrinking/deforming? I'm not asking for any of your trade secrets, just if you do something special?

Thx,

Jack Huntington built that the gun (I thought I was clear), so as far as trade secrets are concerned, I would suggest calling him at (775) 355-6898. I only wish my welding skills were worthy of commercial success..... :mrgreen:

Again, sorry for the thread hijacking.

CraigC

Hawkeye
He's not retired. He's building me a .500JRH as we speak. I just packed up two slabs of ivory and a slab of micarta to send to him today.